ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Free warranty only available to instore customers (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/938142-free-warranty-only-available-to-instore-customers.html)

dpb 03 June 2012 04:15 AM

Free warranty only available to instore customers

Think buying tv. This obviously gets them out of distance selling regulations

If you get it home and it's faulty then you've only got lengthy recourse through their ( third party. ) warranty

Is it a crazy way to buy - shop is 70 miles away

Dingdongler 03 June 2012 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 10649132)
Think buying tv. This obviously gets them out of distance selling regulations

If you get it home and it's faulty then you've only got lengthy recourse through their ( third party. ) warranty

Is it a crazy way to buy - shop is 70 miles away

How do you mean? If you got it home and it was faulty as soon as you opened the box most reputable shops would take it back themselves, they may not have to by law but most would.

And if it packed up after that why do you describe the warranty as being 'third party'? Surely it is with the manufacturer of the TV rather than a third party and should be easy to exercise.

When my four year old Panasonic TV (with extended 5 year in store warranty) developed a fault a Panny agent came and collected the TV, repaired it and then dropped it off again. No issues at all.

dpb 03 June 2012 08:28 AM

Thanks Ding, sounds encouraging it was a Panasonic plasma I was thinking of buying lol

The extended warranty is domestic and general which I presume you could buy yourself anyway, first 12 mouths manufactures guarantee anyway as well of course

I guess they just do this to save them delivery charges and hope you'll buy other stuff while your in store

EddScott 03 June 2012 08:38 AM

You do need to be careful with the Panny 5 year waranty. They don't like to give the 5 year waranty for online purchases - not saying the don't however. Its not a store thing, its Panasonic.

Our first plasma was a 42" and was bought online. It was said to have 5 year waranty (Remember Empire Direct?) and much was made of the 5 years but it was Empire Direct waranty not Panasonic.

Our 50 was bought from the local dealer - it came with a "free" Bluray recorder which meant that it was more than online but after selling the recorder it ended up being a bit cheaper. Sent off for the certificate and its got a proper 5 year Panasonic waranty. I hear they are very good if you have a problem.

dpb 03 June 2012 08:41 AM

This would be rgb direct

bustaMOVEs 03 June 2012 08:54 AM

Panasonic IMO make the best tvs are reliable as they come, I've never had 1 single problem, touch wood,4 years now
Regards

ALi-B 03 June 2012 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 10649170)
This would be rgb direct

RBG direct only have a free 5yr warranty on the instore purchase of Panasonic TVs.

Their online offers won't have a 5yr warranty unless you pay extra. It'll just have the 1 year manufacturer's warranty.

This is something stipulated by Panasonic apparantly: http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_G...#anker_9263675

(see the astrix and vertical writing to the right of the picture).

I've purchased a TV from them and it was a good price (outgoing model so heavily discounted :cool: ) and quick delivery (via city link)

dpb 03 June 2012 09:59 AM

Ah right got it now , all is clear cheers

DYK 03 June 2012 10:08 AM

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...__0RbNpuP8fbOQ

Jamz3k 03 June 2012 10:11 AM

Panasonic have never offered their own 5year warranty on online purchases. Part of the terms and conditions of the 5year warranty that they offer is that the customer has to beable to view and demo their products instore which is why it is not offered online.

I think its worth traveling 70miles for as the chances of pana hitting the wall in 5years is non existant unlike many retailers offering their own 3rd party warranty.

ALi-B 03 June 2012 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by DYK (Post 10649278)

In fairness Panasonic regulaly do free or labour-only (free parts) repairs on their products that have failed outside of their one year manufacturer warranty.

Just needs good liason with a local Panny repair centre and a polite letter to Panny politely explaining your dissapointment with the premature failure of their product.

FlightMan 03 June 2012 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs (Post 10649184)
Panasonic IMO make the best tvs are reliable as they come, I've never had 1 single problem, touch wood,4 years now
Regards

So based on 1 tv you can claim Panasonic make the most reliable tv's?

Well in that case you're wrong. My Mum has our old Toshiba 21" CRT. Still working perfectly. We bought it in 1989.

Toshiba make the most reliable tv's.

Chip 03 June 2012 10:48 AM

Just get your local JL to do a price match as they do a free 5 yr guarantee on all of their TV's.

Dingdongler 03 June 2012 10:37 PM

Even all 5 year guarantees aren't equal. Some will say certain things like dead pixels etc are not a fault and so won't be repaired.

My own personal limited experience is that the Panny 5 year in store warranty is very good and worth making the effort to try and get.

dpb 04 June 2012 08:05 AM

Thanks folks :thumb:
Went up rgb yesterday after giving deposit over phone, set up txp42vt30b last night ( I think I should have got 37"because it now looks LARGE but anyway I think it was good price )

I'll be sending Panasonic 5 year warranty form off next few days

Dingdongler 04 June 2012 08:11 PM

Remember to chase it up if you don't hear anything back. If you read the small print you'll see it says Panny won't accept responsibility for forms lost in the post etc.

They are notoriously for processing these warranties, make sure you keep on top of them

fatscoobfella1 05 June 2012 08:31 AM

Our panny plasma faulted after 3 years, we had bought from JL so covered under 5 yr warranty
We had a proper scrap with JL about getting the plasma replaced,as the repair engineers had it for 4 weeks with no answer..

Also when it comes to a replacement tv, the way the JL warranty works is original price divided by 6... So basically after 3 years ours was worth half it's original price.. We ended up putting money towards a new Samsung led and it's been superb.. I still have a viera LCD in the bedroom, and that has a slight fault too, but it's liveable!!!

Coffin Dodger 06 June 2012 09:52 AM

Had that with my Panasonic Plasma, as it happend the shop that had one of the best deals on it was only about 40 miles away so I could have purchased instore however I was fairly convinced that I would be able to get it in either mine or the wife's car as it was a 50" and they are supposed to be transported upright.

Gave them a ring and he said you live close enough that you could have come to the store, we'll get one out to you along with the claim form for the extended warranty from Panasonic. Gave them my details, TV delivered two days later :thumb: