ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   PC stability issues (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/947484-pc-stability-issues.html)

Neanderthal 23 August 2012 04:03 PM

PC stability issues

Months ago I built my own PC based on an overclocked bundle from Scan.
All was well initially but I've been getting more and more frequent BSOD happening.
I did think perhaps as the case has acoustic insulation (pre-installed on the case) that it may be over heating so I added a 140mm fan to the side (extracting).

I thought this had done the trick and went 2 weeks without a crash but today it's done it twice.

I've got the .dmp file windows creates but opening it in notepad doesn't make any sense, wordwrap or not lol

I've decided to try flipping the 140mm fan round so it's sucking air in, see if that makes any difference.

PC specs are i7-2600K @ 3.40Ghz
GTX 560ti @ 861MHz
8Gb ram
Win 7 64bit.

I've not added any hardware since building it. All drivers up to date too.

Need this PC for work and Scan just say to send the motherboard and CPU back for them to test which can take 7-10 working days....

Matt

ALi-B 23 August 2012 07:14 PM

Run it for a day or so on memtest86+

It should get zero errors.

If you get errors, then its a case of pulling/swapping parts or changing clock/voltage setting to get it stable again.

LostUser 23 August 2012 07:15 PM

For random BSODs I would always check the memory and hard disk first.

For memory use Memtestx86+ and for the hard drive use something like the IBM-Hitachi Drive fitness test or chkdsk which might be easier.

To test the temperature theory, either run the PC in the open with the lid off or download a temperature monitoring tool, run it for a while and see if it starts getting hot.

TonyBurns 23 August 2012 07:47 PM

Download and run memtest, you will see in minutes if it's an issue, I would also try reseating and cleaning the connectors and check the mobo for updates, especially if it's a z68 chipset

Tony:)

Neanderthal 23 August 2012 07:53 PM

yeah it's a z68 motherboard.
Will run that test as well. Interestingly since reversing that fan it hasn't crashed. Although that doesn't mean it won't at any minute lol

TonyBurns 23 August 2012 10:16 PM

SSD drive and z68? id bet the bios needs upgrading, had the same problem with mine when they came out, bsod/random crashes, upgraded the bios and not had a problem since ;)

ALi-B 23 August 2012 10:37 PM

SSD?

If its a Sandforce SF2000 series controller (mainly SF-2200), then that could be your problem.

Neanderthal 23 August 2012 11:04 PM

Yeah an SSD, Corsair I think.
Thanks guys! I've never updated the bios before.

ALi-B 23 August 2012 11:22 PM

The Force 3 does have quite a bad reputation for BSODs - even the post recall models.

Still, need to rule the RAM first.

Oh yeah, My PC runs hotter with the covers removed (it needs the case fans to keep the passively cooled parts cool, like the HDs, SSD, RAM and Mobo chipset).

Neanderthal 24 August 2012 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 10762167)
The Force 3 does have quite a bad reputation for BSODs - even the post recall models.

Still, need to rule the RAM first.

Oh yeah, My PC runs hotter with the covers removed (it needs the case fans to keep the passively cooled parts cool, like the HDs, SSD, RAM and Mobo chipset).

It's been running all night, case closed and front door panel shut (I'd taken to leaving this open to improve airflow. Just running Windows and utorrent but even that was sometimes too much for it.

Oh and yeah, it's a Corsair Force 3 SSD :(
Motherboard is a Gigabyte Z68AP-D3

Does anyone know that if I update the bios will it wipe all the overclocking settings?

Neanderthal 24 August 2012 10:54 AM

Ran memtest86+, let it go through a complete test. Zero errors.

ALi-B 24 August 2012 11:07 AM

So that pretty much rules out RAM and CPU. I forgot to ask was there any file names at the bottom of each BSOD?

This may help, i.e if its the same file every time and if its a graphics driver, it would point to a graphics card/driver issue. Likewise with ethernet drivers, sound drivers etc.

If its different file on every BSOD, then that may well be an SSD issue.

Could look at memory dumps, but I'm rubbish at that kind of thing.

Neanderthal 24 August 2012 05:02 PM

Thanks for all your help Ali.
I haven't updated the bios yet, the utility on the CD that came with the motherboard said it didn't need doing?
Anyways, it's been running all day without a hitch so far :pchit::facepalm:

Next time it BSOD I'll have a look to see if it lists a file.

jura11 24 August 2012 05:28 PM

Are you running ATI GPU?

Which case you have there?

Jura

Neanderthal 24 August 2012 07:49 PM

no it's an Nvidia 560ti. Case is a Fractal R-Design or something like that lol

jura11 24 August 2012 07:58 PM

Do you have still dump files(.dmp)?

Jura

Neanderthal 25 August 2012 12:19 PM

I'll have a look Jura. Should have, unless it automatically deletes them after a successful boot.

360ste 25 August 2012 11:03 PM

Sounds like reversing the fan so it is pulling cold air in as helped nicely. What CPU cooler are you running? When I upgraded to a I7 cpu even though not overclocked I went for a corsair H80 water cooling kit to ensure it is well cooled.

TonyBurns 26 August 2012 09:36 AM

It will be your bios, there are 2 revisions of your mobo, r1 and r2, go onto their website and download the latest bios and upgrade, see what you have in there now but ill put my money on it being a UEFI issue

http://uk.gigabyte.com/products/prod...d=3897&dl=1#ov

http://uk.gigabyte.com/products/prod...4015&dl=1#bios

Evolution Stu 31 August 2012 05:57 PM

Run "Whocrashed" (google it) for more details of what is failing.

Check Bios and SSD Firmware for any updates.
Also check windows is actually configured properly to access an SSD (sometimes it screws up) and finally, download and run this monitor as it is excellent and has saved me many a potential screw up with our servers by warning me well in advance of imminent hard disk failures. http://dojonorthsoftware.net/TBM/WindowSMART.aspx

Neanderthal 01 September 2012 12:18 AM

Thanks chaps
It's been completely stable since reversing the fan and I also updated all the inf files (doubt that made a difference though!).
I can't remember what the upgraded cpu fan is, came installed as part of the overclocked bundle. Will deffo run more tests though as I was monitoring temps for months and they were never dangerously high.

My motherboard is the R1 version.

Neanderthal 01 September 2012 07:33 PM

You couldn't write it, no sooner had I typed that, the next time I checked it and it had BSOD!

Will do more checking and deffo update the bios now.