ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Suspension (https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-12/)
-   -   Bilsteins coilovers (https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-12/938144-bilsteins-coilovers.html)

Dave Y 03 June 2012 08:21 AM

Bilsteins coilovers

Has anybody got them fitted?
If yes whats the verdict?
I have looked on Ian Litchfields site the B14 coilovers + fitting are £1300 very tempted.

Cannon Fodder 03 June 2012 11:27 PM

I was a sceptic but I found BC BR coilovers really good and far better than I expected them to be (having had a set of the first Apex coilovers which were not too good), speak to Ryan (prodriverules) and ask him for his opinion of the BC's as he fitted mine and got the geometry sorted out for me as well.

The BC's are a very good option in terms of price and their use in the Subaru community shows how well thought of they are.

jura11 03 June 2012 11:30 PM

As I said on other thread Bilstein B14 coilovers seems are OK,but main thing what is missing on them is adjustable damping,plus not sure if you can on them adjust camber,due missing camber plates,which you will need buy them

Jura

Dave Y 22 June 2012 02:37 PM

still looking at a set of these.
Would like to hear from from anybody who has this set up fitted

Dave Y 21 July 2012 07:12 AM

anybody got these fitted?

Dave Y 29 July 2012 04:23 PM

bttt

richie001 05 August 2012 09:40 AM

Just had the Bilstein handling kit fitted to mine and it handles so much better over the standard springs/STi pink springs I had before.It not a problem for me that they aren't adjustable because I wouldn't have adjusted them anyway.I also had fitted uprated front and rear anti roll bars and anti lift Kit.

The only down side is that it isn't cheap at £1800 and the ride is harder but not uncomfortable

Dave Y 05 August 2012 10:04 AM

was that price everything included?I already have Perrin arb front and rear.Where did you buy it all from?

richie001 05 August 2012 12:22 PM

Got the kit from Litchfield Imports,I think for the Bilsteins only is 1300ish.

Dave Y 05 August 2012 12:30 PM

Thanks i will call in there next week.Was that the B14 kit?

richie001 05 August 2012 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Y (Post 10737937)
Thanks i will call in there next week.Was that the B14 kit?

Yeah :thumb:

Dave Y 13 October 2012 10:37 AM

just had a full respray by Prodriverules plus a few other bits& pieces now its time to get on with the suspension.Bilsteins are still my first choice.
Looking at prices now,where to buy??

Dave Y 15 October 2012 01:13 PM

The car is off to Ian Litchfields next week to have the B14 kit fitted

tubbytommy 15 October 2012 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder (Post 10650407)
I was a sceptic but I found BC BR coilovers really good and far better than I expected them to be (having had a set of the first Apex coilovers which were not too good), speak to Ryan (prodriverules) and ask him for his opinion of the BC's as he fitted mine and got the geometry sorted out for me as well.

The BC's are a very good option in terms of price and their use in the Subaru community shows how well thought of they are.

+1 for bcs, i had teins in the past and they were stupidly hard. the bc's give a great ride and handling.

Dave Y 19 October 2012 06:00 PM

left the car with Ian Litchfield this evening,hopefully this time next week i will have a smile on my face

Nic1911 27 October 2012 10:05 AM

Any news on this, you got your car back yet?
If so hows the setup?
Interested to know your opinion on the bilsteins

Dave Y 27 October 2012 12:14 PM

Not yet it should have been ready Ian has told me he is still waiting for the Bilsteins to turn up.His supplier is in the process of moving to a different warehouse so fingers crossed for next week.
I already have Perrin front and rear arb,Cdf alloy droplinks so hopefully these will be the icing on the cake.
As soon as i get the car back i will post up my thoughts.

Nic1911 27 October 2012 12:41 PM

Cool will keep my eyes peeled for your update

Dave Y 10 November 2012 09:19 PM

car still there,i have been told it will be done this week.Fingers crossed.

Dave Y 18 November 2012 08:10 PM

Picked my car up yesterday but I have to take it back next week for a geo check.first impression is I can feel the road imperfections a lot more the plus side is it corners like a gokart.once the geo has been checked I will give it a proper go and report back.

fpan 19 November 2012 08:47 PM

What's it like on bumpry roads, does the car feel planted?

Do you know what spring rates the Bilsteins use and are they inverted or non-inverted type shocks?

Dave Y 19 November 2012 08:52 PM

I only drove it 2miles. Then down the M50.i will ask Ian Litchfield those questions when I go back.

Dave Y 23 November 2012 02:31 PM

Ride seems quite harsh not sure if i like it.

Dave Y 24 November 2012 11:16 AM

I had the alignment checked today at Litchfields then went for a blast around the B roads of Tewkesbury.Big improvement in the corners seems to be planted on the road better.The only downside is the ride quality its harsher than before.

Nic1911 24 November 2012 11:36 AM

By how much worse is the ride quality than standard

Dave Y 24 November 2012 12:17 PM

i seem to be able to feel the road surface more,if that makes sense?
i have gone from standard wrx to these.It is a big improvement in the corners no twitching as i go round the corners.
I will have to brush up on my technical terms!!

Bob Rawle 24 November 2012 03:25 PM

I have the B16's on my car with all the additional trimmings such as arb's drop links, bushes etc and modified bottom arms. Compared to the std Hawkeye suspension the car is very much improved. You will feel a lot more from the road but thats one of the reasons for doing these upgrades, for me I prefer the ride quality, the std Hawk suspension was to unpredictable. Tyre pressure adjustments can help, I use 17" tyres I would not go to 18's as the low walls make the ride even harder and for track use you need the walls to move around a bit to get good weight transfer.

Give it some time Dave I am sure you will come to like it.

cheers

bob

addi monster 24 November 2012 03:29 PM

I was running these on my last classic and they were rock solid to say the least,

richie001 24 November 2012 03:49 PM

I was down at Indigo-GT yesterday so they can fit my Lateral arms,so I asked them adjusted the ride height(up 20mm) because I wasn't happy with how it sat on the rear arches.It doesn't feel so harsh now but not sure how much affect that had on the handling yet.

Dave Y 24 November 2012 04:01 PM

Combined with the Perrin front and rear arbs,cdf droplinks and the Bilsteins it does corner really well.It is the slightly harsher ride that surprised me.Also i have 18" wheels as Bob says this wont help.