ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Which Turbo?? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/943345-which-turbo.html)

nyscooby 17 July 2012 05:01 PM

Which Turbo??

Ok, got to choose between whats available to me...

VF43 of a TD05 20G (not a chinese POS)

What would be the general preference? and why?

mikeyboi 17 July 2012 06:13 PM

vf43 id go for :P got a few mates who have em an theyre much better than 20gs, vfs have always been stronger turbos i run a vf35 and that was over a td05 16g and get much more power an slightly earlier spool :) as far as i know the tds generally spool later, any one want to confirm that for me? lol

Scoobyno1 17 July 2012 06:31 PM

Ive just fitted a vf43 to my bugeye and waiting for Duncan @ Racedynamix to come out and tweak the map but from what he was saying that the vf43/48 were the ones to go for.

Pramas 17 July 2012 06:58 PM

i went from a factory fitted vf43 to harvey smith 20g, not a chance id go back, more power, more torque, more :norty:
You didnt mention what your power goals where in your previous post, what do you want from your car

leecalcars 17 July 2012 07:16 PM

Running a vf48 great turbo

nyscooby 17 July 2012 09:02 PM

To go with this: Which turbo would you use...?
255 HRC fuel pump
Power enterprise 650cc injectors
Samco turbo inlet hose
Full 2.5 s/s exhaust system with Pro-Drive sports cat
Tubular Headers & Up pipe ported / Wrapped
HDI front mount intercooler
HDI inner wing induction kit,
DEI Heat wrap
3 port BCS,
Exedy clutch
Perrin Oil Catch tank
Ecutek Re-map (Bob Rawle - 15/08/2012)

Pramas 17 July 2012 09:34 PM

you seem to have most supporting mods in place for 400 which is 20g territory although iam not sure what spool is like on a 2.0, i use a 2.5
Reason i say this is you have tubular headers and they arent ideal for sub 400hp, a set of Harveys ported headers will be far better if you stick under that figure.

Pramas 17 July 2012 09:39 PM

Honestly the best advice i can give you is to contact Harvey, hes a wealth of knowledge and will tell it to you straight.
Also hes just down the road from Durham and although iam slightly further away i still go there for all work done and servicing.
He wont tell you to buy something you dont require and to top it all off he also sells all the top notch parts :thumb:

nyscooby 18 July 2012 08:01 AM

I have experience with both types of headers, the items i have are by no means ****....

I guess time will tell, i have the set up for a bigger turbo than either VF43 or the TD05, i'd be happy with a figure near 400

Shaks-STI 18 July 2012 10:04 AM

Im currently running AF TD05 20G i have it on my 2.5l and the torque is amazing puls very strong.

It could be a little laggy on 2.0l but with the supporting mods you have i dont think you will notice it.

In regards to the headers you have, speak to Harvey and get a purpose up pipe for a specifIc turbo you going to use that will help you massively on the lag.

Cant say anything about the VF43 but if you are looking for arround 400 the 20g will get you there, mine made 380 but Duncan couldnt strech much as the injectors were maxed out but with bigger injectors should see me near 400 or more.

harvey 18 July 2012 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by mikeyboi (Post 10711492)
vf43 id go for :P got a few mates who have em an theyre much better than 20gs, vfs have always been stronger turbos i run a vf35 and that was over a td05 16g and get much more power an slightly earlier spool :) as far as i know the tds generally spool later, any one want to confirm that for me? lol

Sorry but the above is not the case.
1) Which is a better turbo for your application depends on several factors so more information is needed to determine what is best. Give me a ring and we can chat it through. I have no secondhand VF43 or 20G for sale and I assume that is what you are looking for. Regardless I would only give you the advice I believed was appropriate. I know I have 20G new for a 2.5 litre, not sure if I have new 20G for a 2.0litre.
No hard sell. I give you the info and it matters not that I am not selling anything. Same applies to headers and uppipes.
2) IHI turbos can be sleve bearing eg VF35 or ball bearing, eg VF34.
The TD05, 16/18 and 20G are tough, hardy turbos, sleeve bearing and far tougher than the ball bearing VF series.
3) With all supporting mods the VF35 and TD05 16G are around 340 bhp turbos bearing in mind that different rolling roads give different figures. Spool is similar. The VF35 is certainly not tougher. The VF34 and 16G are around 360 bhp and the VF34 may spool marginally quicker.
4) In my limited experience of the VF43 I think it is a good turbo, it will outspool a 20G but not make the power of a genuine 20G.
5) One of the problems with 20Gs new and secondhand is that the market is flooded with cheap copies that do not perform. In part this is also true with some of the VF turbos. Yesterday I came across a VF48 with what is definately a copy cover.
IHTH.

WhiteWagonMan 18 July 2012 09:02 PM

I had one of Harvey`s ported 18g turbos with one of his special high power uppipes and my car made 385bhp at 1.55bar,he only sells kit that has been tested and proven to work,AND IT DOES.;)

harvey 19 July 2012 11:34 PM

I never claim the turbos I sell will do more than the figures we have obtained from them easily and some of the 20Gs similarly make over 400 bhp but it doese depend on the supporting mods and fuel and remember different rolling roads read different power figures.