ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Bugeye WRX and STI bonnets, any differences? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/940806-bugeye-wrx-and-sti-bonnets-any-differences.html)

BigBadDavid 25 June 2012 04:19 PM

Bugeye WRX and STI bonnets, any differences?

Other than the size of the scoop, does anyone know if there are any physical differences between WRX and STI bugeye bonnets? Can you simply change one for the other?

I know the STI has a bigger intercooler but does that mean the dimensions of the bonnets and seals around the intercooler are different?

The reason I am asking is that I might need a new bonnet (seagull hit the car in front of me on the motorway, dead gull then hit my car ripping the scoop clean off and bending the rear attachment points) and want to check up on my options. Trying to avoid the insurers because they think it might be a total loss!!! :mad:

Ayde 25 June 2012 04:42 PM

Both the same, the STI scoop is just higher and uses a wider opening in the under-tray that's just a bolt on part to fit the larger intercooler, that's all.

tubbytommy 25 June 2012 04:44 PM

isnt the sti alluminium though.
its a lot lighter on the blob sti

Ayde 25 June 2012 04:44 PM

Oh and if you are chucking your old bonnet when you get a new one it may be worth weighing it in instead as they are aluminium.

Ayde 25 June 2012 04:45 PM

I thought the bugeye wrx bonnet was aluminium too?

BigBadDavid 25 June 2012 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Ayde (Post 10681056)

It is aluminium - I checked with a magnet soon after getting the car.

tubbytommy 25 June 2012 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Ayde (Post 10681056)

my friend has a bug wrx and the bonnet is far heavier than my blob sti, and doesnt flex at speed like mine so i assume its steel.

Ayde 25 June 2012 04:54 PM

Just checked mine and it's not magnetic and weighs very little so mines aluminium - it flexes at speed too:) cars been in the family from new so I know it's never been changed either?
Mines an MY02 maybe in the short production time they did both?

BigBadDavid 25 June 2012 04:54 PM

Cheers for the replies so far! Sounds like a swap is do-able.

BigBadDavid 25 June 2012 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Ayde (Post 10681064)
Just checked mine and it's not magnetic and weighs very little so mines aluminium - it flexes at speed too:) cars been in the family from new so I know it's never been changed either?
Mines an MY02 maybe in the short production time they did both?

Might it have been an option from Subaru?
Mine is a wagon. Seems like an expensive bonnet to put on as standard, but you never know!

Ayde 25 June 2012 05:02 PM

Don't think so, the car I have was my step dads and he never opted for it, nothing on the original invoice. Maybe there are steel bonnets available as pattern parts?