ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Laptop to TV (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/937907-laptop-to-tv.html)

Kwik 01 June 2012 07:32 AM

Laptop to TV

****!!!!!!!
I've recently bought a laptop and 3DTV, no i've not won the lottery. I have ****ed up big time though by not even checking the laptop had HDMI ports :cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:
So now i'm having to try to connect laptop to TV but all i have is USB ports and what the manual describes as an "external monitor port". Thinking this was VGA i ordered a cable and it turns out this 15 pin port is much smaller than VGA.
My TV also has USB ports but will this work?

pimmo2000 01 June 2012 07:45 AM

Which laptop did you buy?

Saint AAI 01 June 2012 07:45 AM

Your external monitor port will look like this:

http://www.ust.hk/itsc/classroom/not...k_vga_port.jpg

Should just be normal VGA

If your TV has a VGA port then a standard VGA cable should do, it won't carry sound though.

Edit: Is it a mini DVI port you have?

http://www.screencapturenews.com/wp-...t-and-plug.jpg

pimmo2000 01 June 2012 07:46 AM

Oh and the USB port on your TV will accept media on a flash drive.. not a connection to your laptop.

JackClark 01 June 2012 09:04 AM

That's VGA

AndyC_772 01 June 2012 09:06 AM

VGA, but without the screw lock mechanism to stop the plug falling out. Your VGA cable should work fine, provided you don't try and pick the laptop up or move it about while it's plugged in.

Next problem, does the TV have a VGA input? Mine doesn't...

Rob Day 01 June 2012 09:13 AM

More to point what is your intention, as if its to watch films etc then this would be the wrong way to do it, if its for surfing then there are easier ways.

You can connect it through wifi using a transmitter, there is loads of info on the net. I can put our iPad etc through our TV, you can do the same for non apple products.

Coffin Dodger 01 June 2012 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Kwik (Post 10646279)
Intention is to watch films, but if possible 3D one's.

Not with a VGA cable you won't be ;)

Rob Day 01 June 2012 10:15 AM

The Memory stick is the best way to be honest. You wont need a large one either, you can pick up 16gb for pittance these days.

I have a media player which is anothe roption for you. I put all my file, music and films on it (500gb worth) and plug it into the Tv, sit back and scroll through what I want to view with the remote, that was you can pause, rewind and do everything you like from the comfort of your chair.

Rob

steve jackson 01 June 2012 09:43 PM

usb stick

I have just put a film on a usb stick and tried it in the usb socket on the tv, selected usb gone to videos and it says nothing found, but when I put it in computer it plays fine? what am I missing here!!

Steve

Rob Day 01 June 2012 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by steve jackson (Post 10647364)
I have just put a film on a usb stick and tried it in the usb socket on the tv, selected usb gone to videos and it says nothing found, but when I put it in computer it plays fine? what am I missing here!!

Steve

What Tv ? What file format ?

steve jackson 01 June 2012 10:14 PM

Samsung tv model UE 46 B77020WW, file format how do I find this out? I have Type: File folder(.Eye[2008]dvdrip-aXXo.

Steve

albob 01 June 2012 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by steve jackson (Post 10647364)

Steve

you may struggle with this - my sony tv will display still pictures from a usb stick ; but won't show videos..........

i suspect the Tv hasn't got the 'software' to display video

Rob Day 01 June 2012 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by steve jackson (Post 10647440)
Samsung tv model UE 46 B77020WW, file format how do I find this out? I have Type: File folder(.Eye[2008]dvdrip-aXXo.

Steve

Axxo is an old timer, so that will be a torrent your trying to play, I guess that will be a AVI file. It should play in your TV tbh.

Does it play on your Laptop ok?

VLC media player is good, download for free, I think it converts too.

Rob

maydew 01 June 2012 11:11 PM

does the tv support divx?

Dave-W- 01 June 2012 11:31 PM

i play most video via dlna via router your tv has hopefully got this being new
when set up just right click on file and select play via tv

for 3d files on my samsung i play matroska files via my 1tb ext hardrive that i leave connected to tv it was only £80 when it was on offer :thumb:

steve jackson 02 June 2012 11:46 AM

Hi Rob,
Just plugged in the usb stick to into the tv again and it played the film straight away don't know what happened yestarday, and yes it was a torrent downloaded film.

Thanks guys
Steve

JohnSmith 02 June 2012 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger (Post 10646313)
Not with a VGA cable you won't be ;)

Yes you can with the right media player and as long as the TV has VGA input, certainly the laptops (dell) and LG TV's I have installed work fine using SBS 3D films

I would guess that any VGA --> HDMI cable would be analogue only and 480p at the most