ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   HKS BOV dilema (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/943972-hks-bov-dilema.html)

garysykes35 23 July 2012 12:03 AM

HKS BOV dilema

Hey all, I got my Bugeye WRX back in Feb this year and the first thing I stuck on it was a HKS SSQV blow off valve.

5 months on and I'm now wondering if 30 is too old to have a BOV?!?

Also, is the standard re circ one better for the car? I hear mixed opinions on this........

B4D HK 23 July 2012 12:05 AM

Stick to the oem one :)

(this will probably be the nicest reply you will get)

GoML-STi 23 July 2012 01:28 AM

I'm 33 and would be more than happy to buy it from you..
Never grow up. Cos growing up is no fun.

robinmgb 23 July 2012 07:09 AM

I'm 41 and when I bought my Wrx it came with an Hks ssqv fitted, planned to soon remove it as didn't want one but never got round to it and now I never would, love it and wouldn't want to be without it!

ScoobySteve69 23 July 2012 07:59 AM

No 30 isn`t too old to have a BOV.......17 is though! Go OEM as it should be :thumb:

martin850 23 July 2012 08:24 AM

I'm 34 with an HKS and I've also had a blitz, a baileys and an OEM. I'm never going to change the HKS and I've not noticed any difference in how the car performs over OEM.

Gear Head 23 July 2012 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by martin850 (Post 10719529)
I'm 34 with an HKS and I've also had a blitz, a baileys and an OEM. I'm never going to change the HKS and I've not noticed any difference in how the car performs over OEM.

No jerKy throttle response, pops and bangs out of these exhaust?

Surely you must have felt something? :wonder:

scoobyken 23 July 2012 10:00 AM

I recently got rid of my hks bov as it was leaking boost, now have a GFB bov from scoobyclinic and this thing is the loudest I've ever heard! I'm 36 but I still love a dumb valve noise every now and again. Keep it on if u love it mate ;)

martin850 23 July 2012 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Gear Head (Post 10719608)
No jerly throttle response, pops and bangs out of these exhaust?

Surely you must have felt something? :wonder:

I might get a pop from the exhaust once in every 50 gear change and that's about it.

My car was mapped with a baileys on it so it might explain why I feel no difference. :wonder:

Gear Head 23 July 2012 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by martin850 (Post 10719625)
I might get a pop from the exhaust once in every 50 gear change and that's about it.

My car was mapped with a baileys on it so it might explain why I feel no difference. :wonder:

Did you buy the car with this already done?

Boost luver 23 July 2012 11:19 AM

My dad is 64 and has a baily dv but when on boost the chatter off his cossie is amazing! It's funny when people look they look again as he's the older generation..
Iv been brought up to think age is just a number and your as old as you feel :)

scoobyken 23 July 2012 11:37 AM

Totally agree mr boost luver.. It's ur pride and joy, shldnt give a s@£t what everyone else thinks about what age u r, it's a passion in modifying!

martin850 23 July 2012 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Gear Head (Post 10719653)
Did you buy the car with this already done?

Yeah when I bought it it was already fitted along with vf34 etc

zippy! 23 July 2012 09:30 PM

i wouldn,t get rid of it in fact i have just changed from a forge to another hks when i installed my fmic. the oem recirc brigade will be along in force shortly no doubt but i have always had a vta bov and NEVER had a single issue.

garysykes35 23 July 2012 09:50 PM

I've got no issues with the valve at all, it's great. I put it on there within a week of getting the car so I don't know if it affected the performance at all as I hadn't got used to the car yet.

It's more the sound. My now ex wife is the main reason I finally got an Impreza and now I'm starting to see new people I feel self conscious about the valve!

Still, this is a manly Scooby forum so enough of the broken heart sh*t from me! I was more interested in performance opinions in going back to the OEM valve?

Gear Head 24 July 2012 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by martin850 (Post 10720463)
Yeah when I bought it it was already fitted along with vf34 etc

Fair enough, but surely, you have no idea how a standard valve performs?

To the original poster, it only take 5 minutes to change, so if you are unsure if the HKS is affecting performance you can easily swap it back and find out.

A vta dump valve (vent to atmosphere) WILL NOT INCREASE performance, despite what people say. Although it has been proven that some decrease it.

And £300 just to go vmmmtshhhhhh? Yeah ok. :lol1: