ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   New lappy needed (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/938094-new-lappy-needed.html)

fatscoobfella1 02 June 2012 07:04 PM

New lappy needed

So chaps..

Gonna buy the new missus a new lappy for her birthday..

She only browses the net,never emails or downloads anything.

15" screen minimum and wifi is the only citeria needed.

Any deals out there //

classic scooby 02 June 2012 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by fatscoobfella1 (Post 10648511)
So chaps..

Gonna buy the new missus a new lappy for her birthday..

She only browses the net,never emails or downloads anything.

15" screen minimum and wifi is the only citeria needed.

Any deals out there //

how about an ipad??
if she dosn't do much on it maybe this might suit her better
just a thought

nick.

Ant 02 June 2012 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by classic scooby (Post 10648570)
how about an ipad??
if she dosn't do much on it maybe this might suit her better
just a thought

nick.

+1 battery life a lot better than a laptop too

fatscoobfella1 02 June 2012 08:16 PM

Great idea!!

How many coins?

fatscoobfella1 02 June 2012 08:26 PM

Ok,

Just had a look at ipads..

What is the plus sides to them ? Battery life obviously good,but small screen so thats to be expected.

Why do they need to be on a network,do you have to have a simcard for them?

MMT WRX 02 June 2012 08:31 PM

They have built in WiFi so need for simcard option. Just buy the basic model. :thumb:

Ant 02 June 2012 08:50 PM

Small screen isnt too bad as you won't be sat with it on your lap.

If she's into facebook and all that then its ideal

The iPad 2 would be ideal

Sent from my iPad :D

The

Jamescsti 02 June 2012 09:04 PM

Another vote for the iPad, get a wifi only version.
If however you do want a laptop I'd suggest going to a tesco extra store or similar and having a look what they have, they will be cheaper than pc world etc and are generally easier to deal with. Should get one under £300 for your requirements.

Don't get a NetBook, they are rubbish without exception in my experience.

Littleted 02 June 2012 09:20 PM

Ipad no contest, we have 3 in this house best things ive ever bought, Insta web browsing.

steve ex vauxhall 02 June 2012 09:22 PM

Another vote for the iPad, got mine 2 days ago, going for anothernformthe wife tomorrow, :thumb:
Only one thing I cant suss out though, how the hell do you copy and paste, or is it not possible:wonder:

JackClark 02 June 2012 09:38 PM

Hold your finger down on the text or file you want to copy

madmerlin 02 June 2012 09:42 PM

Just to offer an option to the ipad (as good as they are)

go out buy a 300 quid lappy, remove the hard drive and flog it, buy and fit a solid state drive and reinstall windows.. job done.

you now have a lappy that boots in 10 seconds (mine is 12 seconds from pressing button to being on the net:D) which plays flash etc, (ipads dont) - dont want to start a popcorn moment here, just stating the facts:thumb:

since fitting a ssd in my lappy i wouldnt use abything else, as its as fast (actually faster) than ipad, uses microsoft software and has a "Propper" keyboard..

worth concidering chap.:thumb:

btw your std hard drive would be worth between 30 and 50 quid depending on size, a solid state drive would cost you arround 60 to 90 quid depending on size. (i just paid 90 for a 120 ocz)
Burn a recovery disk before you flog the std drive to make recovering 7 on the new drive a doddle:thumb:

either way, lappy or ipad im sure you will be in the good books mate..:D

Chip 02 June 2012 09:52 PM

I just bought a Samsung P6800 7.7 tablet, so much faster than an ipad, and amoled screen makes the ipad screen look primitive, even the kids (big i fans) admit it's better.

madmerlin 02 June 2012 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Chip (Post 10648859)
I just bought a Samsung P6800 7.7 tablet, so much faster than an ipad, and amoled screen makes the ipad screen look primitive, even the kids (big i fans) admit it's better.

tbf ive been hearing very good reports about the samsung os

Chip 02 June 2012 10:00 PM

Its avery good OS system, battery life is also superb, seems to go for ever ;). So slim and lightweight as well.

Chip 02 June 2012 10:01 PM

http://www.mobilesmspk.net/compare/a...galaxy-tab-7.7

fatscoobfella1 03 June 2012 08:59 AM

All sound good, the Samsung sounds brilliant but maybe a little bit of overkill for what's needed.

And I was trying to keep under £300 because I'm a tight bugger!! No real need to spend much more on a browsing tool is there??

An iPad would be great, I do like the idea.. Is it a lot of messing around to get set up?? I absolutely detest the iPhone I have to always mess about with it just to do the simplest tasks!!

Gear Head 03 June 2012 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Jamescsti (Post 10648764)
Another vote for the iPad, get a wifi only version.
If however you do want a laptop I'd suggest going to a tesco extra store or similar and having a look what they have, they will be cheaper than pc world etc and are generally easier to deal with. Should get one under £300 for your requirements.

Don't get a NetBook, they are rubbish without exception in my experience.

For £200 for our Asus Netbook, I completely disagree!
Had ours 2 years now and it hasn't missed a beat. Never slow of tedious to use, battery lasts 8 hours and it weigh just over 1KG. How can you go wrong? It even has an SD card reader.

What is an ipad but a glorified netbook minus the keyboard. The specs are almost identical. :thumb:

Jaybird-UK 03 June 2012 09:38 AM

Apple store refurb iPad 2 for £259

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/FC769

Jamescsti 03 June 2012 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by fatscoobfella1 (Post 10649188)
All sound good, the Samsung sounds brilliant but maybe a little bit of overkill for what's needed.

And I was trying to keep under £300 because I'm a tight bugger!! No real need to spend much more on a browsing tool is there??

An iPad would be great, I do like the idea.. Is it a lot of messing around to get set up?? I absolutely detest the iPhone I have to always mess about with it just to do the simplest tasks!!

The iPad is very easy to set up, having said that if you detest the iPhone you will feel the same about the iPad as they are pretty much the same device when it comes down to it.
That's coming from the owner of an iPhone 4 and iPad 2 and I love both.

Brun 03 June 2012 10:41 AM

I just couldn't do with an Ipad - when sat browsing, you have to use one hand to hold it up surely? Laptop = perfect - doesn't fall over if you happen to let go of it :D

Brun 03 June 2012 10:43 AM

.......and an Ipad is an overgrown ipod touch which in turn is pretty much an iphone minus a sim so if you hate the iphone.......................

f1_fan 03 June 2012 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by fatscoobfella1 (Post 10649188)

If you don't like the iPhone you won't like the iPad. It's as simple as that. All the fanboys will tell you otherwise but what works for one person doesn't work for another.... a fact they seem unable to comprehend!

Read madmerlin's advice, for you that is the best option IMO! And a very good option it is too.

fatscoobfella1 03 June 2012 02:46 PM

Yep i read Mad merlins advice...

But about 3 lines in he started to lose me....lol....

I wont be taking anything to bits and reinstalling stuf.....For "wont" read "cant"........

Ant 03 June 2012 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by madmerlin (Post 10648843)
Just to offer an option to the ipad (as good as they are)

go out buy a 300 quid lappy, remove the hard drive and flog it, buy and fit a solid state drive and reinstall windows.. job done.

you now have a lappy that boots in 10 seconds (mine is 12 seconds from pressing button to being on the net:D) which plays flash etc, (ipads dont) - dont want to start a popcorn moment here, just stating the facts:thumb:

since fitting a ssd in my lappy i wouldnt use abything else, as its as fast (actually faster) than ipad, uses microsoft software and has a "Propper" keyboard..

worth concidering chap.:thumb:

btw your std hard drive would be worth between 30 and 50 quid depending on size, a solid state drive would cost you arround 60 to 90 quid depending on size. (i just paid 90 for a 120 ocz)
Burn a recovery disk before you flog the std drive to make recovering 7 on the new drive a doddle:thumb:

either way, lappy or ipad im sure you will be in the good books mate..:D

Isn't that all a bit of a hassle :wonder:

f1_fan 03 June 2012 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by fatscoobfella1 (Post 10649655)
Yep i read Mad merlins advice...

But about 3 lines in he started to lose me....lol....

I wont be taking anything to bits and reinstalling stuf.....For "wont" read "cant"........

Well the taking to bits thing was just about improving the start up time, to be honest waiting for an extra half minute doesn't bother me and I would rather have a proper keyboard. Just get the laptop, it will be cheaper and as I said if you don't like the iPhone you won't like the iPad

fatscoobfella1 03 June 2012 03:11 PM

Seems to be the direction i am heading.......

Tesco do a nice looking Toshiba for £267...

Jamescsti 03 June 2012 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by fatscoobfella1 (Post 10649672)
Seems to be the direction i am heading.......

Tesco do a nice looking Toshiba for £267...

I had a look at those in the tesco near me last week, they seemed pretty decent spec, if I was in the market for one I'd probably buy that, seems to fill your needs.