ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Which TS VF = VF48? One for the mappers? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/947470-which-ts-vf-vf48-one-for-the-mappers.html)

Rheid 23 August 2012 01:18 PM

Which TS VF = VF48? One for the mappers?

Hi Guys,

I'm wanting to make the transition to Twin Scroll on my 08 STi. Are any of the TS VF turbos capable of the same output as the 08 STi's stock VF48 and if so would they be suitable for the 2.5 engine?

TIA, Neil

Legacyb4-Dan 23 August 2012 05:08 PM

i think vf44 or vf46 are twinscroll. Why not just go for a larger/aftermarket TS?

jura11 23 August 2012 06:05 PM

If you want similar power as VF48,but TS would have look for VF49/VF42 or VF56(this is used mainly on R205)

If this fail,SC42 or SC46 TS will be good option too,but when you are consider those turbo you should consider too LM420 or MDX 321 TS range

Jura

juggers 23 August 2012 06:40 PM

I have a VF56 of my R205 that I may sell. Personally think you'd be better of going for a bigger single scroll as even the LM/MD turbos are only twin entry not twinscroll.

If it's twinscroll your after than give us a shout as I may sell the VF56 which is practically new only done 500 mile.

Rheid 23 August 2012 08:40 PM

Thanks Jura,

Would all the VFs you listed be suitable for the 2.5 engine as (I think) they were all designed for the JDM 2.0?

Immy, I thought you'd sold your VF56 a few months ago, I'll shoot you a PM later.

TBH, this whole thing is really only a stop gap for minimal outlay until the turbo I want finally becomes available - been waiting a year already!

Thanks again,

Neil

Legacyb4-Dan 23 August 2012 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Rheid (Post 10761879)
Thanks Jura,

Would all the VFs you listed be suitable for the 2.5 engine as (I think) they were all designed for the JDM 2.0?

Immy, I thought you'd sold your VF56 a few months ago, I'll shoot you a PM later.

TBH, this whole thing is really only a stop gap for minimal outlay until the turbo I want finally becomes available - been waiting a year already!

Thanks again,

Neil

I think the additional costs involved in changing to ts are not worth it. Headers, up pipe, downpipe, oil sump, oil pickup. And the ts turbos always cost more than single scroll. And your boxer rumble is gone! If you already have a ts setup ignore me!

Rheid 23 August 2012 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Legacyb4-Dan (Post 10761927)
I think the additional costs involved in changing to ts are not worth it. Headers, up pipe, downpipe, oil sump, oil pickup. And the ts turbos always cost more than single scroll. And your boxer rumble is gone! If you already have a ts setup ignore me!

Ignoring people's not my style, but I get your point on cost vs returns. In this case the car's an 08 so no issues with sump etc and I already have some Spec C headers and up pipe. I'll need a downpipe but as I'm having a full system made anyway it's not really an issue.

And I'm probably in the minority here but I'm prefering the TS sound at the moment - 15 years of rumble and it's now time for a change!

jura11 23 August 2012 11:17 PM

Hi Neil

all above mentioned TS VF turbo are mainly designed for 2.0L and on the 2.5L never been factory fitted TS

As I said,for yours 2.5L will be/or should be good option go with LM/SC or MDX range if you are looking for more bhp like you are running on yours VF48

Jura

Rheid 24 August 2012 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by jura11 (Post 10762163)
Hi Neil

all above mentioned TS VF turbo are mainly designed for 2.0L and on the 2.5L never been factory fitted TS

As I said,for yours 2.5L will be/or should be good option go with LM/SC or MDX range if you are looking for more bhp like you are running on yours VF48

Jura

Hi Jura,

That is exactly my concern. If for example I was to do a deal with Immy for his VF56, would it work OK on my car and be able to give the same performance as the VF48?

As I said earlier, this is very much a stop gap for (hopefully) minimal spend so I'm not looking for more power at this point - but I certainly don't want to lose any!

Cheers, Neil

jura11 24 August 2012 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by Rheid (Post 10762199)
Hi Jura,

That is exactly my concern. If for example I was to do a deal with Immy for his VF56, would it work OK on my car and be able to give the same performance as the VF48?

As I said earlier, this is very much a stop gap for (hopefully) minimal spend so I'm not looking for more power at this point - but I certainly don't want to lose any!

Cheers, Neil

Hi Neil

What I know about this turbo,will make/or should make around 360-370bhp(380bhp as top),is slightly bigger than VF37,which making 340-350bhp(380bhp on the methanol)

Jura

Rheid 25 August 2012 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by jura11 (Post 10762204)
Hi Neil

What I know about this turbo,will make/or should make around 360-370bhp(380bhp as top),is slightly bigger than VF37,which making 340-350bhp(380bhp on the methanol)

Jura

Thanks again Jura. :thumb:

Legacyb4-Dan 25 August 2012 11:58 PM

i didnt think the spec c TS headers would fit around a single scroll header, hence why i mentioned you would need to change, i dont know much about the 08+ impreza setups except that they share a lot of similarities with the 05+ legacy's. I am twinscroll and love it and will be upgrading to a larger twinscroll in the coming months. good luck with your upgrades!