ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Problems with not using car? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/940455-problems-with-not-using-car.html)

vance1 22 June 2012 06:52 PM

Problems with not using car?

Hi, I haven't used the car for about 3 weeks, but was wondering if it needs a run out so as not to create any problems, if you see what I mean?? Is there anything I may have overlooked or is it ok to leave it a month without using it?? I've got it connected to a C-tek trickle charger, so the battery is ok, anything else I could do, or is it ok?:wonder:
Thanks

Turbotits 22 June 2012 07:03 PM

Leave the handbrake off and chock the wheels. Other than that should be fine

F1 CJE UK 22 June 2012 07:07 PM

thats it mate, my car is parked for most of the year with just a C Tek and a quick run every now and then

MattyB1983 22 June 2012 08:00 PM

Same as above, my car often sits in the garage unused for a month at a time. All i do is plug in a battery optimizer and leave it.

SPEN555 22 June 2012 08:03 PM

I did above n then developed eggs on all my tyres n so fooked em. Also brake pads got moisture in them n they fell to pieces n wrecked the discs!

Fooking expensive not using my scoob I found lol!

Ian KS 22 June 2012 08:36 PM

Agree with above, cars are not designed or like to be sat around. My scoob runs so much better when used. Currently 3 days a week.

vance1 23 June 2012 10:54 AM

Thanks for the replies, hopefully it's not a regular thing to be left this long, as long as it's not too bad for it.

The Zohan 23 June 2012 11:03 AM

leaving a car for 3 weeks given the UK climate is not a big problem. the brakes may bind on so you could chock the wheels and leave it in gear, the only thing you might get is a flat battery (assuming the car is in good health).

when you start it let it idle for a minute or so and take it easy (off boost) for the first 20 or so miles, gentle braking and accelerating (using common sense) a bit like running it in.

JonMc 23 June 2012 11:05 AM

When I last went to Afghan I left mine for 6-months plugged into trickle charger and under a cover. Got home, started first time. No seized brakes or egged tyres and drove off to its service:thumb:

The Zohan 23 June 2012 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by JonMc (Post 10678032)
When I last went to Afghan I left mine for 6-months plugged into trickle charger and under a cover. Got home, started first time. No seized brakes or egged tyres and drove off to its service:thumb:

I used to leave my AH Sprite in a lock up for 6 or so months of the year (winter), started first time - never a problem. Scoobs are just cars, nothing more, nothing less...:)

tubbytommy 23 June 2012 11:58 AM

i leave mine with handbrake off and in gear and connected to a trickle charger but it is in a garage.

the difference is if you leave it in a garage or outside in the wind/rain as if its outside the brakes will corrode.

i wouldnt leave mine outside for long periods of time without use but they are fine if garaged for a month or so.

Frizzle-Dee 23 June 2012 08:19 PM

I don't often leave my car for long periods of time without using it, however I do leave it for a week, every other week as I share the drive into work with my partner (what with the cost of fuel-yada yada)
Anyhu, funnily enough when we parked up next to my car after working today and I clocked this little sod! :lol1:

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...Dee/photo4.jpg

Cheeky little thing had actually ROOTED itself into my side skirt :Suspiciou

Naturally it was swiftly evicted but it just goes to show! Dont leave your car too long or who knows what you'll end up with!

*might have to wash my car with 'Weedol' in future :freak3:

RobsyUK 23 June 2012 11:01 PM

Are tyre eggs spider eggs... lol I had to ask.

cobra_mark 24 June 2012 09:38 PM

Mine sits for a week at a time, as I get the train to work, so I use a solar powered trickle charger to keep the battery happy, handbrake off and gentle restart.

360ste 24 June 2012 09:55 PM

Mines been off the road for 6 months dealing with the rust bug. Tyres over inlated and weekly put on top up charge. Hope to get it finished soon as really missing driving it.

pimmo2000 25 June 2012 07:10 AM

I parked mine for six months in a garage, no battery charging, nothing other than hand brake off .. started first time and drove straight to a perfect MOT test .. awesome cars :)