ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Intercooler (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/939411-intercooler.html)

wrx_2005 13 June 2012 10:17 PM

Intercooler

Hello

I have 2005 blobeye WRX, it has few mods and also remapped to about 280bhp, 1.4bar Max Boost.

I am looking at STi Intercooler, want to know if this will have any performance advantage over stock Intercooler, which is alot smaller on the WRX.

is it worth it , is there nothing to be gained, does it help turbo spool quicker?

craigo 13 June 2012 10:23 PM

Are you the purple people eater ?

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...m/images-2.jpg

wrx_2005 13 June 2012 10:38 PM

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

craigo 13 June 2012 10:43 PM

Welcome mate, id stick with standard text if i were you :)

wrx_2005 13 June 2012 10:59 PM

Does it fall under Part 1, Schedule 16, section 38 of the Criminals Justice Act 2012, I say, lets go to Parliament and get the law changed, so every man is free to write in whatever colour ink he / she prefers, whatever font he/she wants to use.

craigo 13 June 2012 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by wrx_2005 (Post 10664784)
Does it fall under Part 1, Schedule 16, section 38 of the Criminals Justice Act 2012, I say, lets go to Parliament and get the law changed, so every man is free to write in whatever colour ink he / she prefers, whatever font he/she wants to use.

Its a free country :norty:

Epic fail though

wrx_2005 13 June 2012 11:10 PM

thank God for that, for a minute I thought me broken the law or you were going to send the boys to get me, phew, what a relief. :shtf:

craigo 13 June 2012 11:14 PM

Lucky for you this is the snet police :norty:

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...1297148496.jpg

H1GhW1Re 14 June 2012 07:30 AM

Get a front mount conversion me old china:freak3:

alcazar 14 June 2012 11:46 AM

The STi is MUCH easier to fit, MUCH cheaper and is a good idea if you intend going not much further with the power.

If you are going north of 350bhp, go for an FMIC.

joz8968 14 June 2012 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by H1GhW1Re (Post 10664981)
Get a front mount conversion me old chinahttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...ies/freak3.gif

Originally Posted by craigo (Post 10664819)

She's got a front mount conversion. And then some!

(Actually they look like perfect huge naturals :luvlove:).

wrx_2005 14 June 2012 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by H1GhW1Re (Post 10664981)
Get a front mount conversion me old china:freak3:

nah, me not want that, too much hassle/money, just want a bigger intercooler than the one me already have, so what would be advantage of the STi intercooler against the stock WRX one, will it be beneficial in any way considering car has uprated fuel pump/remap/free flow 3"exhaust system/decat pipes all round, except up-pipe. .

what you say ? :wonder:

joz8968 14 June 2012 05:18 PM

Not sure on your WRX's OEM flow capabilities(?)

But the STI MY equivalent is a bit deeper (bigger endtanks and more surface area). Good enough flow for IRO 400-450bhp odd. Obviously, have to go careful for 3/4 of a mile after coming stationary from hooning e.g. at traffic lights. The heatsoak on TMICs is massive in such a scenario - and can be an engine killer (just ask acalzar! :().

For the very reason above, I WOULD go to the 'hassle' of a FMIC -- once expertly mapped, you can forget about charge temps... ;)

DT-SPD 14 June 2012 05:43 PM

Go with a STI Intercooler and spend some time/money controlling the heat. A turbo blanket, OE heatshield ( trimmed to fit ) and a downpipe blanket will dramatically reduce the heatsoak to a point where it doesnt become an issue.

Combine this with some good mapping and you won't have to worry about heatsoak on a rapid accel. I spent a lot of time mapping mine in the heatwave we had a few weeks back, had intake temps ( measured at MAF ) of nearly 50degC after an extended idle. Full throttle pull away and totally det free, its all down to mapping the temp compensations correctly.

wrx_2005 14 June 2012 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by DT-SPD (Post 10665627)
Go with a STI Intercooler and spend some time/money controlling the heat. A turbo blanket, OE heatshield ( trimmed to fit ) and a downpipe blanket will dramatically reduce the heatsoak to a point where it doesnt become an issue.

Combine this with some good mapping and you won't have to worry about heatsoak on a rapid accel. I spent a lot of time mapping mine in the heatwave we had a few weeks back, had intake temps ( measured at MAF ) of nearly 50degC after an extended idle. Full throttle pull away and totally det free, its all down to mapping the temp compensations correctly.

where can I get a turbo blanket, will the turbo need to be removed first, for the blanket to be fitted? when I had Downpipe decatted, the lower section of the heatshield did not go back on, so it was left off, I would also like to wrap the full downpipe , where does the wrapping stop, does it need to go all way to full system, or only wrap the downpipe. where does one buy all these wraps from, I really could do with turbo blanket first and for most.

wrx_2005 14 June 2012 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by joz8968 (Post 10665588)
Not sure on your WRX's OEM flow capabilities(?)

But the STI MY equivalent is a bit deeper (bigger endtanks and more surface area). Good enough flow for IRO 400-450bhp odd. Obviously, have to go careful for 3/4 of a mile after coming stationary from hooning e.g. at traffic lights. The heatsoak on TMICs is massive in such a scenario - and can be an engine killer (just ask acalzar! :().

For the very reason above, I WOULD go to the 'hassle' of a FMIC -- once expertly mapped, you can forget about charge temps... ;)

who is acalzar ? sounds like a Mafia Boss ?:Suspiciou

joz8968 14 June 2012 09:01 PM

Sorry typo - alcazar.

A long time member who's engine detted itself to death when he hooned away from a toll booth in France (he had a TM, had been stationary whilst queuing/paying.... AND it was the height of summer! :eek:).

DT-SPD 14 June 2012 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by wrx_2005 (Post 10665886)
where can I get a turbo blanket, will the turbo need to be removed first, for the blanket to be fitted? when I had Downpipe decatted, the lower section of the heatshield did not go back on, so it was left off, I would also like to wrap the full downpipe , where does the wrapping stop, does it need to go all way to full system, or only wrap the downpipe. where does one buy all these wraps from, I really could do with turbo blanket first and for most.

I used a PTP blanket, bought it from the states, here's a link http://www.ptpturboblankets.com/subaru.shtml

Downpipe blanket from here http://www.autoinparts.com/Engine_Ba...?filter_id=100

Exhaust wrap available from various places, loads on ebay but best to use some decent stuff, DEI is good stuff or there are various types available from http://www.autoinparts.com/m100/Heat...cts/index.html

Turbo doesnt need to be removed for the blanket, it can be fitted in situ just a bit fiddly. I had to trim up the heatshield to allow it to fit back over the blanket, it all helps manage the heat. I could'nt wrap my downpipe because of the taper of the catalyst can so I used the downpipe blanket. I have second cat de-cat pipe wrapped and after that its unwrapped. There are more details in my gallery post https://www.scoobynet.com/members-ga...l#post10648608

It really is worth spending the time and money to control the heat. Before I did it I could feel the heat as I opened the bonnet. Could'nt go near the turbo or the intercooler, just too hot. Now when I open the bonnet there is more heat coming from the radiator area than the intercooler/turbo area.

alcazar 14 June 2012 10:30 PM

You rang?

Alcazar: the godfather.

:lol1::lol1:

wrx_2005 14 June 2012 11:01 PM

:007:

joz8968 15 June 2012 09:33 AM

lol at you two! ^^^

scooby-k 15 June 2012 11:39 AM

I have a sensor in my IC and guage showing temperature. doesn't take long for temperature to drop at normal speed after being stationary

joz8968 15 June 2012 12:31 PM

How long scooby-k? I'm inquisitive lol

10secs, 30secs, 1min, 5min... what?

harvey 15 June 2012 10:01 PM

2005 WRX OE TMIC does a reasonable job at 280 bhp and if you are staying at this level there will not be big gains from swapping to an STi TMIC or an FMIC. However, the STi TMIC which is relatively easy to fit is nice to have so it depends if you can get one with all the fittings at the right price. You need the underbonnet tray with the bigger STi item.
Regardless of what you do if you have plans to go beyond 350 bhp and very certainly by 380 bhp you should be looking at an efficient tube and fin front mount such as Hybrid which I just happen to sell.

wrx_2005 15 June 2012 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by harvey (Post 10667485)
2005 WRX OE TMIC does a reasonable job at 280 bhp and if you are staying at this level there will not be big gains from swapping to an STi TMIC or an FMIC. However, the STi TMIC which is relatively easy to fit is nice to have so it depends if you can get one with all the fittings at the right price. You need the underbonnet tray with the bigger STi item.
Regardless of what you do if you have plans to go beyond 350 bhp and very certainly by 380 bhp you should be looking at an efficient tube and fin front mount such as Hybrid which I just happen to sell.

hi, thanks, I wonder if you could elaborate on what you mean by 'You need the under-bonnet tray with the bigger STi item'.

scooby-k 16 June 2012 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by joz8968 (Post 10666665)
How long scooby-k? I'm inquisitive lol

10secs, 30secs, 1min, 5min... what?

probably 30 seconds to come back to ambient temperature.

"the tray" this would be the tray that fits under the scoop. You need the bigger STI tray to get the air flow to the IC. I took mine off to be modified and intake temperature were really high just doing 60mph on motorway. Luckily it didn't take long for my welder to modify so was back on car in two days.
STI 8 IC flows 6,216cm3. WRX IC flows 4,410cm3. and V5 IC 3,937cm3

harvey 16 June 2012 09:16 AM

The air to flow over any intercooler will always take the path of least resistance. If there are gaps down the side or the air from the scoop cannot get to the whole surface area then the TMIC will not operate efficiently. For this reason Subaru fit an undertray to loosely seal air flow to the TMIC. If you change to an STi item it is bigger and you need the bigger scoop undertray from the STi or modify your own as scooby-K has done. This allows the air to flow over all the core and the restriction round the edges encourages the air to flow through the core.

This same principal applies to FMICs. They should not have large gaps down the side where air can avoid the core and the core should be mounted close up to the water radiator or A/C core.

As DT-SPD points out above, keep the hot bits hot and the cold bits cold.

When I fitted an STi 8 TMIC to my STi 3 Wagon (which was a chew of a job to do properly) I was very disappointed with the results and it was only by fitting the undertray and modifying it and then fitting the STi 8 large bonnet scoop that the results became acceptable. This engine with the mods at the time went on to produce 392 bhp maxed out on the rollers at TEG Sport. I then came back to Darlington, fitted a Hybrid GT front mount and went back on the rollers. 401 bhp straight out the box and Steve Simpson made some adjustments to the Simtek and we left it at a very safe 409 bhp. So at that level we gained 18 bhp from fitting the front mount.

scoobyraj 16 June 2012 10:18 AM

How much difference, if any does the intercooler spray make in terms of cooling/efficiency?

scooby-k 16 June 2012 10:57 AM

the spray does help to lower temperatures but if your in a queue of traffic and not moving it will not keep the temperatures from rising. However they will lower that bit quicker once the car starts moving.

Getting back to the original question. the WRX running 280bhp. I personally think the STI8 IC is a worthwhile improvement over the stock one and it is easy to fit as your brackets are the same as on the sti. but as Harvey has said, when you start approaching higher 300's the front mount is more desireable. Harvey's GT version is considered one of the better ones for cost and efficiency.

harvey 17 June 2012 11:41 PM

The purposes of the spray is for use to prevent heat soak when the car is stationary and was probably added so that it could be homologated on rally cars so it was legal to use and the obvious time when it is used on a rally car is while waiting at the beginning of the stage for the off. It has a very marginal effect once the car is moving forward at reasonable speed.