ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Want my Burble back! (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/945109-want-my-burble-back.html)

hutchy180 02 August 2012 11:01 AM

Want my Burble back!

Hey I purchased my 2003 wrx about a year ago and it came fitted with a unequal manifold fitted that the previous owner fitted an I'm looking to restore that almighty burble these cars are known for! Im Looking for places to buy a Un-equal manifold but some say slight modification needed to sump before fitting? Have any one had any exsperience in having to do this or am I looking in the wrong place? Don't wanna go back to stock ones though.. Any Help appreciated.. Thanks

MarkC 02 August 2012 11:31 AM

It might be worth contacting Harvey on here about his ported oem headers and up pipe to match the turbo on your car for better performance.

afaik harvey's ported headers and up pipe are good for up to 400 bhp plus

send harvey a pm

https://www.scoobynet.com/member.php?u=5340

If you want a loud burble then blitz nur spec r would be a good choice.

stevemoir 02 August 2012 11:45 AM

Right the unequal manifold gives the Subaru burble

It's the equal length that you loose the burble

The modified sump your talking about is a job that needs done to enable the EQUAL manifold to fit our cars (usually a 2.5 sump with pick up stick)

The way your talking sounds as though the previous owner has fitted an equal manifold

To go unequal again you will need

Blob sump with oil pick up
Unequal manifold (from lateral / Harvey etc)

Hope that helps

Steve

Scott@ScoobySpares 02 August 2012 11:51 AM

you will already have a twin scroll/equal length hears sump these are smaller than a normal sump so you can just leave it as it is as the un-equal length headers will clear the sump you have fitted no problems, its when going from un-equal to equal length headers you have to change the sump, We have a standard set with sti up pipe £80 or a set of gt spec 3 bolt headers with harvey trick up pipe £350

scott...

hutchy180 02 August 2012 02:27 PM

Hey sorry ment to say it came with equal headers the previous owner had fitted.. I ordered a set of Un-equal length a while ago and had to send them back because i thought I was mugged off as they did not clear passed the sump. The kibd that are fitted look like the kind u can get off eBay also. Dunno if that affects the sump or anything either?

hutchy180 04 August 2012 10:03 AM

Tops

rexguy 09 August 2012 08:32 AM

Just make sure that you don't go fitting tubular unequal length headers and expacet the burble to cone back - it won't. Tubular unequal lenght headers have a higher pitched noise reminiscent of a burble below 4k rpm before making a more inline 4 / Evo type sound on boost to the redline. You need ported OEM headers from Harvey Smith for earlier sound, more torque, and the return of the almighty burble.

hutchy180 09 August 2012 11:22 AM

what sort of price range would i be looking at? would a set of standard sti headers be a downgrade to what i have or? i just spent a hunk of cash to get prodrive alcon calipers and managed to get a second hand set of bells just wating for my next pay check to get the rest of disk from godspeed lol

rexguy 09 August 2012 11:46 AM

You have to be honest with yourself about what your priorities are. If you won't like the car if it doesn't burble, you should be looking for the best performing burbling package you can get - and nothing else. Standard STI headers will be fine but Harvey's ported OEM headers and uppipe are the best burbling packaging and are good for up to 400bhp. They will compliment your brakes and other nice bits that you have put on the car.
There are quite a few people on here that have fitted tubular unequal length headers or equal length headers believing that it would deliver increased performance and ownership satisfaction, only to return to OEM headers or even sell the car as they felt the Subaru soul had been lost.
IIRC, Harvey's ported OEM headers and uppipe are £360 on and exchange basis.
Harvey's email is: harveysmith1@btinternet.com and he also posts on here as Harvey.

hutchy180 09 August 2012 01:52 PM

is this what these harvey sound like? been looking for sound comparisons but cant seem to find many on YouTube.. im assuming different backbox (exhaust) will also give off different tone of sound as i am not to keen on that note.. my mate has a vortex exhaust on his and it sounds awesome!

rexguy 09 August 2012 03:27 PM

The quality of the note is largely in the backbox and centre pipe. Harvey's ported headers sound like standard headers, so if you fit the same exhaust system as your mate - assuming your mate is still using the OEM headers - you will get the same noise. Job done.