ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Subaru Extended Warranties - A Warning!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/943005-subaru-extended-warranties-a-warning.html)

NITO 14 July 2012 05:14 PM

Subaru Extended Warranties - A Warning!!

Hi all,

I recently bought a 2007 Wrx sports wagon which had a Subaru extended warranty until September '12, thinking great for piece of mind.

Anyway, I call Autoprotect who underwrite this Subaru extended warranty to get them to change over the name on the assistance card and they ask me when I purchased the car. It transpires that the warranty was voided because they were not informed in writing of this change within 7 days. I was calling them on the eighth day after a double bank holiday and a weekend, meaning three working days!!

So you have been warned, if buying a used car that has an extended warranty, you only have 7 days to inform them in writing and you need to pay £25 for the transfer request. I'd strongly suggest sending recorded delivery also as these cock bags won't need any excuses to wriggle out of their moral obligations. I'm incredibly disappointed in Subaru for having this type of company underwrite their warranties. They used to have so much integrity and I've been a stout supporter for so many years but this is so wrong!!

Wrote an email to SUKs MD off the IM website and not had so much as an acknowledgement let alone a response.

Hopefully this may prevent the same happening to others. If you're selling a car with extended warranty please pass over the paperwork to the new owner and highlight this to them.

Regards
Nito

barnshaw 14 July 2012 05:53 PM

surely the 7 days only applies to working days? in which case if you have evidence you tried to contact them they should honour it?

it says alot if a company wont honour something like that over something so trivual. If they get out of this because of 1 day imagine what they will be like in a genuine claim situation under warranty!

legb4rsk 14 July 2012 07:13 PM

Have you checked the actual documentation to see if it means 7 calendar days or 7 working days?
Insurance companies will spout all sorts of guff to stop paying out without producing proof.

legb4rsk 14 July 2012 07:25 PM

May I transfer my Policy if I sell my car?
Selling your vehicle with the Policy may assist in its sale. Providing you have paid for this policy in full you may request a transfer by
calling GO Car Warranty on 0800 612 1302 and supply the details of the person to whom you will be selling your vehicle. The Policy
may only be transferred by you and no refund or rebate will be made to you or the Transferee under any circumstances.
There will be a fee of £25 as a contribution towards the costs of transferring the policy. This policy may not be transferred if the vehicle
is sold to a motor dealer or trader and will be cancelled automatically on such a sale.

Can't see any mention of any time period.

But like all warranties they are not worth the paper they are printed on:

"4 No liability will be accepted for damage caused by:
• neglect;
• corrosion;
• any foreign matter getting into or onto a part;
• lack of servicing;
• the effects of over-heating, whether caused by an insured part or not;
• freezing;
• abuse;
• damage to parts not covered by this Policy or consequential damage following therefrom; or
• damage to parts we cover caused by parts not covered by the policy.
5 No liability will be accepted for:
• wear and tear;
• normal deterioration;
• the effects of poor repairs, faults or defects at the time of the sale;
• parts which have been fitted incorrectly;
• parts which are of faulty manufacture or design; or
• parts not fitted as standard or optional extra by the manufacturer, unless cover for such items is agreed beforehand.
6 This policy excludes any damage caused by fire, accident or any road hazard whether or not insured under any motor insurance or
accidental damage policy. It does not provide cover for other people or physical injury.
7 No liability will be accepted for damage caused by war risks, sonic booms or nuclear radiation"

SO,what are you covered for??????????????????:brickwall

NITO 14 July 2012 09:13 PM

I had all the 7 working days out with them, I also spoke to customer services at Subaru UK (after not receiving a response from SUKs MD Darren James) to see if they could put some pressure on Autoprotect but the reply came back that they refused to budge and ultimately they underwrite it its their warranty.

As you say, they're full of ****, probably just saved myself £25. it's a pity because Subaru extended warranties used to be really good, Autoprotect sounds about as good as Warranty Holdings, it just undermines the hard earned reputation that Subaru UK once had.

Bring back Ed Swatman and the old guard that stood for integrity!!

/rant ;)