ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   ****Watch out when using cash machines**** (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/94731-watch-out-when-using-cash-machines.html)

mega_stream 10 May 2002 07:22 AM

Heard this yesterday...

I don't know how wide spread this is, but I've heard theres a spate of people going round and inserting plastic sleeves into the card slot on cash machines.

You out your card in, it can still detect the card had gone in, but it can't read the stripe, so it challenges for a pin re-entry until it says sorry and swallows your card.
Leaving the scumbags to come along and remove the plastic sleeve with your card inside. :(

Check before you put your card in!

sammyh 10 May 2002 07:44 AM

This is true I saw it on watchdog or another simular programe.

mik 10 May 2002 08:10 AM

So where can you buy these plastic sheets then? ;)

The Zohan 10 May 2002 08:31 AM

I made a programme for Barclaycard on this very subject, seem to remember that this is called 'strimming' - after the strimmer wire mod so popular for defrauding arcade games back when i was a lad.

These are suprisingly easy to make and use so be careful and if in doubt call your card company ASAP and let them know that a machine has eaten your card, thsy should be able to track it to see if it is being used.

The other popular card scams are;
Shoulder surfing - the person in the Q behind you watches you input your pin whilst apparently on the mobile (usually puts pin into phone for later use) and their accomplise then knicks the card later on. - I am not giving anything away, this has been on CW, etc.

Card clonig - usually in resteruants, card taken from table to run through the PDQ, then run though a hookey mag stripe reader (the size of a matchbox) which stores your info - Info then emailed to illegal card manufacturer and hey presto your card is cloned and in use, could be within an hour of it being swiped! - This was done to me recently!

BOB.T 10 May 2002 08:35 AM

They'll do well to spend any money on my card, hell it won't even let me have any!:rolleyes:

Thanks for the tip offs:)

Bob ( skint)

MattW 10 May 2002 09:11 AM

You can tell whether the card sleeve is in operation by running your finger along the card entry. There will be a couple of prongs sticking out which are used to pull the sleeve out again.

chiark 10 May 2002 09:37 AM

Scumbag will also be hanging around to see your PIN...

This one is indeed true. APACS have actually issued a warning. There's other, more popular ones though such as someone dropping a tenner, saying "is this yours" at the very moment that your card and money is spat out, so you bend down to grab it and their mate whips your card and your money...

SCOTTSCOOBY 10 May 2002 09:45 AM

Hi, yep people dont go up there thinking its not going to be you as i was at abbey national atm and a bloke came up with a knife in my back saying give me the money or ill stab you. i was shocked and scared :( but he made a mistake as i had three mates who saw it and ran after him. he got a kickin and then we told police, this was a long while ago, but now it seems to happen all the time.

Dracoro 10 May 2002 10:15 AM

chiark - just say 'yes, that's my tenner', put your foot on it, take your money from the cashpoint and hey presto you've gained a tenner and the would be thieves are out bt £10 too!

yoza 10 May 2002 11:54 AM

The wonders of the information highway,:(
Thanks a bunch!
back to the old drawing board then;)

carl 10 May 2002 12:34 PM

I thought this was called the 'Lebanese Loop'. It's been around for at least two years, IIRC.

Luke 10 May 2002 09:31 PM

"I thought this was called the 'Lebanese Loop'. It's been around for at least two years,"

No mate .thats a wicked sexual position.

mega_stream 10 May 2002 09:37 PM

Nah, its the female equivalent to a "Prince Albert" :D

ChrisB 10 May 2002 09:52 PM

This one is indeed true. APACS have actually issued a warning. There's other, more popular ones though such as someone dropping a tenner, saying "is this yours" at the very moment that your card and money is spat out, so you bend down to grab it and their mate whips your card and your money...
They'd lose out on me - I never get more than a fiver out at a time :D

Jerome 10 May 2002 10:14 PM

A cashpoint that still gives out fivers!!!

I haven't been able to get fivers out of cashpoints for years.

When my balance is £9.98, this can be a tad frustrating!

BOB.T 11 May 2002 12:01 AM

A cashpoint that still gives out fivers!!!

I haven't been able to get fivers out of cashpoints for years.
He's arranged a special deal where he can withdraw his wage in one hit;):D:D:D

Tiggs 11 May 2002 10:10 AM

£5????? is that a northern cash point? ;)

does it have a big trough at the bottom for change like a slot machine ;)

Tiggs

ChrisB 11 May 2002 11:36 AM

:D

Chris - coughing with laughter :D

skiddusmarkus 11 May 2002 12:13 PM

"£5????? is that a northern cash point?

does it have a big trough at the bottom for change like a slot machine "
A JCB was used to rob my local northern Barclays,but the bucket broke under the weight of all the coppers;)

Dunk 05 October 2002 12:30 PM

Anyone interested in a group buy ?

[Edited by Dunk - 5/10/2002 12:30:58 PM]