ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Essex Subaru Owners Club (https://www.scoobynet.com/essex-subaru-owners-club-362/)
-   -   I/C spray (https://www.scoobynet.com/essex-subaru-owners-club-362/948617-i-c-spray.html)

jack.west 04 September 2012 02:32 PM

I/C spray

Know this has probably been asked a few times but I'm not going to be silly with it, i've read a little, I know obviously is keeps the intercooler cool by spraying it, i've got the button located on the right of my steering wheel, and that there can be different modes for it, auto, manual and off, how do i know this is actually doing it's job and what benefits and disadvantages does it have?

Cheers in advance.

frayz 04 September 2012 05:16 PM

Easiest way to see if it's working is to get someone to watch through the scoop when you press the button in manual. It should spray for aporox 3 second burst.
In auto it will be activated by the ACT (Air charge temp) sensor and spray accordingly. To see if this is working, pull the pipe off the nozzle and tuck it under your wiper. Go for a spirited drive in "auto" mode and you will see it occasionally spray when the ACTs get high enough to require it.

Basically it works by spraying the cooling fins with water. Water increases the heat transfer through the intercooler core and allows the intercooler to expell the heat quicker.

Blow on the back of your hand, now wet your hand and blow again. You will feel how much cooler it is when wet due to the increased heat transfer.

Intercooler spray works the same way.

Frayz.

'7' 04 September 2012 08:30 PM

Is yours a jdm? Didn't think uk models had auto mode?

frayz 04 September 2012 08:32 PM

UKs don't have auto mode Chris. Correct.

Dont know what Jacks car is, I haven't looked.

jack.west 04 September 2012 08:45 PM

Ah thanks for information frayz, I understand it a lot better now mate,

And yeah i think i must have been reading on a jdm spec or just general forum.

Mine is a type UK. So no it won't have the auto feature, so i'll have to do it manually, i'm guessing overall it cools the intercooler down and makes the car run a bit neater.

frayz 04 September 2012 08:59 PM

Yes, if you're UK spec then you won't have the auto feature. That's JDM only. You will have to add the spray manually. Although to be honest without reading the ACTs it's hard to say how much difference it makes. I used to poke the button on hot days for the placebo effect. Lol.
Would be worth chucking a thermocouple in there just to watch one day though.

'7' 04 September 2012 09:02 PM

If its a UK model then I doubt you'll ever use it. Caning through the gears, flying down the road and then having to take your hand off the wheel to press the button...... Never going to happen is it.

Better off emptying it rather than lugging around 5kg of water for no reason

frayz 04 September 2012 09:25 PM

Pretty much the long and short of it Chris. If we lived in Arizona then maybe worth keeping. But the UK? Forget it.
Better off spending money on heat management under the bonnet. :)

frayz 04 September 2012 09:26 PM

Pretty much the long and short of it Chris. If we lived in Arizona then maybe worth keeping. But the UK? Forget it.
Better off spending money on heat management under the bonnet. :)

Spec'c'57 05 September 2012 01:23 PM

I know i used to use gallons of water in the spec C. glad it had a bloody big tank. :D

BaV 05 September 2012 01:51 PM

Should you put anti freeze or something in the tank?

frayz 05 September 2012 02:44 PM

No. The tank on the uk cars are inside the vehicle. So won't freeze... Not in the UK anyway.

tubbytommy 05 September 2012 02:47 PM

when i fitted my fmic i moved the nozzle to the front bumper and all the water promptly ran out and the ic spray light lit up on the dash.

just trying to work out what valve i need in the pipework to stop this now.

doubt ill use it but like to have everything working in my car.

AWG 05 September 2012 02:50 PM

My tank is puney compared to the Spec-C!

Distilled water only according to the manual

Budgie 05 September 2012 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by AWG (Post 10777931)
My tank is puney compared to the Spec-C!

Distilled water only according to the manual

How often do you need to use yours Andy;)

AWG 05 September 2012 03:31 PM

:lol1: oh here we go!!

I'll have you know I used it for the first time on Monday! Admittedly it was purely to see if the pipes were blocked or not but still...:Whatever_ you guys!

frayz 05 September 2012 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by tubbytommy (Post 10777929)
when i fitted my fmic i moved the nozzle to the front bumper and all the water promptly ran out and the ic spray light lit up on the dash.

just trying to work out what valve i need in the pipework to stop this now.

doubt ill use it but like to have everything working in my car.

One way screen wash valves are available from Halfords on the shelf Dan.

Knotty_ 05 September 2012 03:57 PM

I went to halfords for one the other day, never heard of them! So I went to euro car parts "we don't do small parts"

Bleh.

frayz 05 September 2012 04:42 PM

Halfords have them on the shelf even if the nobheads that work there don't know what you're on about.

I got mine from there.

jack.west 05 September 2012 04:49 PM

Alright well i had a lil try last night and it seems as if it's empty or disconnected, judging by frayz reaction don't think I'll bother using it as from the recommendations on here, may be worth just seeing if it is connected still lol

tubbytommy 05 September 2012 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by frayz (Post 10777997)
One way screen wash valves are available from Halfords on the shelf Dan.

will this do the job??

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PORSCHE-91...item3a689bbed8

frayz 05 September 2012 05:37 PM

Part number HWP06

http://www.swansea-aircooled-club.or...p11~130378.htm

tubbytommy 05 September 2012 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by frayz (Post 10778115)

nice one, ill pop down and get one:thumb:

SirFozzalot 05 September 2012 08:55 PM

I don't use mine often, but I sometimes use it on hot days or if I've been sitting in traffic for a while as I move off to speed up cooling. Does it make a difference? Don't know, but it makes me feel better. :D

tubbytommy 05 September 2012 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by SirFozzalot (Post 10778469)
I don't use mine often, but I sometimes use it on hot days or if I've been sitting in traffic for a while as I move off to speed up cooling. Does it make a difference? Don't know, but it makes me feel better. :D

more buttons = better

man fact number 42

CharlySkunkWeed 05 September 2012 09:25 PM

hell yeah more buttons ! And it makes a noise too , who cares what it does !

Though i use mine quite alot , does no harm and its not the hardest thing to use.

FLAT ERIC 06 September 2012 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by SirFozzalot (Post 10778469)
if I've been sitting in traffic for a while as I move off to speed up cooling. Does it make a difference? Don't know, but it makes me feel better. :D

Cools the charge temp after heat soak from sitting around with no air flow. :thumb: It may be an urban myth but there have been stories of people blowing engines due to caning it straight after sitting in traffic with no charge cooling to offset the raised temps in the I/C. As the temperature of the inlet air increases it not only robs power from the engine but also increases the likely hood of detonation so may not be myth after all.

The marshalls at Santa Pod hate them cos people end up dumping water all over the burnout area. :nono:

I have even seen ice cubes put on top of Top mounts for a 1/4 mile run. :eek:

Budgie 06 September 2012 10:05 AM

Do you remember the guy who used a Carbon Dioxide fire extinguisher to spray on his intercooler before running the 1/4?

Arkwright 06 September 2012 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Budgie (Post 10779023)
Do you remember the guy who used a Carbon Dioxide fire extinguisher to spray on his intercooler before running the 1/4?

He was probably just confused by the words Burn out. :rolleyes: ;)

scooby seb 06 September 2012 11:03 AM

Pete a guy on RTOC uses one on his 5, he has a mate blast it before he runs??