ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   need new management. simtec vs syvecs vs AEM vs ??? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/937365-need-new-management-simtec-vs-syvecs-vs-aem-vs.html)

redace 27 May 2012 01:56 AM

need new management. simtec vs syvecs vs AEM vs ???

As title. I run a power fc on my V1 GC8 and im at the very limit of it. I want to do away with the airflow meter and go for some thing a bit more advanced that will do 600bhp+ just wanted to know what peoples thought are on best bang for buck and any feed back if you have them fitted.

Ian 27 May 2012 07:23 AM

from what i read, and what a lot of the big power boys use. syvecs is the daddy

Maz 27 May 2012 07:54 AM

For your level Syvecs all the way. Fantastic adjustability for both low speed driving and balls out action. You can have active knock control/protection, data logging (very useful), multiple maps and much more. Coupled with JT innovations Toucan screen display you can do away with gauges. Customer support is excellent too.

RICHARD J 27 May 2012 08:37 AM

Syvecs is the best but expensive. The new Simtec or Alcatec as it's known offers excellent value for money & has many features of Syvecs. Read Alan Jefry's post on it,available from 1st July I think. I will be upgrading my Simtec to this soon.

jd5217 27 May 2012 08:42 AM

The Simtek and Alcatek are different.

The old Simtek is now upgraded and rebranded as AlcaTek.

https://www.scoobynet.com/trader-ann...ouncement.html

redace 27 May 2012 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 10639811)
from what i read, and what a lot of the big power boys use. syvecs is the daddy

It looks that way after doing some more reading.

Originally Posted by Einstein RA (Post 10639822)
For your level Syvecs all the way. Fantastic adjustability for both low speed driving and balls out action. You can have active knock control/protection, data logging (very useful), multiple maps and much more. Coupled with JT innovations Toucan screen display you can do away with gauges. Customer support is excellent too.

So thats 2 for Syvecs and thank you very much for telling me about JT innovations Toucan screen display. What a quality bit of kit that is. I was going to add 3 Defi gauges to keep an eye on oil temp, oil pressure and AFR's and they work out to be more expensive than this display with more channels monitored.

Originally Posted by RICHARD J (Post 10639843)
Syvecs is the best but expensive. The new Simtec or Alcatec as it's known offers excellent value for money & has many features of Syvecs. Read Alan Jefry's post on it,available from 1st July I think. I will be upgrading my Simtec to this soon.

So no one likes the AEM.... lets rule that one out then. the Simtek looks very well speced but the seems to be to many people saying that "Syvecs is better" to ignore. Going on what i can find the only seems to be £500 differance in price. Now dont get me wrong £500 is alot of money but if it is better i would rather find the extra £500 then spend £1000 on some thing that would just DO as apose to DOSE it the best.

Thanks for all the comments, please keep them coming

Blue by You 27 May 2012 05:14 PM

Another vote for Syvecs.
You won't regret it.

prodriverules 27 May 2012 05:48 PM

The alcatek has almost all the syvecs features and also runs with the toucan as the syvecs does.
Value for money,alcatek takes it for me especially if you want the toucan as you will be onto very serious money with both:thumb:

redace 27 May 2012 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by prodriverules (Post 10640225)
The alcatek has almost all the syvecs features and also runs with the toucan as the syvecs does.
Value for money,alcatek takes it for me especially if you want the toucan as you will be onto very serious money with both:thumb:

So if the alcatek dose pritty much every thing the Syves dose why is the Syvecs better? what would you lose out on going with the alcatek.

prodriverules 27 May 2012 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by redace (Post 10640425)
So if the alcatek dose pritty much every thing the Syves dose why is the Syvecs better? what would you lose out on going with the alcatek.

Don't know the exact details but data logging is one thing but unless you have a major tune going on in the engine bay I can't see a point given most cars are mapped and are fine unless tampered with for ever or until you get bored and want more lol.
Also I must say the boost control is a little better on syvecs although I haven't seena boost graph from a new alcatek yet.

craigyp 27 May 2012 08:40 PM

Is the new alcatek out yet??

prodriverules 27 May 2012 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by craigyp (Post 10640489)
Is the new alcatek out yet??

Yes you can buy a new alcatek but the firmware update for older 'simtek' units is due for release in July

stevebt 27 May 2012 08:49 PM

Simtek will get you to 600bhp but Syvecs will get you past 600bhp with safety.

prodriverules 27 May 2012 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by stevebt (Post 10640503)

What would be the unsafe part of alcatek past 600 Steve?
And I'm not being funny just curious.

craigyp 27 May 2012 09:01 PM

I'm sure I'd be happy with 600 :-) lol

alanbell 27 May 2012 09:32 PM

im having a track car built, going to be around 600bhp, i had a simtek but was advised by my track car builder to go for a syvecs , so sold the simtek, and now have the daddy :D

jura11 27 May 2012 10:13 PM

As above Syvecs is way to go

Features of Syvecs S6 are here in glance

http://www.syvecs.com/s6gp.php

Link is for GP,which is same as PnP(Plug and Play)

Jura

MattyB1983 28 May 2012 05:07 PM

People trust syvecs and it has a proven track record in big power cars, both road going and race cars.
That's worth the extra few quid all day long in my view.

Id suggest ringing round a few of the elite mappers in the country and ask their opinions on which one they would suggest.

redace 28 May 2012 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by MattyB1983 (Post 10641400)
Id suggest ringing round a few of the elite mappers in the country and ask their opinions on which one they would suggest.

That was my thoughts so tried to get hold of AFP today but just rang and rang so i must have an old number for him. Tried to find a number for Simon JGM today but his web site would not load on my phone. No problem now im at home on my PC so will try him tomorow. Also tried to get hold of Mark from Lateral but he is away untill tomorow.

MattyB1983 28 May 2012 09:05 PM

When talking of 'elite' mappers then this name should be near the top of your list,

http://www.zenperformance.co.uk/p/Home.html

MartynJ 28 May 2012 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by stevebt (Post 10640503)

Explain ?
The Alcatek has full knock control as standard now, the Syvecs only comes with basic knock control as standard.
The Alcatek will, retard ignition on a per cyl basis, add fuel and remove boost in a 3 tier strategy. The Syvecs knock control even on the full version isn't that comprehensive.
Both ecus are capable of tripping on low oil pressure, high oil temp, low fuel pressure. Both ecus have closed loop wideband Lambda.
In reality the only thing the Syvecs now has that the Alcatek doesn't, is on board datalogging.

Bigarfs 2.1 Stroked Newage car ran an Alcatek ecu for 2 years faultlessly :D

redace 28 May 2012 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by MattyB1983 (Post 10641746)
When talking of 'elite' mappers then this name should be near the top of your list,

http://www.zenperformance.co.uk/p/Home.html

I forgot about Paul. I bought my PPG of him years ago. I have a friend who maps for me but has no experiance with the Syvecs.

Originally Posted by MartynJ (Post 10641890)
Explain ?
The Alcatek has full knock control as standard now, the Syvecs only comes with basic knock control as standard.
The Alcatek will, retard ignition on a per cyl basis, add fuel and remove boost in a 3 tier strategy. The Syvecs knock control even on the full version isn't that comprehensive.
Both ecus are capable of tripping on low oil pressure, high oil temp, low fuel pressure. Both ecus have closed loop wideband Lambda.
In reality the only thing the Syvecs now has that the Alcatek doesn't, is on board datalogging.

1 big plus for each there. The full knock controll would put my mind at rest as for the past 5 years every time i drive my car hard i find myself looking at the knock reading on the FC commander insted of the road.

jura11 28 May 2012 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by MartynJ (Post 10641890)
Explain ?

Martyn

Both ECU have CANbus?

This probably why people will go with Syvecs if they want run digital dash like AiM,Race Technology,MoTeC without the going with some sort of compromise.

Can you upgrade too Firmware as user via laptop or you will need send to creator?

Agreed AlcaTek looking like good ECU,but still not seen it in action,due this i'm very cautious.

Where is SimTek Pro or again launch is postponed or you are now forgotten on the SimTek Pro?

Jura

Jura

bigsinky 28 May 2012 10:49 PM

Motec? just my 2p worth. but then i am noticibly richer than yow ;)

MartynJ 28 May 2012 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by jura11 (Post 10641942)
Martyn

Both ECU have CANbus?

This probably why people will go with Syvecs if they want run digital dash like AiM,Race Technology,MoTeC without the going with some sort of compromise.

Can you upgrade too Firmware as user via laptop or you will need send to creator?

Agreed AlcaTek looking like good ECU,but still not seen it in action,due this i'm very cautious.

Where is SimTek Pro or again launch is postponed or you are now forgotten on the SimTek Pro?

Jura

Jura

Yes the Alcatek ecu has CANBUS communications, it's what the Toucan connects to. The first upgrade will require a RTB, future updates will be available to all who have a programming kit.

I haven't seen a SimTek pro to comment I'm afraid !

MattyB1983 28 May 2012 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by bigsinky (Post 10641974)
Motec? just my 2p worth. but then i am noticibly richer than yow ;)

:lol1:

Motec in my car.... :luxhello:

MartynJ 29 May 2012 10:41 AM

Sorry should add that the Alcatek can also, flash the CEL on any low det event, any high det event and/or come on permanently as a result of passing the maximum retard threshold.
All of these options are selected at the time of mapping.
It will also put a nice big Knock Warning display on the Toucan if you have one at any set amount of ignition retard independently of the ecus internal warning settings.

stealthy55 29 May 2012 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by MattyB1983 (Post 10642041)
:lol1:

Motec in my car.... :luxhello:

expensive though

bigsinky 29 May 2012 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by stealthy55 (Post 10642740)
expensive though

reassuringly so :D

stealthy55 29 May 2012 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by bigsinky (Post 10642785)
reassuringly so :D

its a bit limited on what it can do