ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Why can't we have anything nice! (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/946039-why-cant-we-have-anything-nice.html)

winston69 10 August 2012 05:37 PM

Why can't we have anything nice!

Well two weeks to the day after collecting my car from Prodriverules, aka Ryan, where it went for a full strip down and respray, incorporating a new windscreen

Driving home and a huge stone flicks up and chips the new windscreen bang in the middle of the drivers view.... :mad::razz::mad::Suspiciou:cuckoo::rolleyes::eek:

Mutha chuffa
:freak3:

Unsure on what's my best course of repair...

My excess is £25 windscreen repair or £80 for a new windscreen.... again :hjtwofing

the hamster 10 August 2012 05:56 PM

bloody crap luck chap, i'd go with the fix 1st and take it from there.

madmarx 10 August 2012 05:59 PM

Earlier this year during the heavy rain times, i got my windscreen chipped and spotlight glass holed in the same week, different days ! Loads of puddles with loose stones in and it was trucks that did me both times. Grrr.

5cooby1 10 August 2012 06:01 PM

Bloody hell mate

Good job it didn't scratch the paint tho.

TeddyTaylor 10 August 2012 06:02 PM

Nitemare pal. Really feel for you there. I remember 5 years ago in my sensible days i treated myself to a brand new Ford KA. I had only done 190 miles in it and sat in slow lane behind big truck and it pinged a stone up leaving a massive crack in Heated front screen. I wasn't best pleased a tell thee!! Hope you get it sorted soon mate.

winston69 10 August 2012 06:22 PM

What do ya reckon, fix or new screen? May not have a choice with the chip being where it is...

mrmadcap 10 August 2012 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by winston69 (Post 10745254)
Well two weeks to the day after collecting my car from Prodriverules, aka Ryan, where it went for a full strip down and respray, incorporating a new windscreen

Driving home and a huge stone flicks up and chips the new windscreen bang in the middle of the drivers view.... :mad::razz::mad::Suspiciou:cuckoo::rolleyes::eek:

Mutha chuffa
:freak3:

Unsure on what's my best course of repair...

My excess is £25 windscreen repair or £80 for a new windscreen.... again :hjtwofing

Mate, a few years ago i drove my brand spanking new Scoob out of the dealers and got half a mile down the road when a stone hit the screen and i had to watch the crack travel from one side of the screen to the other:wall:

The Autoglass man said it was the newest car he'd ever worked on!

mervil 10 August 2012 07:20 PM

That really is bad luck :(

Call them out, if they can repair it and they are happy then stick with that, they're the experts :) if they say replace it then pay the excess! :thumb:

gpssti4 11 August 2012 09:20 AM

I had two new windscreens in two days a couple of years ago! Then another time the local council were cutting the grass verge and a stone flew up from their mower chipping my screen, I reported it to the council, and, hey-presto they offered to replace my screen :)

ditchmyster 11 August 2012 09:39 AM

sods law mate, i went 5 yrs without changing a screen, then had 3 in about 8 months.

See what the expert says.

winston69 11 August 2012 07:40 PM

Turns out Autoglass won't deal with my insurance company.. bloody brilliant...

So after a recommendation I'm booked in with the AA for a replacement or repair on Monday

gazzawrx 11 August 2012 09:30 PM

if it's just a stonechip then take it to one of those stone chip repairers that you find sat in gazebo's on car parks, last time i had a stone chip on my s3 i took it to the local one on halfords car park, bunged him £25 and he repaired it for me.

As long as it's not cracked you'll be ok.

IggyRB320 11 August 2012 09:40 PM

I had the screen smart repaired in the wife's JCW mini the other day.
Stone chip from a lorry & you can't tell now where the chip was.
Great job!!

If you have a new screen, just check your paintwork after the works complete, as the screen is bonded in and a 'not so careful' technician could cause damage getting the screen out!
Happened to a mate of mine!!!

winston69 12 August 2012 12:10 PM

Well now looks like it's going to be pissing it down tomorrow, hope he's got a canopy in his van :wonder:

winston69 20 August 2012 10:33 PM

New screen in - sorted :thumb:

prodriverules 20 August 2012 10:36 PM

Only just seen this James,what a ball ache bud
Glad it sorted now.

JonMc 20 August 2012 10:40 PM

At least your was an accident - I too have a chipped windscreen, complete with a gash were the stone hit the bonnet. To add to that I have an elbow shaped dint in my roof just above the drivers door and a cracked rear bumper were someone did a hit and run - I reckon it's all Ryan touting for follow-on referals:eek:

prodriverules 20 August 2012 11:00 PM

Lol,its the mile munching your doing Jon,it's doing her no good at all,I'm crying down here!

JonMc 20 August 2012 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by prodriverules (Post 10758280)
Lol,its the mile munching your doing Jon,it's doing her no good at all,I'm crying down here!

It was never meant to be a daily runner though - will run a treat when I sort the brakes and get your old turbo fitted though:norty:

Need to speak to a dint puller about the roof:wonder:

prodriverules 20 August 2012 11:14 PM

Very true it will go rather well indeed then mate!
I'd try some ptfe based lube behind the dust seals on the brakes and a bloody good bleeding,might be a bit of crap some where in the lines after the disturbance from a full bleed with me after fitting the brembos

JonMc 21 August 2012 08:45 AM

One of the local guys is a mechanic so I'm off to his garage after hours a week on Saturday - access to ramps, airlines etc will make it easier. We'll helicoil the caliper, bleed the system, blow the calipers with an airline to make sure they're clear and do the ABS delete - pics to follow:thumb:

prodriverules 21 August 2012 09:42 AM

Look forward to it Jon as it will give me an a heads up for mine:)

dirtybarry 21 August 2012 03:10 PM

sods law