ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Serious white smoke after turbo fitting (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/939754-serious-white-smoke-after-turbo-fitting.html)

Black_beast 16 June 2012 09:59 PM

Serious white smoke after turbo fitting

Fitted a vf28 today and started it all up fine and now have white smoke out the exhaust,, and it's thick and white,, couldn't leave it in the garage as smokes it out that bad! U can see it puff out slightly on tick over and if u rev it it's like a thick fog! There is oil also on top of the down pipe where it bolts to the turbo,, and all around that area,,,am I right I thinking the oil seals have gone? And it's just chucking it out the turbo into the exhaust advice please?

burbling1 16 June 2012 10:26 PM

I suspect its over fueling either due to being the wrong turbo for the ecu (needs mapping) or a pipes not fitted correctly.

Black_beast 16 June 2012 10:39 PM

What explains the oils coming out around the down pipe,, and I have ran this turbo before but removed due the whine on the bearing?

Badger_88 16 June 2012 10:42 PM

If you removed due to whining bearing why have you refitted???

burbling1 16 June 2012 10:44 PM

Unless the gasket is blowing between the turbo and downpipe you won't see oil there due to a faulty seal. If oil is dripping onto the downpipe check the oil return from the turbo. Does the smoke smell like petrol or burnt oil?

Black_beast 16 June 2012 10:52 PM

Is is a different turbo all togethe

Badger_88 16 June 2012 10:56 PM

Ahh I see. Try cleaning all the oil off then start it up agian and have a good look if you can see where the oil is coming from. As for the smoking, take it for a good run then see if it still smokes.

Black_beast 16 June 2012 11:25 PM

It smells like oil tbh,,, well I'm going to remove the downpipe in the morning to see what state it is behide the turbo and if there is oils in it to

Black_beast 16 June 2012 11:52 PM

And going to undo the up pipe etc check make sure this is not smoke from engine then reconnect it and remove down pipe and see if happens after,, if so then this most be the turbo dropping oil into the exhaust ?

chopperman 17 June 2012 12:03 AM

See if you have any oil getting into the inter-cooler

Martin 2010 17 June 2012 12:40 AM

white smoke is normally oil from my experience, did you go from a td series to a vf if so did you change the banjo bolt for the correct smaller size there for flowing the correct (less) amount of oil?

stedee 17 June 2012 12:42 AM

Sounds like seals, but do as you said and check ic but can just leak exhaust side, did you prime the turbo b4 fitting.

stedee 17 June 2012 12:43 AM

And burbling overfueling is black smoke btw.

GetaScoobyFix 17 June 2012 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by stedee (Post 10669410)

Oil is blue smoke, white smoke could be steam caused by coolant leaking into the exhaust.
Brake fluid drawn in through the vacuum line will also cause white smoke.

Steam will disapate quickley and smoke will hang in the air.

Is it loosing any fluids ?

thunder8 17 June 2012 09:07 AM

depending on how you disconnected the old turbo coolent water could have gone down the up-pipe and the headers it takes ages to clear ,seen threads on here about this before

i did my turbo yesterday and had big problems with the oil return pipe getting it to go on,perhaps you split yours or it didn,t go on right like mine ??????

also i copper greased my bolts ,plus oily/dirty hands all over that area my turbo area smoked a bit ,

i also painted my decat in heat paint then heat wrapped it so the paint burning on caused some smoke as well

hope this helps

Black_beast 17 June 2012 09:08 AM

Yrs kept my existing banjo from my old 28,,but thought if remove at up pipe then quick fire up see of it smokes then bolt up and do same on downpipe would say if it is engine or turbo,, will be looking this morning,,, if seals are gone on the turbo r they replaceable as no one would do the bearing on my old one it was more of a throw away turbo?

Black_beast 17 June 2012 10:29 AM

Just took inter cooler off and it's filled with oil ,, so guessing seals gone on turbo

burbling1 17 June 2012 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by stedee (Post 10669410)

Only if its burning it.
I've had the pipe split between the intercooler and turbo, that caused lots of white smoke.

stedee 17 June 2012 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by burbling1 (Post 10669645)
Only if its burning it.
I've had the pipe split between the intercooler and turbo, that caused lots of white smoke.

ah ok mate a bit like unburnt oil then