ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   UN, what a bunch of pansy's (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/938721-un-what-a-bunch-of-pansys.html)

Tidgy 08 June 2012 12:20 PM

UN, what a bunch of pansy's

So syria is kicking off and they are still tyring a 'diplomatic' solution. not stopped anythign has it :brickwall

Hanley 08 June 2012 12:28 PM

Is there oil in Syria?

No.

Martin2005 08 June 2012 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Hanley (Post 10656268)
Is there oil in Syria?

No.

What has that got to do with anything?

Simon C 08 June 2012 12:51 PM

Russia have bases in Syria, so we can't send forces in unless they agree or its WW3

f1_fan 08 June 2012 12:54 PM

Actually on this subject where is Cameron? He was very quick to get into Lybia to 'protect the civilians' so why is he not doing the same for Syria???

Ah yes ... answered above I think! ;)

Gear Head 08 June 2012 01:02 PM

No oil. Plus we are out of cash, so it would be political suicide to get involved.

Why we have to save every bloody middle eastern country is beyond me. Would they do it for us? Would they ****!

f1_fan 08 June 2012 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Gear Head (Post 10656325)
No oil. Plus we are out of cash, so it would be political suicide to get involved.

Why we have to save every bloody middle eastern country is beyond me. Would they do it for us? Would they ****!

I presume you mean 'save' in the widest definition of the term ;)

Martin2005 08 June 2012 01:13 PM

The UN is a completely useless organisation.

Remove the 'permanent 5' members veto's, then we might actually see some progress

The Zohan 08 June 2012 01:14 PM

Where are the Arab League of Nations and just what are they doing???

subaruturbo_18 08 June 2012 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Gear Head (Post 10656325)

Save, or convert to our way of thinking...

They try and do that all of the time, but just go about it a different way!

FlightMan 08 June 2012 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by The Zohan (Post 10656353)
Where are the Arab League of Nations and just what are they doing???

This.

David Lock 08 June 2012 01:41 PM

The UN are doing the best they can in the circumstances.

WTF do you want them to do?

Invading will just bring an early start to the inevitable civil war.

dl

Martin2005 08 June 2012 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by David Lock (Post 10656393)
The UN are doing the best they can in the circumstances.

WTF do you want them to do?

Invading will just bring an early start to the inevitable civil war.

dl

Best bet right now would be to try and create some 'safe havens' for the civilian population.

fivetide 08 June 2012 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Martin2005 (Post 10656400)
Best bet right now would be to try and create some 'safe havens' for the civilian population.

When Russia and China say "don't get involved" it's probably best not to get involved no matter how stupid it all is.

I suspect if and when a civil war kicks off that will change and we might well see air support similar to that in Libya.

In essence, it needs to get worse before it gets better.

5t.

STEVEBOXER 08 June 2012 02:22 PM

Funny how we turn a blind eye to mass murder when the country involved has no oil, damn disgrace!!!

Gear Head 08 June 2012 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by STEVEBOXER (Post 10656439)
Funny how we turn a blind eye to mass murder when the country involved has no oil, damn disgrace!!!

Agreed, but it's the way of the world.

Martin2005 08 June 2012 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by STEVEBOXER (Post 10656439)

We didn't turn a blind eye in Kosovo, Sierra Leone or Afghanistan. So the whole 'oil' thing is just appears to be a conspiracy theorists wet dream to me.

Midlife...... 08 June 2012 04:44 PM

I thought Syrian air defences were a shed load better than the Lybians.....not sure putting planes in would be a good idea without a lot of work......

Shaun

bigsinky 08 June 2012 04:51 PM

just get Team America - World Police in to sort things out

mrmadcap 08 June 2012 05:54 PM

This is a sectarian issue, probably nothing to do with the Syrian government, all tribes and factions, best stay well out of it.
Blaming the Syrian government is a bit like claiming the British government were to blame for all the deaths in Northern Ireland during the troubles.

David Lock 08 June 2012 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Martin2005 (Post 10656483)
We didn't turn a blind eye in Kosovo, Sierra Leone or Afghanistan. So the whole 'oil' thing is just appears to be a conspiracy theorists wet dream to me.

Conveniently forgetting Rwanda, Zimbabwe and most of the horrors of East & Central Africa. dl

JTaylor 08 June 2012 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by David Lock (Post 10656804)
Conveniently forgetting Rwanda, Zimbabwe and most of the horrors of East & Central Africa. dl

http://m.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/j...d&type=article

David Lock 08 June 2012 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by JTaylor (Post 10657026)

Thanks for that. I admit to not knowing that it had got to resolution stage. And isn't Mugabe now up for a UN envoy or something :Suspiciou

dl

The Dogs B******s 08 June 2012 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Martin2005 (Post 10656299)
What has that got to do with anything?

Be Jesus,,,,,,,,,I agree with you:wonder:

Leslie 10 June 2012 03:02 PM

I did question why the UN was doing nothing significant to stop the murder of civilians by the military forces.

I was accused of advocationg illegal regime change.

Seems to me that if someone is responsible for sending in military forces in order to kill the opposition in the country, it is hardly illegal for the UN to pass a resolution to make it legal to stop the slaughter and to set up a multinational force to take the necessary action.

Les

David Lock 10 June 2012 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 10659185)
I did question why the UN was doing nothing significant to stop the murder of civilians by the military forces.

I was accused of advocationg illegal regime change.

Seems to me that if someone is responsible for sending in military forces in order to kill the opposition in the country, it is hardly illegal for the UN to pass a resolution to make it legal to stop the slaughter and to set up a multinational force to take the necessary action.

Les

It would be illegal if Russia and/or China refused to agree on this action.

And Russia are right to say it would be a bloodbath if the West went in.

dl

Leslie 11 June 2012 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by David Lock (Post 10659266)
It would be illegal if Russia and/or China refused to agree on this action.

And Russia are right to say it would be a bloodbath if the West went in.

dl

Yes you are right of course, it would take a big effort to shame them into withdrawing their veto of course.

What do you reckon about the situation then? How do you feel about standing by and watching all that murdering going on?

Should we just back off completely and allow the present bloodbath to continue?

Les

Martin2005 11 June 2012 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by David Lock (Post 10656804)

I didn't 'conveniently forget' anything, I was pointing out examples that were contray to the oil myth.

Our failure to act in Rwanda shames us all!

David Lock 11 June 2012 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 10660460)
Yes you are right of course, it would take a big effort to shame them into withdrawing their veto of course.

What do you reckon about the situation then? How do you feel about standing by and watching all that murdering going on?

Should we just back off completely and allow the present bloodbath to continue?

Les

I abhor the situation as much as you and everyone else does. But to invade would just make it worse; tens of thousands massacred, not just a few thousand. Say we paid someone to shoot or blow up Assad - who will take over? That would start an unholy war between opposition groups.

No we don't back off. We do our best to get aid and medical help in and try and provide safe areas for the beleaguered citizens. And we put pressure on Russia to ease it's support.

Do we even know if the silent majority want Western help? Look at the irony of Egypt where a lot of the people are likely to vote for a return of the old guard and the "revolutionaries" are getting very little out of it.

dl

lazadude 11 June 2012 01:30 PM

Glass the whole area and start again... Or leave them to their own devices.

Only two ways to go imo.