ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Changin head bolts with engine still in place? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/937030-changin-head-bolts-with-engine-still-in-place.html)

swisstonihasher 23 May 2012 04:49 PM

Changin head bolts with engine still in place?

This is probably a stupid question but I wonder if it's possible to change head bolts on the scoob one at a time for arp items without taking the engine out and/or risking gasket movement? Any thoughts...
I'm sure it's a stupid idea but...

The Pink Ninja 23 May 2012 05:51 PM

Errr, No I don't think its possible but I could be wrong

RedScoob 23 May 2012 05:57 PM

I think even it it was technically possible (and I think the chassis arms would get in the way), it would be inadvisable due to the risk of headgasket failure.
I'll be interested to see what the more knowledgeable folks say...

Baz82 23 May 2012 06:28 PM

Its engine out for that job simple as that, it will only break your heart trying to do it in situ

PeeVee 23 May 2012 06:40 PM

^^ Yup, an impossible job with the engine in place as there is not enough space to remove the old bolts... Even with it out, you would be ill advised to do one bolt at a time as you would not be able to correctly tourque the heads down and would run a very high risk of a head gasket failyer or a warped cyl head.

**jay** 23 May 2012 08:22 PM

Much easier to just pull the engine out, would be best to pull the heads off, too much risk of head gaskets failing and warping the heads, it would be a nightmare to do a bolt at a time with the engine in.

SPEN555 23 May 2012 08:34 PM

Paul Daniels n co could probably do it :)

stedee 23 May 2012 08:54 PM

can be done if you really wanted to but easier to take engine out , its not as big a deal as you may think but i would change hgs if i was doing that for definate

swisstonihasher 24 May 2012 08:41 AM

Thanks for the responses, thought it be the case "best do it with take engine apart". In that case I'll wait for the day that the engine might need removing again and possibly even change the heads to VVTs at the same time...:thumb:

The Pink Ninja 24 May 2012 09:47 PM

If you do change to the AVCS(vvt) heads you will need the STI ecu to make the avcs work and about 4/5 additional wires putting in :thumb:

Neil.. 24 May 2012 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by stedee (Post 10635958)
can be done if you really wanted to but easier to take engine out , its not as big a deal as you may think but i would change hgs if i was doing that for definate

Rediculous, it's an impossible task to replace the head bolts with ARP studs with the engine in place.

prodriverules 24 May 2012 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by E_M_B (Post 10637368)
Rediculous, it's an impossible task to replace the head bolts with ARP studs with the engine in place.

+1 not a chance of doing it!!

swisstonihasher 25 May 2012 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by GAZ2293 (Post 10637328)
If you do change to the AVCS(vvt) heads you will need the STI ecu to make the avcs work and about 4/5 additional wires putting in :thumb:

Eye already sorted for that with alcatek ecu...it's totally possible and already has the VVT settings on the map just not currently in use.