ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   What do we all think of the Queen meeting McGuinness? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/940951-what-do-we-all-think-of-the-queen-meeting-mcguinness.html)

Martin2005 26 June 2012 08:31 PM

What do we all think of the Queen meeting McGuinness?

Personally I believe it's a sign of progress and a welcome development on the road to a normalisation of politics in Northern Ireland

Jamz3k 26 June 2012 08:35 PM

Sinn Fein are only doing it because they realised how wrongly they got it by snubbing her visit to Ireland. It'll be good PR for the politician/ex-terrorist.

hodgy0_2 26 June 2012 08:40 PM

agree with both posts above

RobsyUK 26 June 2012 08:50 PM

It can only be a good thing. Unless be becomes a suicide bomber....

The Trooper 1815 27 June 2012 12:18 PM

UK PLC shook hands with:-

Gaddafi
Hussein
Assad
Mubarak
Bush
Putin
Arafat
Sharon
Khomeni
Mugabe
Amin and the list goes on.

Devildog 27 June 2012 01:46 PM

She should be the one wearing a semtex vest, remotely detonated by Charles.

Peace process or not, McGuiness is a murdering scumbag.

steve ex vauxhall 27 June 2012 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Devildog (Post 10683561)
She should be the one wearing a semtex vest, remotely detonated by Charles.

This, without a doubt!

DCI Gene Hunt 27 June 2012 01:50 PM

Sometimes you do things for the greater good, this will be one of those times.

Dr Hu 27 June 2012 01:52 PM

Time to let go......

dpb 27 June 2012 02:40 PM

Never never never

I always knew , like when I was sub teenage that cnut was just about the biggest obstacle to peace

Devildog 27 June 2012 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt (Post 10683567)
Sometimes you do things for the greater good, this will be one of those times.

I fully appreciate that, but it brings into question, for example, that had Osama Bin Laden come out and said "enough of the killing, lets all be freinds" would he have been welcomed with open arms and a handshake?

dpb 27 June 2012 02:55 PM

Osama didn't know quite what he was fighting for. He was an overgrown public school boy

Leslie 27 June 2012 03:03 PM

I have to say that I would find that very difficult to do after the murderous behaviour that he was responsible for in the past.

Les

Martin2005 27 June 2012 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Devildog (Post 10683635)
I fully appreciate that, but it brings into question, for example, that had Osama Bin Laden come out and said "enough of the killing, lets all be freinds" would he have been welcomed with open arms and a handshake?

Probably yes

In fact we are talking to both the Taliban and AK leaders ongoing these days

Ant 27 June 2012 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Martin2005 (Post 10683666)
Probably yes

Do you have proof of this statement ? Or is it guess work?

hodgy0_2 27 June 2012 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Martin2005 (Post 10683666)
Probably yes

and had open channels to the IRA throughout most of the troubles, even Thatcher's governments

Alg 27 June 2012 03:34 PM

I don't for one minute think that McGuinness all of a sudden decided he was anti terrorism and wanted a more settled Ireland.
Greed has overcome his convictions. He's getting rich.

As for the handshake? It's a necessary teeth gritting sell out on both sides. False smiles all round.

dpb 27 June 2012 03:59 PM

political leaders have a habit of getting rich there's little we can do about it , if by happy coincidence it stops them killing people so much the better

which is the main thing

Martin2005 27 June 2012 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Ant (Post 10683682)
Do you have proof of this statement ? Or is it guess work?

No it's a fact or I wouldn't of posted it obviously

You need to watch the news a bit more matey

bigsinky 27 June 2012 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Devildog (Post 10683561)

+1

bigsinky 27 June 2012 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 10683721)
political leaders have a habit of getting rich there's little we can do about it , if by happy coincidence it stops them killing people so much the better

which is the main thing

according to his bank statement his doesn't lift his MP salary and only gets enough to live on every month from Sinn Fein Approx £1200

jazzyjembreaze 27 June 2012 05:11 PM

9/11 changed everything , & the UFF , IRA etc etc relised that western terrorism wouldn't cut it anymore / 11 years later what has changed ?
No much in the eyes of evil , these people hate the british it's in there DNA genome
Why only last night there was a strong riot wich included Molotov cocktails been thrown / it's just another political sidestep so the Irish American funds keep rolling in / on the queens side of things , I'm not entirely sure why or what this will bring ( perhaps Gerry Adams will be having tea & biscuits at NO 10 next / either way it's all wrong
( but that's my sole opinion )

Midlife...... 27 June 2012 05:18 PM

3526 killed in the troubles.....60% by Republicans.

He has too much blood on his hands IMHO

Shaun

Martin2005 27 June 2012 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by jazzyjembreaze (Post 10683809)
9/11 changed everything , & the UFF , IRA etc etc relised that western terrorism wouldn't cut it anymore / 11 years later what has changed ?
No much in the eyes of evil , these people hate the british it's in there DNA genome
Why only last night there was a strong riot wich included Molotov cocktails been thrown / it's just another political sidestep so the Irish American funds keep rolling in / on the queens side of things , I'm not entirely sure why or what this will bring ( perhaps Gerry Adams will be having tea & biscuits at NO 10 next / either way it's all wrong
( but that's my sole opinion )

This happened years ago

Why is it all wrong though?

Jamie 27 June 2012 05:24 PM

I am all for the peace malarkey but she should have punched the **** for killing her uncle/cousin.

Martin2005 27 June 2012 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Midlife...... (Post 10683820)

Shaun

Maybe, but he's also a democratically elected representative of his community - like it or not, through him goes the path to peace and security

btw we were no angels!!

hodgy0_2 27 June 2012 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Midlife...... (Post 10683820)

Shaun

but surely that means 40% were killed by Loyalist/Army/RUC - in the name of the Queen

tarmac terror 27 June 2012 11:07 PM

9/11 was a significant turning point in my opinion for republican terrorism, in that the many of those who bankrolled their activities ended up in the rubble of the twin towers.

McGuinness is the deputy first minister and an elected representative, the Queen could not have avoided shaking his hand, but, did anyone pick up on his attempt to speak to Price Philip where Prince Philip appeared to turn away from him and walk off, leaving McGuinness looking a bit frozen out?

I have experienced the ruthlessness of his former organisation first hand; personally I despise what McGuinness represents, but would I rather have my children grow up the in the Northern Ireland we have today than where we were 30 years ago, if that means myself and others leaving the past where it belongs, then I think we must do so for the greater good.

ALi-B 27 June 2012 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by tarmac terror (Post 10684371)
9/11 was a significant turning point in my opinion for republican terrorism, in that the many of those who bankrolled their activities ended up in the rubble of the twin towers.

McGuinness is the deputy first minister and an elected representative, the Queen could not have avoided shaking his hand, but, did anyone pick up on his attempt to speak to Price Philip where Prince Philip appeared to turn away from him and walk off, leaving McGuinness looking a bit frozen out?

I have experienced the ruthlessness of his former organisation first hand; personally I despise what McGuinness represents, but would I rather have my children grow up the in the Northern Ireland we have today than where we were 30 years ago, if that means myself and others leaving the past where it belongs, then I think we must do so for the greater good.

Whilst I fully appreciate the Evil of McGuinness and applaud Prince Phil for passively making that known. It is the only Evil we can endure to see a better future and like it or not, enduring McGuinness is the better path.

I agree those living the past wanting to bring up all the historical issues have to move on now. Peace is the better path and no doubt Ireland and the UK is far better for it. The US has blood on their hands for their meddlings, maybe one day they'll learn that once and for all...after all 9/11 is a shining example of the blowback of the US's global meddlings, its a pity they didn't learn from that.

US and global issues aside, we only have to see the pathetic attempts of splinter groups trying to kick up s*** to realise how unpopular it is on BOTH sides between everyday folk, where the majority want to just get on with their lives without some knuckle dragger separatists kicking up a riot and throwing petrol bombs at any form of authority because they want to blame someone on their situation. And truth be known...life's what you make it by yourself by your choices, not by someone else's (government, army, police or otherwise).

David Lock 28 June 2012 11:01 AM

Peace has to be the top priority.

dl