ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   new engine starting problems (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/940724-new-engine-starting-problems.html)

scooby1982 24 June 2012 05:39 PM

new engine starting problems

Hi all having a few problems with my 1998 type r impreza, having fitted a new engine last week, the car started first turn of the key, it ran for a minute or two perfect then just shut off, now upon turning the key all am getting it quite as few pops and bangs out of the exhaust but it will not start anymore??? Car has had new spark plugs fitted, a full service aslo, i have checked and there is fuel getting through to the injectors but it will not fire up anymore it turns over fine just no start anyone have any ideas what could be the casue of the problem???:wonder::confused:

Broxi 24 June 2012 08:00 PM

It sounds like a Timing issue to me.

Was the Belt changed?

scooby1982 24 June 2012 08:18 PM

Hi mate no belt wasn't changed as the belt what was on hadn't covered that many miles it was a straight swap over,hoping its not the timing :-(

**jay** 24 June 2012 08:29 PM

If it ran fine for a minute or 2 then its not the timing, sounds like its not getting fuel, is the pump priming when the ignition is switched on?
Jay

scooby1982 24 June 2012 08:33 PM

Yes mate it's defo getting fuel and like you said it ran perfect for a couple of mins with no probs and the fuel is getting through, I did change the injectors yellow 440 could they be an issue you think??

**jay** 24 June 2012 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by scooby1982 (Post 10680172)
Yes mate it's defo getting fuel and like you said it ran perfect for a couple of mins with no probs and the fuel is getting through, I did change the injectors yellow 440 could they be an issue you think??

If you have changed injectors then that will be your problem, different injectors will need re mapping, put the original ones back in from the old engine, as its over fuelled and flooded by the sounds of it.

scooby1982 24 June 2012 09:29 PM

No mate same Injectors fella just another set of 440cc as the original ones were knackered bud so won't need remapping

Broxi 24 June 2012 09:36 PM

Ok Let's take it back to basics.

I am Firstly assuming their is a Spark to get the car firing Hence the popping Back through the Exhaust.

which indicates to me a Timing issue.

Did you change the cam and crank sensors for yours if not give them a try.

360ste 24 June 2012 09:39 PM

You say you are getting fuel but are you getting a spark? Did you get the engine from a known running car or from a breakers/re-con place. Have you checked for fault codes? Are all the connectors still connected properly especially the cam and crank sensor. Jus my thoughts hope you get it running soon.
Steve

scooby1982 24 June 2012 09:45 PM

That's one thing I didn't change the cam and crank sensors mate will possibly give BEN
A try cheers lads I'll be back in touch soon