ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   WRX smoking (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/936912-wrx-smoking.html)

Alex.Stanbury 22 May 2012 03:47 PM

WRX smoking

I have a 2003 WRX which is fully decatted. When I drive the vehicle I have no problems but if I am going down hill with my foot off of the accelerator I can see smoke coming out of the exhaust, then when I put my foot back on the accelerator I get a whisp of smoke and no more. There is no smoke when I am driving normally just when going down hill with my foot off the gas, any ideas????

Alex.Stanbury 22 May 2012 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Alex.Stanbury (Post 10634247)
I have a 2003 WRX which is fully decatted. When I drive the vehicle I have no problems but if I am going down hill with my foot off of the accelerator I can see smoke coming out of the exhaust, then when I put my foot back on the accelerator I get a whisp of smoke and no more. There is no smoke when I am driving normally just when going down hill with my foot off the gas, any ideas????

It also doesn't start until I have driven the car for about 20 mins

Baz82 22 May 2012 06:37 PM

Valve seals maybe? Sucking the oil in with vacuum

Alex.Stanbury 22 May 2012 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Baz82 (Post 10634448)
Valve seals maybe? Sucking the oil in with vacuum

It does not appear to be using extra oil.

TonyBurns 22 May 2012 08:02 PM

What colour smoke?

Alex.Stanbury 22 May 2012 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by TonyBurns (Post 10634561)
What colour smoke?

Blue I think

TonyBurns 22 May 2012 08:11 PM

Blue = oil, would get your car checked out for sure.

Tony:)

Alex.Stanbury 22 May 2012 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by TonyBurns (Post 10634574)
Blue = oil, would get your car checked out for sure.

Tony:)

I was aware its oil, but what I find strange is that it is not using any extra, I am taking it in to get it checked this week but just wanted an idea what it might be. The fan also comes on but it is not heating up any more than usual.

andy.downes 23 May 2012 03:37 PM

Doesn't take much oil to create a cloud of smoke.
If it's blue smoke on the overrun, I would say piston rings. You say it disappears on throttle?
You SURE just does it down a hill? Give it some boost and then look in mirrors for a wisp of smoke.

Alex.Stanbury 23 May 2012 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by andy.downes (Post 10635522)
Doesn't take much oil to create a cloud of smoke.
If it's blue smoke on the overrun, I would say piston rings. You say it disappears on throttle?
You SURE just does it down a hill? Give it some boost and then look in mirrors for a wisp of smoke.

Yea sure, when i put my foot on the accelerator at the bottom of the hill I get a tiny whisp and then nothing

andy.downes 24 May 2012 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Alex.Stanbury (Post 10635541)
Yea sure, when i put my foot on the accelerator at the bottom of the hill I get a tiny whisp and then nothing

No smoke when foot down, foot off then a cloud of smoke?

Alex.Stanbury 25 May 2012 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by andy.downes (Post 10636473)
No smoke when foot down, foot off then a cloud of smoke?

Not a cloud, on overrun going down hill I get some, if its ticking over nothing, when I put my foot on the accelerator I get a little whisp and then it stops.