ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Android Vs Siri - Androids new voice feature running circles around Siri (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/941430-android-vs-siri-androids-new-voice-feature-running-circles-around-siri.html)

Dedrater 01 July 2012 01:28 PM

Android Vs Siri - Androids new voice feature running circles around Siri

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw-RzN4xYyE

Cannon Fodder 01 July 2012 10:14 PM

I have to agree that Siri does seem a little slow compared to the Google voice search, I hope they Siri for iOS 6.

GazTheHat 02 July 2012 02:39 AM

Interesting video.

JackClark 02 July 2012 08:19 AM

Good to see voice control being taken siriously. Well done Apple for taking the lead, can't wait for the updates and addition to Lion.

Tidgy 02 July 2012 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 10689852)
Good to see voice control being taken siriously. Well done Apple for taking the lead, can't wait for the updates and addition to Lion.

pmsl, why did apple take the lead? they bought up another company that already did it, another fine invention by apple, o wait,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Ant 02 July 2012 09:18 AM

I never use Siri , it's the worse unreliable feature on the 4s

JackClark 02 July 2012 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 10689883)
pmsl, why did apple take the lead? they bought up another company that already did it, another fine invention by apple, o wait,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

No one had placed such importance on what used to be a party trick prior to Apple with Siri. Now even the laughing Fandroids are realising it's a part of our future.

CREWJ 02 July 2012 01:02 PM

It's hilarious watching my Irish friend trying to use Siri. It can't understand a word he says :lol1:

Tidgy 02 July 2012 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 10690112)
No one had placed such importance on what used to be a party trick prior to Apple with Siri. Now even the laughing Fandroids are realising it's a part of our future.

siri was available for iphone 3 as an app way before apple bought them out. So its nothing to do with apple themselves, and its yet another idea they have pinched from esle where.

I've not even started to comment on the accent and the, 'sorry no shops in this country' lol

Littleted 02 July 2012 02:12 PM

siri is cool for setting an alarm so easy

wake me up at 6am job done

Wurzel 02 July 2012 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 10689852)

You just can't help yourself can you!

kingofturds 02 July 2012 02:32 PM

For me it's still quicker to do most tasks without siri or google voice. Plus you don't look like a dribbling window licker trying to speak into your phone and get it to do what you want.

Hanley 02 July 2012 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 10690195)
siri was available for iphone 3 as an app way before apple bought them out. So its nothing to do with apple themselves, and its yet another idea they have pinched from esle where.

I've not even started to comment on the accent and the, 'sorry no shops in this country' lol

You're right but I also think Jack has a valid point.

It may have been available in the App Store but until Apple bought Siri and released it none of the other big players really took it seriously (or siriously as Jack likes to put it :D)

We all know Apple didn't invent it, not sure they've really invented anything to be honest, but they innovate and this is good for us consumers as it makes the other big players in the industry take note.

Take the iPad as an example, tablets were around in several different forms before the iPad, Apple didn't invent the concept but they innovated and made it work, as a result we now have a good selection of tablets available, some good some bad.

Tidgy 03 July 2012 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Hanley (Post 10690318)
Take the iPad as an example, tablets were around in several different forms before the iPad, Apple didn't invent the concept but they innovated and made it work, as a result we now have a good selection of tablets available, some good some bad.

problem is if the pad (ipad or other) wasn't release via the hype associated with apple, would it have taken off?

Dont get me wrong, apple are ace at marketing and packaging a product, thats what they good at :thumb:

Doesn't mean its good though lol

JackClark 03 July 2012 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 10691690)
problem is if the pad (ipad or other) wasn't release via the hype associated with apple, would it have taken off?

Dont get me wrong, apple are ace at marketing and packaging a product, thats what they good at :thumb:

Doesn't mean its good though lol

2st prize in this months cliche competition. Be proud.

Looie 03 July 2012 01:43 PM

Not having a pop at anyone, but does anybody actually use either version of this?

I have it on my Galaxy II - never used it, never had any need for it, and as I know lots of people with Iphone or Galaxy's I've gone out of my way to ask them - not one person admits to ever using this, and they all admit they have no interest in it whatsoever......... so it begs the question, why does anyone think it needs to be on a phone...?

The people I know must be a general cross section of the typical consumer base that have/use these phones and if no one has any use for it - why are people making such a fuss over how fast one verson is over the other?

All seems a bit pointless to me. IMHO of course.....

JackClark 03 July 2012 01:56 PM

"Wake me up in 40 minutes" most days.

Messages have all been dictated for the last few days, wrist in plaster.

One calculation so far today.

sonic93 03 July 2012 02:44 PM

Siri knows What's the terminal velocity of a sparrow carrying a coconut ? Lol ask him

Dedrater 04 July 2012 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Looie (Post 10691717)
Not having a pop at anyone, but does anybody actually use either version of this?

It is great (in theory) when you are driving, i say that because, no matter how the video portrays it, Google Voice search it still a load of s***, for me at least.

Scooby Soon! 04 July 2012 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Looie (Post 10691717)

I have it on my Galaxy II - never used it, never had any need for it, and as I know lots of people with Iphone or Galaxy's I've gone out of my way to ask them - not one person admits to ever using this, and they all admit they have no interest in it whatsoever......... so it begs the question, why does anyone think it needs to be on a phone...?

The people I know must be a general cross section of the typical consumer base that have/use these phones and if no one has any use for it - why are people making such a fuss over how fast one verson is over the other?

All seems a bit pointless to me. IMHO of course.....

as far as i know this is not on S2 yet, for the regular google search by voice I think quite large percentage of searchs on android phones are done with it

Wurzel 05 July 2012 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by sonic93 (Post 10691782)
Siri knows What's the terminal velocity of a sparrow carrying a coconut ? Lol ask him

Is that an African or European swallow?

jaytc2003 06 July 2012 12:15 PM

apparently another patent infringement against apple. this time borrowing from china!

JackClark 06 July 2012 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by jaytc2003 (Post 10696061)
apparently another patent infringement against apple. this time borrowing from china!

There are hundreds every day.

Dedrater 06 July 2012 03:06 PM

Yeah and that s*** needs to stop, they are not litigating against each other anymore, they are using the legal system to do business meetings and to wrangle money out of each other. This is not good news to us as consumers.

Apple are, unnecessarily, seriously harming the image of the company, if momentum gains then in a few years you could have millions of people boycotting the company as it is more wildly known how they are acting.

JackClark 06 July 2012 03:21 PM

It's Apple's fault?

Dedrater 06 July 2012 03:29 PM

I used them as an example because they are the most litigious and Apple relies on it's image much more so than say, Samsung or HTC.

JackClark 06 July 2012 05:49 PM

Most litigious! Hardly. Compare them to Google and prepare for a mild shock.

kingofturds 06 July 2012 06:00 PM

what's with all these lawsuits coming out of China. It's the knock off capital of the world ffs.

jaytc2003 06 July 2012 06:24 PM

siri is allegedly a copy of something from 2004 from china. patent was registered in 2006

Tenby 07 July 2012 01:52 PM

Apple are the champions of marketing selling old tech as new. Droid is ever evolving to a point it makes apple look snail like