ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   From iPhone4 to Galaxy S3 (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/941561-from-iphone4-to-galaxy-s3.html)

Boro 02 July 2012 01:51 PM

From iPhone4 to Galaxy S3

So far, so good. Thought i might hate it but i actually really like it.

Still getting used to some of the differences but overall its pretty good.

Recommend me some must have apps?

Tidgy 02 July 2012 01:52 PM

what apps you want? games or apps?

Cannon Fodder 02 July 2012 01:57 PM

I'm going to have a look at the S3 later on today, how do you find the Android OS having come from iOS?

mart360 02 July 2012 06:14 PM

Get your DNLA client set up, and get "serviio" set up on your PC

Then you can stream all your music and movies to your S3,

If you want to be adventerous get over to XDA developers and see what custom roms are released, lots of good stuff out there without the bloatware

Mart

Flaps 02 July 2012 06:24 PM

I had a look at one of these on Saturday, I couldn't believe how light they are! Bloody HUGE though too!

Markus 02 July 2012 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder (Post 10690245)
I'm going to have a look at the S3 later on today, how do you find the Android OS having come from iOS?

I'm going to jump in here, as I've been immersing myself in Android devices (and I thought device management for iOS devices was bad enough - so many devices, all with somewhat similar names!) recently.

It's different from iOS, things don't feel as cohesive as they do on iOs, but that is probably because I'm used to iOS and how things are defined. Android seems a lot more relaxed. Different versions of the OS, as well as different versions of the devices may work slightly differently. Some options may be present on other devices that aren't on others, which can lead to confusion.

An example, Galaxy Nexus will happily show up on AFT (Android File Transfer), but the Galaxy S II won't for some reason. I have tried digging around the settings, comparing them on each device but as mentioned above, one device has an option, while the other doesn't.

They are both running ICS, and from what I can tell, the same version, so in theory they should be the same, but they are not.

I do like the "Widgets" though, our app has a 4x1 / 4x2 and 1x1 widget and I think that would be quite a nice addition to iOS, gives you a snapshot of the status of an app without having to run the app.

I have to say I'm rather impressed by it.

Markus 02 July 2012 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Flaps (Post 10690632)
I had a look at one of these on Saturday, I couldn't believe how light they are! Bloody HUGE though too!

Have you seen the Galaxy Note? That's just plain silly. All the hype / marketing about it being between a tablet and a phone. Hmm, really is like Dom Jolly's phone, or someone using an iPad as Phone (holding it up to their ear).

Boro 02 July 2012 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder (Post 10690245)

Its not too bad really. I didn't think it would be this easy to change over.

Most differences can be overcome by installing apps like a new keyboard so it spell checks typos and changes them. Most of the apps look identical.

Overall, I'd recommend it. The screen is beautiful and very quick/smooth.

Boro 02 July 2012 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 10690235)
what apps you want? games or apps?

Apps mainly. Anything to enhance the usage.

I've just downloaded a free keyboard which is better than the standard one

l1verp00l 02 July 2012 11:40 PM

walkie talkie app tikl. Cant stop using it!!

bustaMOVEs 02 July 2012 11:49 PM

You traitor :lol1::thumb:

RobsyUK 03 July 2012 07:17 AM

Get the app that can tell you if a girl is on the blob.. No excuses then ;)

Carlh 03 July 2012 10:30 AM

i love my S2, S3 is only going to be even more better. App market is great too, youve got googleplay but also getjar.

Wurzel 03 July 2012 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by mart360 (Post 10690611)
Get your DNLA client set up, and get "serviio" set up on your PC

Then you can stream all your music and movies to your S3,

If you want to be adventerous get over to XDA developers and see what custom roms are released, lots of good stuff out there without the bloatware

Mart

Or you could just use this instead.

http://samsung-allshare.en.malavida.com/

Ant 03 July 2012 11:18 AM

Have you used allshare? It's terrible!

I use servio to my Samsung tv

Wurzel 03 July 2012 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Ant (Post 10691541)
Have you used allshare? It's terrible!

I use servio to my Samsung tv

Yes and have never had a problem with it. I have used it from my PC to my Galaxy S and to my BD player to stream music and films. It does exactly what it is supposed to do.

Ant 03 July 2012 11:33 AM

It used to go missing on my network all the time where servioo never has once

richs2891 03 July 2012 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Boro (Post 10690716)
Apps mainly. Anything to enhance the usage.

I've just downloaded a free keyboard which is better than the standard one

Which keyboard did you go for ?

Boro 03 July 2012 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by richs2891 (Post 10691697)
Which keyboard did you go for ?

TouchPal. Not sure if it's the best but it's defo better than the standard one. I used to like the way the iPhone keyboard would correct typos.

Seems to work ok. Anything better?

Skoobie Dhu 03 July 2012 11:16 PM

Swype keyboard is fantastic, it should be an option on the standard ICS rom, it is on the S and S2.

Handcent for texting, Zedge for ringtones/wallpaper, Sky +, Google drive, TV Catchup (download the beta from their website).

It's also worth signing up for the Samsung app store as they have a number of free decent games.

Skoobie Dhu 03 July 2012 11:20 PM

Ebay app is good if you use Ebay regularly, I also like the Beautiful widgets app for time/weather - it's free on the Getjar app market.

mart360 04 July 2012 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Ant (Post 10691556)
It used to go missing on my network all the time where servioo never has once

And servioo can transcode on the fly (just about anything) something which allshare cant

Mart