ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Car Care (https://www.scoobynet.com/car-care-380/)
-   -   Iron X (https://www.scoobynet.com/car-care-380/936920-iron-x.html)

B0DSKI 22 May 2012 04:49 PM

Iron X

Just got some to try on the car before I clay it next time out.

MY GOD HOW MUCH DOES IT STINK!!!! :mad:

DarrenSTI 22 May 2012 07:19 PM

I read this on Detailingworld that it stinks lol......
meant to be really good stuff though, see it working away, let me know how you find it.
Do you only really use it on baked on crap, doubt I'd need any just wondered.

Is that the new ride the Civic TR?

wagontim 22 May 2012 07:28 PM

lol smelly but good so i hear? need some bleeding pics boyd :)

B0DSKI 22 May 2012 07:56 PM

Apparently it can be used on pretty much everything Darren. The paint on the CTR is pretty good after I spent six hours on it last week.

I'm going to strip off the Dodo supernatural and give the Werkstat acrylic kit a go which is supposed to be the dogs on white cars. For best results I was advised to wash,dry,iron X,clay and then the three step Werkstat kit.

Gonna be a long day lol

B0DSKI 22 May 2012 07:57 PM

Hopefully not too much bleeding Tim. Otherwise it means I did a sh1t job during the six hours of detailing last week lol

wagontim 22 May 2012 08:34 PM

the werkstat kit is awesome mate,exactly what i use :)

B0DSKI 22 May 2012 08:52 PM

Hope so mate. Polished bliss posted some cool looking pics of white cars after having it done

richs2891 23 May 2012 09:21 AM

lol it really does stink bad, I have to keep it in a sealed plastic bag so I dont smell it in the cupboard!
Only used it so far on wheels but its good stuff. Demo'd it on my neighbours car wheels for him was amazed how well it worked but hated the smell.

Richard

B0DSKI 23 May 2012 01:54 PM

Not even used it yet but the smell which apparently now smells of Cherry just makes me gag

DarrenSTI 23 May 2012 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by B0DSKI (Post 10635443)
Not even used it yet but the smell which apparently now smells of Cherry just makes me gag

Almost wanna buy some just to smell this lol, never known a product to course such a stink.
might be worth having a bottle on the shelf:wonder:, polishedbliss the place for it Boyd?
`

B0DSKI 23 May 2012 07:09 PM

No mate the Iron X came from i4detailing. There's a discount code on detailingworld.

ilogikal1 23 May 2012 07:23 PM

Clean Your Car do sample size too which is big enough for four wheels.

I've just ordered some Wolf's Decon Gel from Polished Bliss which does the same thing as Iron X, I'll wait to see if it smells any better though. :lol1:

B0DSKI 23 May 2012 07:43 PM

Can't be any worse lol

RICK... 23 May 2012 07:45 PM

I used it on my white Insignia a bit back, allover the bodywork etc, absolutely awesome stuff. Although I wish I'd of taken the wheels off and done a proper job.. went through a bottle of it in about half an hour!

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...b/IMG_0017.jpg

oh and yeah it does stink, I had to spray it on quickly and stand back lol

95turbowagon 23 May 2012 08:04 PM

There is some cherry stuff available which is mildly better smelling than the original, but still whiffs pretty bad.

had one of the inlaws come round and asked them to smell a few car products, started off with bilberry wheel cleaner which is a nice smell and them asked them to take a whiff of the iron x, 30 mins later and when they had gone they tx to say they could still smell it.

B0DSKI 24 May 2012 04:36 PM

Lol it is that bad, and mine is the cherry one!!!

Rick. Nice bleeding there mate. Job well done!

F1 CJE UK 24 May 2012 09:49 PM

its bad, when it 1st came out it was shocking.

B0DSKI 25 May 2012 10:13 AM

I'm quite looking forward to doing mine now :D

rob84 25 May 2012 10:31 AM

Ive got the latest version of the iron x its called TRIX it does the same job but now removes tar deposits

B0DSKI 25 May 2012 10:45 AM

Not seen that one. Have you tried it yet Rob ?

rob84 25 May 2012 06:37 PM

Yeah I've got a bottle here to try and so far so good. works the same as the iron-x but also now the tar runs off the paint, Fantastic stuff
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/images...d/trix-600.jpg

B0DSKI 25 May 2012 08:40 PM

I'll look out for that one next time

ADV. 25 May 2012 09:06 PM

Be careful with Iron-X on smart repairs, the way the main chemical in Iron-X (and wolfs) works has a reaction with (cheaper) smart repairs.

Iron Contamination products are used to remove Iron contamination (surprise lol) and these cant be removed with a wash or clay (they clay will "cut" the top of the iron fallout off leaving a tail behind).

So its wash, tar remover, iron contamination remover, clay.

If using on wheels (no matter which product), rinse, use wheel cleaner, then fall out remover, saves product. In the edges of the wheels where the worst normally is, I spray onto the brush and work that in rather than spray.

At the moment you have a varied choice of products:

Iron-X
Wolfs
Orchard AutoCare
Autobrite

They can be used on wheels and paintwork.

Others which are aimed more at wheels are:

Bilt-Hamber
Sonax
Sonus
Wonder Wheels

Just shop around and read reviews.

Whilst Trix is an iron contamination remover and tar remover, avi says it wont work as well as using the dedicated products since its a mix of the two.

prodriverules 25 May 2012 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by rob84 (Post 10638182)
Yeah I've got a bottle here to try and so far so good. works the same as the iron-x but also now the tar runs off the paint, Fantastic stuff
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/images...d/trix-600.jpg

Where did you get that from Rob?

95turbowagon 25 May 2012 10:17 PM

Looks like cleanyourcar.co.uk, there's a small banner in the middle of the pic you can just make out.

prodriverules 25 May 2012 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by 95turbowagon (Post 10638455)
Looks like cleanyourcar.co.uk, there's a small banner in the middle of the pic you can just make out.

Can't seem to find it on there site:wonder:

360ste 26 May 2012 12:43 AM

PB do a different product now from when they did Iron X. Works just aswell not sure of smell as I just use it. I think it is cheaper as you buy it in a 5 litre bottle, I decant it into my Iron x bottle.

ilogikal1 26 May 2012 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by prodriverules (Post 10638463)
Can't seem to find it on there site:wonder:

Clicky. Currently out of stock though.

Originally Posted by 360ste (Post 10638640)
PB do a different product now from when they did Iron X. Works just aswell not sure of smell as I just use it. I think it is cheaper as you buy it in a 5 litre bottle, I decant it into my Iron x bottle.

That's the Wolf's Decon gel, which I've just purchased from PB. It doesn't smell any better! On the bright side though, it doesn't smell any worse. :lol1:
I've not tried it yet myself though, but if it's good enough for PB... :D

craigybaby 29 May 2012 10:33 AM

i used iron x the other week on my car your right the smell is horrendous but is a fantastic product expecially on the wheels

F1 CJE UK 29 May 2012 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by 360ste (Post 10638640)

Wolfs is good stuff, works slower than Iron X but you can let it dry on, eg you coat the wheels clean the car and then wash off the wheels :thumb: