ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Insurance (https://www.scoobynet.com/insurance-19/)
-   -   3points for holding phone!! How much will my insurance increase??? (https://www.scoobynet.com/insurance-19/947241-3points-for-holding-phone-how-much-will-my-insurance-increase.html)

Rbon91 21 August 2012 02:26 PM

3points for holding phone!! How much will my insurance increase???

As above been done done today be coppers for passing a phone across the cab of my van... How much will this affect my insurance??

d4vidh 21 August 2012 02:39 PM

I'm guessing its a CU80 conviction code you got hit with. How much it will affect your premium dont know. Shop around come renewal time anyway and see what sort of prices you get. Either that or run your details through a comparison site with and without the conviction and see what the difference is.

legacy_gtb 21 August 2012 02:42 PM

What???? points for passing an object to someone else????? ..... no mate, thats just not on!

Tell me more as this sounds crooked as fook! Was it ringing and you passed it across for someone else to answer or what ..... i know someone who went to court over a copper being a bell over a similar issue, and he walked away from it. lost earnings for an afternoon, but definately scored the moral victory!

Rbon91 21 August 2012 02:59 PM

My brother was ringing me but in rental so had no hands free. Copper said saw Phone by my ear but was passing it over to my apprentice. Would challenge it of was only one cop but there were 2 of them.. Apparently you don't stand a chance if there's 2 cops in car

Tidgy 21 August 2012 03:01 PM

were you actualy takign a call at the time? records will show if it was an active call or if it was never answered. why would you hold an unaswered phone to your ear?

Bean1984 21 August 2012 03:04 PM

Absolute b0ll0cks mate. Take them to court with a copy of your phone records proving that ypu was not having a conversation on your phone at the time they pulled you. If there going to prosecute you for passing an item the courts will laugh at them mate. What if you was passing your mate a piece of paper with a clients details on, would they try n prosecute you for that?

Rbon91 21 August 2012 03:06 PM

Apparently according to the coppers even havin a phone in you hand is a offence!!! ****in stupid!

Bean1984 21 August 2012 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Rbon91 (Post 10758833)
My brother was ringing me but in rental so had no hands free. Copper said saw Phone by my ear but was passing it over to my apprentice. Would challenge it of was only one cop but there were 2 of them.. Apparently you don't stand a chance if there's 2 cops in car

Did they get a photographic picture of the item by your ear mate. Your brother would be able to confirm that your apprentice answered the phone mate as well as the phone company voice recordings if they was activated mate

Rbon91 21 August 2012 03:14 PM

Nope no pictures taken! Also missed call mt apprentice was calling him back!!! Grrrrrr

legacy_gtb 21 August 2012 03:14 PM

Exactly! Dont just bend over and take it, appeal and dont accept it! Rozzers are people too and they make mistakes!

huzzy1 21 August 2012 03:21 PM

I attended a Call Divert course yesterday after being caught on my phone.

Even just holding the phone in your hands you can be done under the CU 80 umbrella. There is a massive caveat that covers holding a hand held communication device.

You're screwed mate, bend over and take it!

Rbon91 21 August 2012 03:23 PM

Was to women coppers (no affence to women) but they were determined to give me a ticket!!! No matter what I said! They said they saw it by me ear then I went on saying it wasn't... They finials said even if you had it in your hand still a offence! But they wernt in full uniform I.e no hats heard that matters when getting a ticket??

Rbon91 21 August 2012 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by huzzy1 (Post 10758863)

Even just holding the phone in your hands you can be done under the CU 80 umbrella. There is a massive caveat that covers holding a hand held communication device.

What's a call divert course? Can you do that rather points??? Not bothered about £60 it's the point coz I'm only 20

Rbon91 21 August 2012 03:32 PM

What if they have spelt you adress wrong on ticket??

Moley 21 August 2012 04:23 PM

A CU80 conviction is quite a bad one these days with some insurers.

Rbon91 21 August 2012 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX (Post 10758944)
A CU80 conviction is quite a bad one these days with some insurers.

Great ;(

tom-r33 21 August 2012 10:14 PM

so how do coppers get away with sitting in their cars and talking on their radio's???

madscoob 21 August 2012 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by tom-r33 (Post 10759437)
so how do coppers get away with sitting in their cars and talking on their radio's???

thier SPECIALS gets coat

huzzy1 22 August 2012 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Rbon91 (Post 10758869)
What's a call divert course? Can you do that rather points??? Not bothered about £60 it's the point coz I'm only 20

In certain counties (Suffolk and the Thames Valley) if you get pulled over for a CU80 and it is your first conviction then they MAY offer you the Call Divert course. It's run by AA Drivetech on behalf of the Council and is there to educate rather than condemn drivers.

It's not something you can volunteer for, you have to wait for the letter of invitation throught he post once you have paid your £60.

Rbon91 22 August 2012 10:25 AM

Ohh rite... Well going into the police station this week going to play sob story hopefully it will work

scouser321 22 August 2012 06:24 PM

I hope your not with Greenlight. If so you'll be shopping else where come renewal

CharlySkunkWeed 22 August 2012 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by huzzy1 (Post 10758863)

surely it only applies if the divice is activley in use ? And not on speakerphone ! What if the phone is switched off ? All would be easily dispelled with phone records at the time off offence !

Think the OP is screwed as the phone will show as active wether it was incoming or outgoing its still in use , but just for a phone in the hand ? Bollox.

bustaMOVEs 22 August 2012 07:15 PM

From what I was told a being on phone ticket on your licence is BAD as insurers now class it nearer to the drink driving offence as a lot of people text and is very risky to other road users so just as dangerous.

Rbon91 22 August 2012 09:27 PM

It was my first offence from drivin had my lisence almost 4years. I've been to my local police station today and they said I should have been offered the call divert course on roadside... So speaking to lawyer tomorrow see what I can do..

bustaMOVEs 22 August 2012 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Rbon91 (Post 10760700)
It was my first offence from drivin had my lisence almost 4years. I've been to my local police station today and they said I should have been offered the call divert course on roadside... So speaking to lawyer tomorrow see what I can do..

Oh good luck maybe be looking up for you then. Hope so,as I would not like to get a ticket for on the phone nowadays.
Get a Bluetooth kit for car. You can pick a stereo up for under £100 ready to go.:thumb:

Rbon91 23 August 2012 05:15 AM

I usually have Bluetooth but in rental atm as van was in bump off getting repaired....

SRSport 31 August 2012 11:02 PM

I didnt realise you can get 'done' just for holding a phone. I always hand my phone to my wife if it rings and Ive left it in my pocket or in the side pocket of the car. If you have dash mount for it is that ok to operate? You can get GPS maps for them now so where do you stand using that?

Rbon91 31 August 2012 11:04 PM

Nope any buttons you have to press is illegal. Everything has to be voice opporated

SRSport 31 August 2012 11:14 PM

Interesting, I wonder why they are allowed to sell sat nav apps then as you have to touch your phone to operate it.

What are the least penalising points to have on your licence? Speeding ones?

Im holding my breath over whether I got caught by one of the M25 gantry cameras. It was a sudden and unexpected 50mph with little traffic and for no obvious reason. No one paid any attention to it and kept on driving at 70-80mph, I dropped down to 60mph but thats still 10mph over. Would be gutted to pay £60 and then an excess for 5 years just for that.

TonyBurns 02 September 2012 11:53 AM

The law basically states that if the car is running and you have your seatbelt on and even pulled over to answer the call they can do you for it, your engine should be off minimum and the car stationary.

Satnav apps are slightly different as you plan your course first and leave it, so its normally in a cradle, if it rings then you (should) have a blue tooth device (my C3 has one standard so can answer via the steering wheel/column, my scoob doesnt but I put it on silent whilst driving in that as I cannot hear anything in the Spec C :lol1: ).

Tony:)