ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Cherished plates question (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/939291-cherished-plates-question.html)

riiidaa 12 June 2012 11:13 PM

Cherished plates question

I hear that if a cherished plate gets put on to a motorbike, it can never be legally be transferred to a car again...

If I buy a cat-D scoob, get it repaired, and then VIC tested, pop my cherished plate on it, then decide to transfer the reg to a newer car later on will I have problems with the DVLA?

bubba j 13 June 2012 08:23 AM

i heard that before, regards motorbikes...
regards transfering car to car, you should not have any problems

Don Clark 13 June 2012 08:42 AM

Why not put it on retention ??

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/motoring...tes/dg_4022575

riiidaa 13 June 2012 06:39 PM

It is on retention, the point being is I'd want the plate on the cat-d repaired scoob. I just don't want the DVLA to give me any grief should i want to retain / transfer the plate afterwards (in years to come)

BLU 13 June 2012 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by riiidaa (Post 10663452)
I hear that if a cherished plate gets put on to a motorbike, it can never be legally be transferred to a car again...

Where have you heard that?

As long as the bike or the car (or HGV or PCV or whatever) meet the cherished transfer conditions then they can be transferred from on to another and vice versa.

If you read the DVLA literature it lists a car/van/bike/bus/wagon simply as a 'vehicle'.

Don Clark 13 June 2012 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by riiidaa (Post 10664289)
It is on retention, the point being is I'd want the plate on the cat-d repaired scoob. I just don't want the DVLA to give me any grief should i want to retain / transfer the plate afterwards (in years to come)

So where does the motorbike fit in all this Jodie ?? :D

T5NYW 13 June 2012 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by BLU (Post 10664304)

As long as the bike or the car (or HGV or PCV or whatever) meet the cherished transfer conditions then they can be transferred from on to another and vice versa.

If you read the DVLA literature it lists a car/van/bike/bus/wagon simply as a 'vehicle'.

I agree. Both need to be owned. Insured. Taxed and MOT'd by the same Person.

T5NYW 13 June 2012 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by T5NYW (Post 10664783)

Inless the named person in the retention certificate

riiidaa 14 June 2012 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by Don Clark (Post 10664427)
So where does the motorbike fit in all this Jodie ?? :D

teehee, :lol:

riiidaa 14 June 2012 02:24 AM

I see, I was told by someone who owned the paint / repair centre I used to use that the vehicular category had a role to play.

One of his associates took a shine to my plate as it could be a good plate for bikers, not that I wanted to sell it but that's how that convo came up.

BLU 14 June 2012 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by T5NYW (Post 10664783)

No they don't.

I've just transferred the plate off my Scooby (in my name and on sorn) to my Wifes Fiesta (in her name)
You only need to prove they're insured if you're re-taxing either one or both!

chopperman 14 June 2012 04:30 PM

That's interesting. I was always under the impression that car numbers could not be transferred to bikes and vice versa. I never actually looked into it myself. Must just be an urban myth then :thumb:

Don Clark 14 June 2012 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by chopperman (Post 10665528)
That's interesting. I was always under the impression that car numbers could not be transferred to bikes and vice versa. I never actually looked into it myself. Must just be an urban myth then :thumb:

I believe that was the case - looks like it might have changed......

Registration numbers that
cannot be transferred

Check your Registration Certificate (V5C) before
you apply, to make sure that the registration
number can be transferred. If the V5C states that
the registration number is non-transferable, you
cannot transfer or retain it.

BLU 14 June 2012 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Don Clark (Post 10665533)
I believe that was the case - looks like it might have changed......

Its never been the case. They've always been transferrable between any vehicle provided they meet the transfer rules.

You will usually find older cars, with dateless plates, that have had their reg transferred get issued with non-transferrable marks. Its to stop someone effectively getting a free dateless plate