ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Interior (https://www.scoobynet.com/interior-15/)
-   -   Blobeye Centre Console Swop With Manual AC Controls (https://www.scoobynet.com/interior-15/940573-blobeye-centre-console-swop-with-manual-ac-controls.html)

Cannon Fodder 23 June 2012 02:35 PM

Blobeye Centre Console Swop With Manual AC Controls

I'd really like to swap out the earlier Blobeye centre console on my Spec C for the later version, but having manual AC controls means that this may not be possible.

I've done some research on this before and I believe the connecting loom to the controls is different between both types of controls, does anyone know if this has been done before and better still a guide to altering the wiring if one exists.

The job of swapping out the panels is straightforward it's just the alterations to the loom if possible which I cannot sort out.

The Pink Ninja 23 June 2012 03:48 PM

I`m not sure if its just a matter of swapping the controls and wiring, The one you have if it is the same as mine has the cable slider at the bottom for the recirculation, The newer one has an auto button as you know, surely the button send a signal to something to do this and i`m not sure if all the controls are in the hvac unit alone or is there anything else that need to be added?

Easy enough to do if you want to loose the slider function, The old and new controls might even fit either facia in which case you would not need any rewiring, Just use your original hvac unit and make some brackets to relocate it if need be.

tubbytommy 23 June 2012 03:59 PM

the electronic ones operate a servo that moves the part that the cable connects to on your car so i think you would need this bit also.
have you searched nasioc as the us cars use the same console.
i think all uks were electronic

fawor 23 June 2012 04:38 PM

Ask wiley ,he converted his bugeye

Emmaroids 23 June 2012 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by fawor (Post 10678367)

its easy on uk cars i have done it, not so easy if you have the cable operated jap and us style controls

Cannon Fodder 23 June 2012 05:15 PM

It looks like it is possible, I have tracked down one thread so far on NASIOC but there is no 'How To' write-up but I will keep on looking. :)

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...1&postcount=43

Emmaroids 23 June 2012 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder (Post 10678420)
It looks like it is possible, I have tracked down one thread so far on NASIOC but there is no 'How To' write-up but I will keep on looking. :)

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...1&postcount=43

good luck if you can do it, i did it to my blob and it is a great mod.
(this is tubby tommy by the way i cant be arsed to log emma out)

Cannon Fodder 23 June 2012 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by GAZ2293 (Post 10678313)
I`m not sure if its just a matter of swapping the controls and wiring, The one you have if it is the same as mine has the cable slider at the bottom for the recirculation, The newer one has an auto button as you know, surely the button send a signal to something to do this and i`m not sure if all the controls are in the hvac unit alone or is there anything else that need to be added?

Easy enough to do if you want to loose the slider function, The old and new controls might even fit either facia in which case you would not need any rewiring, Just use your original hvac unit and make some brackets to relocate it if need be.

I would like the recirculation control to work but I need to clarify exactly what needs to be altered in order to make the newer controls work within my car. Looking at the link I found for someone who has done this swap the controls are all in the same housing. :)

Originally Posted by tubbytommy (Post 10678326)
the electronic ones operate a servo that moves the part that the cable connects to on your car so i think you would need this bit also.
have you searched nasioc as the us cars use the same console.
i think all uks were electronic

Thanks TT, I have had a look on NASIOC and have found one thread so far but there is so much on there I just need to learn to think and spell now like a Yank. :D

Cannon Fodder 23 June 2012 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by fawor (Post 10678367)

As said below UK and US models do differ, but I think I might be on the right track now.

Originally Posted by Emmaroids (Post 10678390)
its easy on uk cars i have done it, not so easy if you have the cable operated jap and us style controls

Originally Posted by Emmaroids (Post 10678426)

Having some Tubby loving or split personality? :D

Thanks again TT. :thumb:

Emmaroids 23 June 2012 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder (Post 10678437)
As said below UK and US models do differ, but I think I might be on the right track now.

Having some Tubby loving or split personality? :D

Thanks again TT. :thumb:

tuby loving tonight after then pub, emma is a member and has a subaru too though.

Dave-W- 23 June 2012 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Emmaroids (Post 10678426)

ARSED TO LOG EMMA OUT

that could mean a lot more in FC:norty:

Emmaroids 23 June 2012 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Dave-W- (Post 10678446)
ARSED TO LOG EMMA OUT

:hjtwofing

Cannon Fodder 23 June 2012 05:35 PM

I think I may be able to keep my existing HVAC controls and fit everything else if I can order one of these. :)

http://www.subarupartsforyou.com/cp_...p?partid=15445

Cannon Fodder 23 June 2012 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Emmaroids (Post 10678444)
tuby loving tonight after then pub, emma is a member and has a subaru too though.

Originally Posted by Dave-W- (Post 10678446)
ARSED TO LOG EMMA OUT

Originally Posted by Emmaroids (Post 10678450)
:hjtwofing

Only joking Tommy, thanks for your help and Emma's as well.

I think you have a stalker in Dave-W though. :D

Emmaroids 23 June 2012 05:46 PM

i needed to change the handbrake also, be careful with nasioc as there are some differences in trim pieces between left and right hand versions.
i thimk the handbrake and cup holder part is different on the us cars due to being left hand drive

Cannon Fodder 23 June 2012 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Emmaroids (Post 10678478)
i needed to change the handbrake also, be careful with nasioc as there are some differences in trim pieces between left and right hand versions.
i thimk the handbrake and cup holder part is different on the us cars due to being left hand drive

I am just going to use the US radio/heater control panel as that is only the real stumbling point, now that having to botch the heater controls is not necessary I will just source the rest of the parts from the UK.

I will be either getting them all repainted in matt black or even having the plastic/rubber coating applied ala S204. :)

Emmaroids 23 June 2012 05:55 PM

i painted mine black (looks shiney due to flash but isnt)
you also need to do something with mirror controls, i extended the wire into the door and bought some 05 door cards from a jdm car as i also have folding jdm mirrors which i assume you already have. the cards are the same but the uk switch plate doesnt take a jdm mirror switch due to it having an extra button to fold mirrors.
http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/a...604_150002.jpg

Cannon Fodder 23 June 2012 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Emmaroids (Post 10678494)
i painted mine black (looks shiney due to flash but isnt)
you also need to do something with mirror controls, i extended the wire into the door and bought some 05 door cards from a jdm car as i also have folding jdm mirrors which i assume you already have. the cards are the same but the uk switch plate doesnt take a jdm mirror switch due to it having an extra button to fold mirrors.
http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/a...604_150002.jpg

I have a unique solution to that problem as the Spec C doesn't have mirror heating, adjustment or folding so no problem there then. When I source the parts the mirror switch will just be an ornament or I will see if I can get a blanking trim for it. :)

As for finish it will be a matt black of some description, whether it will be painted or coated I am not sure on yet.

Emmaroids 23 June 2012 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder (Post 10678499)
I have a unique solution to that problem as the Spec C doesn't have mirror heating, adjustment or folding so no problem there then. When I source the parts the mirror switch will just be an ornament or I will see if I can get a blanking trim for it. :)

As for finish it will be a matt black of some description, whether it will be painted or coated I am not sure on yet.

there is nowhere to fit it in its original centre mounted location , there are only two switch locations for dccd and nothing else.

Cannon Fodder 23 June 2012 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Emmaroids (Post 10678503)
there is nowhere to fit it in its original centre mounted location , there are only two switch locations for dccd and nothing else.

That is even better then, now to source all the other bits needed. :thumb:

Cannon Fodder 23 June 2012 06:14 PM

Here is a NASIOC thread describing exactly what I was looking for.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1252301

Obviously I will need to source RHD parts with the exception of the radio/heater control panel, but I would have sorted this out a lot sooner had I found this. :brickwall :lol1:

Emmaroids 23 June 2012 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder (Post 10678522)
Here is a NASIOC thread describing exactly what I was looking for.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1252301

Obviously I will need to source RHD parts with the exception of the radio/heater control panel, but I would have sorted this out a lot sooner had I found this. :brickwall :lol1:

tubby is not really just a troll he does actually know some stuff lol,
i did a bit of research using a few websites before i did mine, you will need to cobble two handbrakes together from the old and new versions though but its easy, i used the new handbrake and cable from the old one. but mine was straight forward bolt on really, got to say its one of the best mods i have done to date but could be overtaken shortly by my roof flap.

Cannon Fodder 23 June 2012 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Emmaroids (Post 10678524)
tubby is not really just a troll he does actually know some stuff lol

I actually like Tubby (not in a gay way though), there is nothing wrong with speaking your mind especially if you know what you are talking about and have the experience of doing it for yourself. :)

Emmaroids 23 June 2012 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder (Post 10678530)
I actually like Tubby (not in a gay way though), there is nothing wrong with speaking your mind especially if you know what you are talking about and have the experience of doing it for yourself. :)

i fecking love him, its not just subarus he is experienced in lol :p

Cannon Fodder 25 June 2012 08:07 PM

Well I've ordered the required panel from japanparts.com - it was £68.73 inc shipping, I did try my local Subaru dealer and they wanted £76.00 plus VAT but could give no delivery date at all.

I know I could get stung for the UK VAT plus handling costs but at least I've got a definite confirmation that I'll be getting the part whereas from the dealer they wanted me to pay and then wait an undetermined amount of time.

Cannon Fodder 25 June 2012 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Emmaroids (Post 10678538)
i fecking love him, its not just subarus he is experienced in lol :p

Tubby is a love god, is there no ends to his talents? :D

tubbytommy 25 June 2012 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder (Post 10681288)
Well I've ordered the required panel from japanparts.com - it was £68.73 inc shipping, I did try my local Subaru dealer and they wanted £76.00 plus VAT but could give no delivery date at all.

I know I could get stung for the UK VAT plus handling costs but at least I've got a definite confirmation that I'll be getting the part whereas from the dealer they wanted me to pay and then wait an undetermined amount of time.

got the handbrake and other parts yet??

Cannon Fodder 25 June 2012 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by tubbytommy (Post 10681291)
got the handbrake and other parts yet??

Not yet but they should be the easiest things to sort out, hopefully...;)

The Pink Ninja 25 June 2012 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder (Post 10678499)

Whys that then Ty, Was/Is your the Motorsport version as my Limited comes with electric foldy ones, I remember having a chat to you at the McRae meet and you did say something about the previous owner :)

tubbytommy 25 June 2012 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by GAZ2293 (Post 10681308)
Whys that then Ty, Was/Is your the Motorsport version as my Limited comes with electric foldy ones, I remember having a chat to you at the McRae meet and you did say something about the previous owner :)

didnt the wr limited have the toys?, wasnt that the difference?