ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Jailbreaking. Talk to me. (strictly no apple vs the world comments) (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/944671-jailbreaking-talk-to-me-strictly-no-apple-vs-the-world-comments.html)

subaruturbo_18 29 July 2012 03:39 PM

Jailbreaking. Talk to me. (strictly no apple vs the world comments)

I am looking in to jail breaking my iPhone 4s, iOS 5.1.1

I literally no nothing about jail breaking, other than you can get some apps and features that you can't on an iphone in standard form.

Where and how do it do it? And does it cost or is it free?

I have seen there are some guides on the internet but i don't know which to trust.

I know a lot of you guys have done it so just looking for advice really.

boxst 29 July 2012 03:42 PM

It is very easy.

Follow the step-by-step guide here: http://www.iclarified.com/entry/inde...id=22352&laid=

PLug your phone into iTunes and back it up first!

If it goes wrong (happens occasionally) don't worry and start again from the putting into DFU mode bit.

mystery_machine 29 July 2012 04:09 PM

Back up any photos and videos you have on your phone also as i forgot to do that when i did it and lost about 500 pictures...

RobsyUK 29 July 2012 05:08 PM

Is it illegal?

JackClark 29 July 2012 05:52 PM

No not illegal, your phone, crack on. iclarified as suggested is the best starting place.

ronjeramy 29 July 2012 06:15 PM

You tube is a good source to show you how it's done too. :)

jpor 30 July 2012 06:12 AM

Just a bit of caution on Jailbreaking. Yes it's a good thing, but there are some Apps that after upgrading may not work :( for example the Sky Go app will not work on Jailbroken devices :( there are fixes such as something called 'XCON' which is free to install from 'Cydia', which is the app that gets placed onto a jailbroken I-device such as the Iphone, pod and Pad.
But Sky have updated the app twice since and there is a wait on at the moment for an updated version to 'Xcon' so that the app will function again on a jailbroken device.

There are other apps such as Mobile banking that may not work once the phone is jailbroken. But if you dont like the jailbreak then just simply restore the phone using itunes again. :) Not many people would have told you this potential pitfall ;) I have both my I devices Jailbroken for the extra functionality such as SBsettings etc.. Just remember that when Apple bring out an upgrade via Itunes, that you dont upgrade unless you want to keep the jailbreak, as everytime you upgrade the IOS, it brakes the jailbreak, and you have to do another with an updated Jailbreak to the new IOS when its available. :brickwall

subaruturbo_18 30 July 2012 08:37 AM

Thanks for all of the info.

I have now jail broken my device using the absinth jailbreak.

Are there any worthwhile apps?

I've got sbsettings

subaruturbo_18 30 July 2012 08:38 AM

Thanks for all of the info.

I have now jail broken my device using the absinth jailbreak.

Are there any worthwhile apps?

I've got sbsettings, winterboard & a few other tweaks but nothing that has really given me a huge benefit.

JackClark 30 July 2012 08:52 AM

There's not much that shines any more, most features are now available without jailbreak. MiFi used to be good but expensive.

Of course if you're a pirate most things are now free.

Ant 30 July 2012 09:00 AM

5 icon spring board and dock
Cyntact
I like ncsettibgs too for toggle in notifications

An0n0m0us 30 July 2012 10:28 AM

I use pdanet for wifi hotspot as it has always worked well for free tethering.

subaruturbo_18 30 July 2012 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 10729543)
There's not much that shines any more, most features are now available without jailbreak. MiFi used to be good but expensive.

Of course if you're a pirate most things are now free.

Decided not to use torrents or pirate software.

Paying for everything. Some apps i'm weary about paying for though, as i know on android some had bugs and it could be awkward to get a refund.

The Cydia app centre reminds me a lot of the android market place a couple of years a go when i used it.

Thanks for all the help people.

Keep the app recommendations coming in, and any good themes too.

Had a few but had missing icons etc.

Schmoozer 30 July 2012 02:27 PM

I done this ages ago as i've got a 3GS had it from new on contract and paid over £1500 for it over 2 years, so I was a worried about doing it at first but one of the main reasons was I wanted the tomtom app for work.. The whole phone slows down but I can live with that. Enjoy all the things Apple wouldn't let us have..

Schmoozer 30 July 2012 02:40 PM

Oh and I've just picked it up as I go along, lost loads of pix & vids but luv having films and music & move it where it want it with Ifile..

Ifile is a must..

JackClark 30 July 2012 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Schmoozer (Post 10729919)
one of the main reasons was I wanted the tomtom app for work.. The whole phone slows down but I can live with that. Enjoy all the things Apple wouldn't let us have..

Apple will let you have the TomTom app but will charge you for it, what you mean to say is "I wanted to steal the TomTom app" so annoying as you steal someone else's work so you can do your own.

Neanderthal 30 July 2012 05:40 PM

There are other proper free navigation apps available so you don't need to jailbreak if that's the only reason you've done it.

JackClark 30 July 2012 06:13 PM

iOS 6 comes with turn by turn navigation… at last.

subaruturbo_18 30 July 2012 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 10730213)
iOS 6 comes with turn by turn navigation… at last.

It's the google street view integrated one isn't it?

Schmoozer 31 July 2012 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 10730065)
Apple will let you have the TomTom app but will charge you for it, what you mean to say is "I wanted to steal the TomTom app" so annoying as you steal someone else's work so you can do your own.

Like it said in the title of the thread, no apple vs the world comments..

Paid £1500 for the phone found it was s**t and everything locked or buy from ringtones to alarm tones etc. I've paid for numerous apps that I've found to be rubbish including sat navs and have since deleted them, you don't get a refund so I hardly find it the crime of the century especially since I didn't have a 3G signal for over a year..

Kind of evens it's self out, and before you go all PC and never do anything that not totally above board on me, I'm sure you or someone in you family or friends does so preach to them thanks..

mrmadcap 31 July 2012 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Schmoozer (Post 10731715)
Like it said in the title of the thread, no apple vs the world comments..

Paid £1500 for the phone found it was s**t and everything locked or buy from ringtones to alarm tones etc. I've paid for numerous apps that I've found to be rubbish including sat navs and have since deleted them, you don't get a refund so I hardly find it the crime of the century especially since I didn't have a 3G signal for over a year..

Kind of evens it's self out, and before you go all PC and never do anything that not totally above board on me, I'm sure you or someone in you family or friends does so preach to them thanks..

Well said that man:thumb:

Schmoozer 31 July 2012 06:44 PM

And just for the record, I still can only get 3G in 2 other small areas, town and an industral estate other then home, and home slows down at night dramatically.. But that's ok for me to pay £26 a month for things I can't use????

JackClark 31 July 2012 07:03 PM

I have a feeling you're being serious. You should realise that there have been hundreds of redundancies at TomTom, due in part to your stealing. That you try to justify this with your own stupid mistakes, lack of due diligence and ignorance only goes to show that you sir are an idiot of the first degree.

JackClark 31 July 2012 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by subaruturbo_18 (Post 10730703)
It's the google street view integrated one isn't it?

No, Google maps are being dropped. I'll miss street view, but turn by turn more than makes up for it.

JackClark 31 July 2012 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by mrmadcap (Post 10731733)
Well said that man:thumb:

Another prize plum. I'll steal your car because my hotel room has no air conditioning and it's hot outside. Well said?

Schmoozer 31 July 2012 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 10731823)
I have a feeling you're being serious. You should realise that there have been hundreds of redundancies at TomTom, due in part to your stealing. That you try to justify this with your own stupid mistakes, lack of due diligence and ignorance only goes to show that you sir are an idiot of the first degree.

Firstly thank-you for the compliments, I take it you are in the industry with such strong views. You are very quick to judge and pick up on my posts alone not the topic it's self!!!!!!

Or do you just bitch about everything anyone posts that doesn't fit into what you think as you are obviously perfect..

Find a thread you could really make a difference on and change the world, Jesus we all have opinions but to insult someone because of your views makes you quiet a nice bloke I spose.

Schmoozer 31 July 2012 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by subaruturbo_18 (Post 10728275)
I am looking in to jail breaking my iPhone 4s, iOS 5.1.1

I literally no nothing about jail breaking, other than you can get some apps and features that you can't on an iphone in standard form.

Where and how do it do it? And does it cost or is it free?

I have seen there are some guides on the internet but i don't know which to trust.

I know a lot of you guys have done it so just looking for advice really.

Don't do it, certainly don't get anything for free like tomtom for example, pay through the nose for everything as much as you can as some people will disapprove and insult you because they have the moral high ground..

My arse!!!!!

bigsinky 31 July 2012 08:41 PM

should have bought an android ;)

JackClark 31 July 2012 08:45 PM

It's not my views, it's the ****ing law.

Schmoozer 31 July 2012 09:11 PM

And you've never parked on the kerb or dropped litter, had a speeding fine etc etc etc.. I could go on.
It doesn't give me the right to insult you now does it... I think There is a law about that judging by Tom Daily and twitter.

Not gonna argue with you, I've got better things to do m8 tbh. I'm sure you won't mind.