ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   The Olympic flame? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/944783-the-olympic-flame.html)

speedking 30 July 2012 01:29 PM

The Olympic flame?

Lit from the sun in Greece, transported thousands of miles by thousands of torch bearers (most of the time in a miner's lamp in a vehicle admittedly), carried by young aspiring athletes to the cauldron during the Opening Ceremony, all to preserve the integrity of the original flame.

How did it get from the 7 lighting points to the other petals?

From USA today:

The "petals," each fitted with an igniter

So the cauldron is mostly just a giant cigarete lighter and the preceding weeks of effort were discarded; or am I wrong?

specialx 30 July 2012 01:52 PM

You know Santa isn't real don't you? :D:thumb:

Tidgy 30 July 2012 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by speedking (Post 10729857)
Lit from the sun in Greece, transported thousands of miles by thousands of torch bearers (most of the time in a miner's lamp in a vehicle admittedly), carried by young aspiring athletes to the cauldron during the Opening Ceremony, all to preserve the integrity of the original flame.

From USA today:

So the cauldron is mostly just a giant cigarete lighter and the preceding weeks of effort were discarded; or am I wrong?

From what i gather its there as a back up just in case. They lit a seperate flame while htey moved it then relit it form that flame, not from the spark plugs,,, hahaha

Tidgy 30 July 2012 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by specialx (Post 10729884)

what do you mean :confused::confused::confused::confused:

you cant tell me that now after 30 yers of believing in him

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: :cry:

JTaylor 30 July 2012 02:17 PM

Don't tell him about Barcelona, ffs! :lol1:

Leslie 30 July 2012 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by speedking (Post 10729857)

From USA today:

I really can't think why you are wasting the space to ask about it.

Les

speedking 30 July 2012 05:46 PM

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I'm genuinely interested to know whether the integriy of the 'Olympic flame' was maintained during the lighting of the cauldron, or whether all the preceding effort was just a PR sham. Someone may have read some explanation somewhere, I can't find anything.

boxst 30 July 2012 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by speedking (Post 10730167)

I'm genuinely interested to know whether the integriy of the 'Olympic flame' was maintained during the lighting of the cauldron, or whether all the preceding effort was just a PR sham. Someone may have read some explanation somewhere, I can't find anything.

I would say that 'sham' was a bit harsh. It absolutely was a PR thing to try and get the Olympic spirit throughout the country.

FlightMan 30 July 2012 06:17 PM

I thought the lighting of the flame was one of the most moving things I've ever seen. It is such an elegant design.

The whole "everlasting flame" is a bit of a nonsense anyway so I'm not sure why the OP bothered.

RobsyUK 30 July 2012 06:47 PM

I'm sure I heard on the radio that the flame went out at one point (some dude with a lighter saved the day) but they said there was a back up flame ...

albob 30 July 2012 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by speedking (Post 10730167)

the integrity of the flame was maintained ---- the young athletes each had a torch and lit a petal each, (how the other petals were light is immaterial) therefore the original flame is contained in the flame of the cauldron --- simples

Leslie 31 July 2012 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by RobsyUK (Post 10730277)
I'm sure I heard on the radio that the flame went out at one point (some dude with a lighter saved the day) but they said there was a back up flame ...

Not sure where that is supposed to have happened,you did not say.

During the torch relay right from the start of bringing the flame from Greece, a miners' lamp was used which also was lit from the original flame. If the flame went out it could be relit from the original flame in the miners' lamp.

Les

Blue by You 31 July 2012 02:50 PM

That's no surprise to anyone on here.
I already heard that from the Easter Bunny :lol1:

ALi-B 31 July 2012 03:07 PM

The big questions I ask are:

Was it installed and comissioned by a Gas-Safe engineer?

The petals are part of the burner assembly so should only be fitted by a qualified professional.......in this case a bunch of twelve year olds :D

Also I see no flame failure device, which all new open flame gas hobs and fires should be fitted with now. :nono: