ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Afterburner Vortex cabin noise (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/945754-afterburner-vortex-cabin-noise.html)

WRX 78 08 August 2012 12:35 AM

Afterburner Vortex cabin noise

Hello all

I have just booked in at scoobyworld to get a AB vortex angled exit backbox for my hawkeye WRX.

My question is about how much cabin noise there is, now i searched the forums and there are several similar topics, however i would like to know only about how much cabin drone there is with having only the backbox changed, the mid pipe and the rest of the system are totally standard.

In all the other posts i seen regarding this , the replies about how loud it is seem to be made by people with centre section / up pipe etc being changed too. And this will clearly be different to just the backbox being changed

Just wondering if i will need to get a bung ? or is it not mega loud with just the BB.

Any advice much appreciated

Cheers!

ScoobySteve69 08 August 2012 05:09 AM

Shouldn`t really use a bung as they seem to cause a restriction which may lead to problems.

WRX 78 08 August 2012 07:05 AM

Hopefully i dont need one then, i guess i will have to wait and see what the cabin noise is like, is really only long drives that might bother me

adz556 08 August 2012 10:55 AM

Shouldn't be too bad with just a back box but bungs are not good! they restrict the system massively and can cause problems with back pressure

QUICKSCOOB 08 August 2012 11:32 AM

Have sent PM for you.

powerwrx 08 August 2012 07:43 PM

it wont be all that bad with just the backbox..ive had the AB on my old bugeye and it wasnt too bad fully decatted

Wilky_Boy 08 August 2012 08:05 PM

Hi mate. I have one fitted to my 2004 WRX and to be honest I don't find it an issue. It's not too bad at all. It can 'drone' a tiny bit but to be honest if you are on the motorway and just cruising along then assuming you have a light foot you will be fine. Just enjoy the great noise it makes when you want it to! :thumb:

vicks 08 August 2012 08:21 PM

i had just the back box fitted and the drone was minimal.
i now have a full de cat up pipe and turbo back system and the drone is loud and when on boost wow it is loud.. but a put a smile on your face loud.. HEY its an impreza be loud and proud of it

WRX 78 08 August 2012 11:06 PM

Thanks for the replies guys...

I was just concerned a bit about cabin drone, but you answered that for me.

I hope it is loud on the outside though!!

I love everything about my car apart from it being as quiet as 1.0 Fiesta!! is just not right with a 2.5 turbocharged engine!!

A week from now though everyone should be able to hear me coming!!:thumb:

WRX 78 21 August 2012 02:05 AM

I had my backbox changed and there is no noise inside the car and not much outside:(

I found out that on the hawkeye WRX there is a very big resonator in the centre section, so im booked in for next week to get that changed too:)

So if there any other hawkeye owners thinking of just the AB vortex backbox i would recommend get the cat back done too.

I am really impressed with the looks of the angled exit , really suits the car , however the amount of sound with just the BB was a bit of a let down......roll on next week!!