ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Flying the flag (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/938754-flying-the-flag.html)

Felix. 08 June 2012 06:13 PM

Flying the flag

Our place did not fly the flag at all over the last week which I think was a bit off to say the least.

The other thing as well (as I thought) - we only use the flag to fly it at half mast when something bad has happened. Does this disrespect the flag...?

Leslie 10 June 2012 03:04 PM

No reason why it should do. That procedure has been used for years to commemorate a disaster such as someone's death.

Les

Felix. 10 June 2012 09:46 PM

The flying of it at half mast isn’t the issue. It’s the fact that it’s all we use it for.

I think it should be a flag of celebration for the country we live in and lower it to half mast if necessary. As opposed to not flying it ever, then sticking it up half mast every now and then before sticking back in the cupboard. I can’t recall us ever flying it at the top of the pole.

I think this disrespects the flag by only using it as a flag of mourning.

Clarebabes 10 June 2012 10:17 PM

Perhaps we should all get flag poles for our front lawns like the Yanks do. I'd be up for it.... We ought not to be ashamed of being patriotic, though that is what is happening, especially with the England flag having racist connotations :(

marcevs72 11 June 2012 07:51 AM

we should be able to fly the union flag when we want like the americans do with theirs but we cant offens the foreigners that live here.roll on next month when its forces week as my huge british army flag is goingon the front of the house as plymouth hosting the celebrations this year.

SwissTony 11 June 2012 08:39 AM

You should see the front of our house.

Last week it was all Union Jacks, flowers in red white and blue and bunting everywhere.

This week my chav wife has placed england flags on all her cars ready for Euro 2012 :lol1:

She needs something to decorate whilst waiting for december :rolleyes:

Leslie 11 June 2012 11:43 AM

I have heard that some councils require you to get planning permission to fly a flag on your property!

Hard to believe!

Les

ReallyReallyGoodMeat 11 June 2012 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Clarebabes (Post 10660012)
Perhaps we should all get flag poles for our front lawns like the Yanks do. I'd be up for it.... We ought not to be ashamed of being patriotic

Couldn't disagree more! I'm proud of the fact we Brits are so comfortable in our own skin and don't need to fly a flag every 2 metres to make ourselves feel pride. In the US it's so in your face it's just background noise and feels a bit brain-washy. You can be patriotic without sticking a flag in your garden all year round. The Jubilee was a perfect example.