ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wheels, Tyres & Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/)
-   -   Wheel vibration, brake problem? (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/941720-wheel-vibration-brake-problem.html)

pflowers 03 July 2012 07:47 PM

Wheel vibration, brake problem?

Hi, my 2003 WRX has an annoying vibration through the steering wheel at motorway speeds, its not there all the time but most of the time. I have had new tyres and the wheels balanced twice, even swapping the wheels front to back didn't change anything.

Could the problem be my front brakes binding? I have noticed my front discs get very warm even on short journeys. How hot should they get? After any normal drive they are way to hot to touch and even if I drive just 100m at 10mph from cold they are already warm.

Any ideas?

:)

mikeWR1 03 July 2012 08:01 PM

My son got the same problem on his 2003 wrx, after a hard drive there was smoke coming off the front discs, and a fair vibration when braking hard. The near side front stuck on aswell last weekend. He went to our local garage and the lads in there suggested warped discs. the pads have still plenty of wear left in them.

pflowers 03 July 2012 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by mikeWR1 (Post 10692246)
My son got the same problem on his 2003 wrx, after a hard drive there was smoke coming off the front discs, and a fair vibration when braking hard. The near side front stuck on aswell last weekend. He went to our local garage and the lads in there suggested warped discs. the pads have still plenty of wear left in them.

Thanks, but my vibration is the same even when you are not braking :confused:

Godspeed Brakes 03 July 2012 08:11 PM

If they are getting very hot on even short journeys then I would say you have sticking pistons , if they are binding then this could be the cause of the steering wheel shaking
Its a very common problem with these calipers
Cheers Ian

pflowers 03 July 2012 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Godspeed Brakes (Post 10692263)
If they are getting very hot on even short journeys then I would say you have sticking pistons , if they are binding then this could be the cause of the steering wheel shaking
Its a very common problem with these calipers
Cheers Ian

Thanks, so if I say just popped a mile down the road to my local shop ( for beer LOL) all 30mph, how hot should the brakes get?

Wagon Gaz 03 July 2012 08:46 PM

Had the same on mine, sticking piston in the caliper.

Godspeed Brakes 03 July 2012 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by pflowers (Post 10692319)
Thanks, so if I say just popped a mile down the road to my local shop ( for beer LOL) all 30mph, how hot should the brakes get?

they would be luke warm at most

pflowers 03 July 2012 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Godspeed Brakes (Post 10692358)
they would be luke warm at most

Thanks, sounds like that's my problem then.

What options can you offer me?

Godspeed Brakes 03 July 2012 09:23 PM

To sort your calipers out , we can supply you a service kit to rebuild them , 8 stainless steel pistons and seals for £99 , or reconditioned calipers with these parts fitted for £235 exchange
If you need discs and pads , we can offer grooved discs and kevlar pads from £89.50
P&P would be £15
Cheers Ian

Mikey Ace 11 July 2012 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Godspeed Brakes (Post 10692445)
To sort your calipers out , we can supply you a service kit to rebuild them , 8 stainless steel pistons and seals for £99 , or reconditioned calipers with these parts fitted for £235 exchange
If you need discs and pads , we can offer grooved discs and kevlar pads from £89.50
P&P would be £15
Cheers Ian

had this issue on my sti v3 and the godspeed piston kit sorted it :) i used their discs too and have to say I'm very impressed ....

great quality products and excellent service

Mikey