ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   New, RED V5 document? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/938167-new-red-v5-document.html)

alcazar 03 June 2012 12:47 PM

New, RED V5 document?

Can anyone link me to the DVLC explanation of these?

I got mine for the Scoob last week with a letter telling me to destroy my old, blue, one.

My son, however, claims his letter told him the new one was for taxation purposes only and NOT to destroy the old one?

Leslie 03 June 2012 12:53 PM

As I understand it, the new red cover one is to replace the blue cover one because there was a a theft of the old blue ones. The red one is intended to replace the blue one and can be used for taxation purposes. I have recently had some replacement red ones and have had no problems using them as a replacement in any respect.

I wonder if there was a specific reason why they told your son to retain the blue one. If i was you I would have a look at the letter that they sent your son before destroying your old blue form.

Les

f1_fan 03 June 2012 12:57 PM

About 12 months ago I got sent a red one for my other car with a letter from DVLA stating that a bunch of the blank blue ones had been stolen so they were replacing them all with red ones.

I am doubtful about that explanation as I only got the red one for my Scoob recently so surely they would have acted a bit faster than taking 12 months about it if they really had had a number of them stolen.

I should spend some time comparing the two as I am sure there will be subtle changes on the form somewhere that will no doubt mean more money for the government if you don't comply with some rule or other.

JohnSmith 03 June 2012 01:08 PM

Does it really make any difference?

I am asking as I have no idea other than showing who is the registered keeper of the vehicle what other purpose the v5 has, or whether it is red, blue, green etc

johned 03 June 2012 01:30 PM

Save both.

Midlife...... 03 June 2012 01:38 PM

I tax online........the V5 is somewhere but not actually laid eyes on it for a couple of years LOL

Shaun

BULLITT 03 June 2012 05:19 PM

The dvla knew the serial numbers of the batch of blue V5s that were stolen, if you still owned the same car you eventually got your new red V5. Any new ownership transfers were automatically issued a red one anyway. So anyone selling a car with a blue V5 should be a little suspect now as i would think most of the legal cars will now have a red V5 issued. I think the DVLA also posted the serial number range on their website so you could check a blue V5 if your buyering a car during the change over.

albob 03 June 2012 10:11 PM

i received my red replacement only last month (the accompaning letter mentioned fake/stolen v5's) -- the DVLA are probably replacing alphabetically......