ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Syria - I just can't understand (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/937281-syria-i-just-cant-understand.html)

David Lock 26 May 2012 10:27 AM

Syria - I just can't understand

How Syrians, even if they are under orders, can bring themselves to mow down their own people and slit the throats of children (if reports are true).

Imagine being told to go into a village not far from you and kill the kids. Surely there is a point when you just have to say no, even if you know that you will possibly be shot for mutiny?

It's all so f,ucking unnecessary :mad:

dl

CrisPDuk 26 May 2012 10:35 AM

In a word, Tribalism :cuckoo:

Arabs have been killing people just for being from the wrong village for centuries :(

dpb 26 May 2012 10:38 AM

Spilled into the Lebannon now , theyve only just finished repairing from last time - you wouldnt be able to tell it from Mogadishu

So many rival factions in the area , and some along for the ride - all backed up with foriegn money and arms

But yes i couldnt imagine doing that , id rather they shot me first
not been in the position tho of course

David Lock 26 May 2012 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk (Post 10638820)
In a word, Tribalism :cuckoo:

Arabs have been killing people just for being from the wrong village for centuries :(

I suppose the Western equivalent is beheading people in Mexico for being in the wrong gang. But at least they were adults who chose a certain lifestyle, not innocent villagers.

dl

cster 26 May 2012 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by David Lock (Post 10638844)
I suppose the Western equivalent is beheading people in Mexico for being in the wrong gang. But at least they were adults who chose a certain lifestyle, not innocent villagers.

dl

I know a Maronite (Christian) guy whose mother and brothers were killed in their home by Palestinians in Lebanon - basically for being in the wrong place.
He was 9 at the time.
It is very difficult for me to try and understand the mentality of these people.
I believe that he spent his early adulthood in the army getting even.

mattvortex 26 May 2012 05:32 PM

Bunch of bloody savages- its like they're centuries behing the developed world.

cookstar 26 May 2012 06:49 PM

Very easy to not understand I'd imagine, having never been in anything like the situation some of these people are in.

When not obeying an order could lead to your entire family being executed, you might do things you would never dream of normally.

dpb 26 May 2012 07:03 PM

Had a Lebanese friend at tech in 1983 ? We were doing o levels.
I think his family had money , he wasnt a teenager either , didn't really much about back home except he hated the Arabs. Could probably remember his name thought hard enough

Leslie 27 May 2012 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by David Lock (Post 10638811)
How Syrians, even if they are under orders, can bring themselves to mow down their own people and slit the throats of children (if reports are true).

Imagine being told to go into a village not far from you and kill the kids. Surely there is a point when you just have to say no, even if you know that you will possibly be shot for mutiny?

It's all so f,ucking unnecessary :mad:

dl

I understand just how you feel about it.

It is obviously a completely different mentality to the way we think, life is less important than position in the hierarchy I expect!

Very selfish attitude!

Les

MJW 27 May 2012 01:52 PM

It's basically down to PR management. When the US or UK hose down civilians and children the press is carefully managed into 'a regrettable incident'. Assad needs to sack his media advisers and hire the ones the CIA use.

David Lock 27 May 2012 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by MJW (Post 10640067)
It's basically down to PR management. When the US or UK hose down civilians and children the press is carefully managed into 'a regrettable incident'. Assad needs to sack his media advisers and hire the ones the CIA use.

Unless an individual US or UK soldier goes doolally then they do not "hose down civilians". Vietnam is over.

Sure they play down any nasty incidents but to simply say it is just PR management is, with respect, bollox.

But I suppose what goes on in Syria is a tea party compared to what happened in Rwanda and in many areas of Africa :(

dl

JTaylor 27 May 2012 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by MJW (Post 10640067)

MJW
Scooby Senior
2001 Porsche 911

My Garage
Trader Score: (0)

;)

CrisPDuk 27 May 2012 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by David Lock (Post 10640078)
Unless an individual US or UK soldier goes doolally then they do not "hose down civilians". Vietnam is over.

Sure they play down any nasty incidents but to simply say it is just PR management is, with respect, bollox.

But I suppose what goes on in Syria is a tea party compared to what happened in Rwanda and in many areas of Africa :(

dl

Sorry David, but I beg to differ, a significant minority of the US military are still killing civilians with impunity, and getting away with it, in both Iraq and Afghanistan :(

As for PR, do you not think it's significant that both the US DoJ and the Pentagon seem to put more effort into finding sources of leaks, than they do into keeping their armed forces within the law :(

The links below detail all civilian casualties, but the actions of UN forces feature heavily in both :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civilia...n_the_iraq_war

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civilia...0%93present%29

I would agree with your last comment though:( Some of things occurring in parts of Africa defy description :eek:

tony de wonderful 27 May 2012 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk (Post 10640198)
Sorry David, but I beg to differ, a significant minority of the US military are still killing civilians with impunity, and getting away with it, in both Iraq and Afghanistan :(

As for PR, do you not think it's significant that both the US DoJ and the Pentagon seem to put more effort into finding sources of leaks, than they do into keeping their armed forces within the law :(

What's your point?

Are you saying the rouge individual soldiers are just as dangerous as rogue governments?

David Lock 27 May 2012 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk (Post 10640198)

The links below detail all civilian casualties, but the actions of UN forces feature heavily in both :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civilia...n_the_iraq_war

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civilia...0%93present%29

I would agree with your last comment though:( Some of things occurring in parts of Africa defy description :eek:

May be I am looking at it through slightly rose tinted glasses but, of course, I do appreciate the terrible toll on civilians, many of whom got caught up in the conflict just for being in the wrong place. Can't make an omelet etc

But it's the act of slitting the throats of young children that I find so unspeakably awful. I simply cannot understand how people can order this or carry it out. They probably have children of their own who they love. And it's not even tribal.

Your second para is hugely subjective.

david

hodgy0_2 27 May 2012 06:31 PM

someone needs to have the balls to ring that cvnt Assad and tell him, his wife and all his cronies that they are dead men

simple,

like De Niro in Heat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOtaiiFJ1Wc

MJW 28 May 2012 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by David Lock (Post 10640078)

dl

It obviously works.

juggers 28 May 2012 01:16 AM

Load of bollocks, this thread is a great example as to how british society falls for it every time and gets behind the Government for war.
This sort of sh't has been happening for years in Africa however neither the Americans or us Brits have done foook all.

Why.........if you've got half a brain you would of worked it out buy now....OIL.

Some of the reports and victims claim the killers told them that they were Asads men etc....come on, if your doing something that you shouldn't be do you really think your going to tell them who you are. That's like robbing a bank and giving your name to the victims as your on the way out.

No decent person would do that sort of stuff surely? would imagine them to be Mercenaries and I hope they rot in hell and the devil bums them with his 12" c o k. However the blood is on our hands as I believe they are employed by our Governments and the states.

JTaylor 28 May 2012 07:40 AM

:cuckoo:

cster 28 May 2012 07:49 AM

Given me my first morning laugh!

tony de wonderful 28 May 2012 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by juggers (Post 10640839)
Why.........if you've got half a brain you would of worked it out buy now....OIL.

Good Freudian slip.

I won't buy your theory though.

David Lock 28 May 2012 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by juggers (Post 10640839)
Load of bollocks, this thread is a great example as to how british society falls for it every time and gets behind the Government for war.
This sort of sh't has been happening for years in Africa however neither the Americans or us Brits have done foook all.

Some of the reports and victims claim the killers told them that they were Asads men etc....come on, if your doing something that you shouldn't be do you really think your going to tell them who you are. That's like robbing a bank and giving your name to the victims as your on the way out.

No decent person would do that sort of stuff surely? would imagine them to be Mercenaries and I hope they rot in hell and the devil bums them with his 12" c o k. However the blood is on our hands as I believe they are employed by our Governments and the states.

That is a quite extraordinary post :eek:

So these nasty mercenaries that carried out the killing - did they smuggle in the tanks in the back of a few old pick-ups?

And exactly who on this thread is advocating war?

dl

Leslie 28 May 2012 11:00 AM

I personally feel that it is a gross failure of so called decent society in the World that the UN has not got the balls to do something positive to save all those innocent people.

Les

David Lock 28 May 2012 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 10641023)
I personally feel that it is a gross failure of so called decent society in the World that the UN has not got the balls to do something positive to save all those innocent people.

Les

Such as?

To be fair to UK, Hague is now in Russia telling them not to behave like arseholes.

d

Leslie 28 May 2012 11:51 AM

Set up a multinational force to walk in and take Assad and his murdering forces out of contention.

I believe it is wrong to stand by and watch what he is doing to his own people. It cannot be wrong to stop someone from murdering innocent people and children!

Les

JTaylor 28 May 2012 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 10641085)
Set up a multinational force to walk in and take Assad and his murdering forces out of contention.

I believe it is wrong to stand by and watch what he is doing to his own people. It cannot be wrong to stop someone from murdering innocent people and children!

Les

We did that in Iraq and you're on record as having claimed that to be, and I quote, "illegal". Assad's a pussycat compared to Hussein. You're also on record as claiming regime change in Libya as being "illegal", so what's the difference here, Les?

David Lock 28 May 2012 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 10641085)

Les

Come on Les - you know it doesn't work like that even if that was the right thing to do.

It's doubtful in the current mood, and with USA elections, that the UN could put a force together to invade the Isle of Wight let alone take on the military might of Syria.

Yes it's horrible to watch but the UN are doing their best. An alternative might be to just take out Assad and his cohorts with a one-off air strike but what a mess that would leave and probably initiate a full scale civil war. Anyway I can't see the UN sanctioning that!

dl

Terminator X 28 May 2012 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by David Lock (Post 10638811)

Presumably barbarians & cowards. How anyone can do such things to innocent children though beggars belief ...

TX.

jef 28 May 2012 01:53 PM

the simple fact is human beings as a species have some very evil and nasty character traits.
compounded by the enviroment in which some are raised.

these people dont think the way we do, there not exposed to a lifestyle we are, through history and tradition this has become a way of life over the centuries. add to that theyve expereiced attrocities against there own, and have vengance and revenge as guiding emotions.
these things combined with the potential evils of many resut in where we are today.

its not good, its not right - but the rest of the world doesnt have the drive to prevent it.

horrible situation for anyone to be in - cant really see where an answer lies tbh.

David Lock 28 May 2012 03:08 PM

I think that sums it up well jef.

But as I said in my OP it's so f,ucking unnecessary.

John Lennon was right - "Give Peace a Chance".

dl