ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Will the Hawkeye "burble"??? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/936373-will-the-hawkeye-burble.html)

gazowen 17 May 2012 08:30 PM

Will the Hawkeye "burble"???

Having spent the last two months looking at Scoobies and and numerous posts on here and the rest of the internet I'm still none the wiser! Way back when, I owned a Classic UK spec Turbo, it burbled!! Not too loud but very destinctive and enough to satisfy. I've recently delved back into the market and drove a couple, one Blobeye, think it was an 05, heavily modded, sounded brilliant but decided against it, then most recently drove a Hawkeye, totally standard and was very disappointed with not only the exhaust note but the actual sound under the bonnet!! There wasn't a distinctive Scooby burble to be heard. The Astra SRi we were part exing sounded more meaty. I was suprised/gutted/disappointed. I've read about "equal length headers" and obviously replacement cats/back boxes but am none the wiser with conflicting information about both the 2.5 uk engine and "equal/unequal" length headers. My question, am I best going for the totally standard Hawkeye WRX >2006 (2.5) and spending the extra gaining a burble in the process with exhaust/cat/manifold upgrade or going for an older Blobeye <2006 (2.0) I prefer the look of the Hawkeye but don't want to sacrifice the soundtrack of a true Scooby.

Please help!!

Thanks in advance

Gareth

tubbytommy 17 May 2012 08:33 PM

its the unequal headers that make the rumble, the jdm twin scroll equal length headers dont.
the uk cars should all burble but the noise will be louder depending on exhaust

gazowen 17 May 2012 08:50 PM

Thanks for the quick reply, there was no burble! Lol. The ad said it was a 2006 WRX (Hawkeye) it had a single chrome (maybe 3") tailpipe. It only had one lady owner so was totally standard. As I said in my previous post there was no rumble from the engine either! Wiki says its the EJ255, is this right? 2.5 turbo flat four? From reading everything it sounds like they tried to kill the burble with the outlet manifold and exhaust system.

tubbytommy 17 May 2012 08:53 PM

if its a uk car it should have an unequal length manifold, this is what makes the burble although a standard exhaust will hide it, fit an aftermarket exhaust and possible decat and it will burble.

S3LDM 17 May 2012 08:57 PM

Mine does uk 2007 hawkeye STI..Cat back Blitz nur spec R system..

gazowen 17 May 2012 09:12 PM

Cheers fellas, Lee does your STi have equal or unequal length manifold?

I expect 100% it's unequal ��

Strange this WRX sounded like a Forrester! Lol. Wondering now whether it was an import.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...true?logcode=p

Thoughts?

Really appreciate the help, thank you

S3LDM 17 May 2012 09:27 PM

Yes gaz mine has unequal length manifold as should all uk cars unless they have been changed by the owner..

Wagon Gaz 17 May 2012 10:45 PM

Mine does, I think the standard exhaust with 2 cats and center resonator pipe masks it abit. Me thinks yours has standard zorst on.

mickeymouse 18 May 2012 12:23 AM

when i got my hawk, i to was gutted it didnt sound like it should..

its because of the standard exhaust, it just chokes the life out of it. both with power and sound.

if you want it to burble you have to change the exhaust..

daijones 18 May 2012 02:56 AM

The standard WRX exhaust has a twin tailpipe. The 56 plate dates it at about the time they were giving away a PPP free, with a single tailpipe; it's probably got that fitted for c. 270bhp. Get a proper exhaust on it and a remap and you should see 290 with a better noise

harvey 18 May 2012 08:44 PM

The burble is entirely due to the headers and uppipe in use. Generally cars with twin scroll turbos and equal length manifolds scream like a 4 cylinder Jap motorbike but cars that burble have the OE cast headers or an unequal length tubular exhaust but the decision to go with a tubular exhaust will depend on the power you extract from your turbo and indeed what turbo it is. Ported headers will extenuate the burble when done properly.
If noise is so important to you why not get an electric drill and put a couple of 3mm holes in your downpipe. That costs nothing and only takes half an hour of your time. :)

daz1968 19 May 2012 01:59 PM

Standard hawk wrx only has single tailpipe, I have only seen the twin on blob and earlier.
As above though fit a de res centre and decent backbox and it will be better, if you also want to remap then fit a second cat delete and panel filter as well.

harvey 20 May 2012 11:22 AM

It is not the tail section that makes the burble, that comes from unequal headers and the conventional uppipe. Fit equal length headers and you lose the burble.

Rob Day 20 May 2012 11:59 AM

From reading the OP's 2nd post it sounds like the exhaust is almost standard. Have you ever heard or driven a Standard Spec Subaru, they are almost completely noiseless.

Try searching on youtube for answers

example searches standard exhaust then aftermarket:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWJahoSWCHI

EL vs UEL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnUPHEcX3JY

As said though the pitch/tone changes with different setups too, so headers, up pipe, types of materials.... I believe Titanium offers a much more crisper sound ?!?

Rob

ajsscooby 20 May 2012 09:19 PM

Hi Gareth,

I have a 2006 Hawk from new and was quite amazed at how quiet the exhaust was, absolutely zero burble, but happy that there was no annoying boom on the motorway.
Like the others say, the burble comes from unequal length headers which are standard fit but on the Hawk it is silenced into mediocrity by the factory exhaust system.

More recently, I changed the standard exhaust for :- middle section > Afterburner resonated, rear section > Scoobyworld Racebox.

Result = scooby burble, no cabin boom, great sound when giving it some gas and passes sound check at Oulton park for track days (102dB)

AJS

mogs132 21 May 2012 04:18 PM

i have a hawk sti and was gutted when i got it as it didnt sound like a scooby, put a catback on it and sounds just like it should now. the burbles just muffled by the exhaust. put a cat back on and you wont be dissapointed with the hawk

gazowen 22 May 2012 02:26 AM

First of all, thanks for all the help, really appreciate the time you take to reply and share your knowledge, secondly, I'm proud to announce that after a 2 and a half hour journey (stuck in traffic for an hour on the M6) we've found just what we were looking for. A black 06 Prodrive WRX Hawkeye with a very, very nice exhaust note!! 59k miles with only two owners. We couldn't have done it without you LOL. I'll get some pics sorted ASAP, it's pretty standard to look at now but some cosmetic mods are planned ASAP. 18" alloys, STi boot spoiler, lowered with black mesh lower grill. We've part exed our existing car so we're really chuffed with the deal. Thanks to Barclay Motors for letting us view the vehicle at 8pm tonight, at his home!!! Cant wait to pick the car up Wed/Thurs!!

Thanks y'all

Gaz & Gem

53 22 May 2012 02:35 AM

My 2006 STI :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7Lj4SZiDjI

Prefer it standard now :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOefkDiJePg

S3LDM 22 May 2012 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by gazowen (Post 10633745)
First of all, thanks for all the help, really appreciate the time you take to reply and share your knowledge, secondly, I'm proud to announce that after a 2 and a half hour journey (stuck in traffic for an hour on the M6) we've found just what we were looking for. A black 06 Prodrive WRX Hawkeye with a very, very nice exhaust note!! 59k miles with only two owners. We couldn't have done it without you LOL. I'll get some pics sorted ASAP, it's pretty standard to look at now but some cosmetic mods are planned ASAP. 18" alloys, STi boot spoiler, lowered with black mesh lower grill. We've part exed our existing car so we're really chuffed with the deal. Thanks to Barclay Motors for letting us view the vehicle at 8pm tonight, at his home!!! Cant wait to pick the car up Wed/Thurs!!

Thanks y'all

Gaz & Gem

Well done mate you will not be disapointed sounds like a lovely car..

Get some pics up next weekend..[img]/grinning-smiley-17116.gif[/img]

wagon1 29 May 2012 10:48 AM

I have the same issue with mine, have put up with it for a year but now the lack on any subaru noise is bugging me!

Just picked up a Ninja 2 via the for sale section here. At the risk of a semi hi-jack, will this give me the burble we all look for or should I change the resonator out too?

Cheers

A

Rob Day 29 May 2012 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by wagon1 (Post 10642326)
I have the same issue with mine, have put up with it for a year but now the lack on any subaru noise is bugging me!

Just picked up a Ninja 2 via the for sale section here. At the risk of a semi hi-jack, will this give me the burble we all look for or should I change the resonator out too?

Cheers

A

Are you going to have the car remapped?

Rob

Baz82 29 May 2012 12:02 PM

Cheers

A

Have you read any of the posts from Harvey in this thread, its the unequal length type of exhaust manifold that gives the burble the type of cat back you have will only determine how loud it is

Rob Day 29 May 2012 12:37 PM

Cheers

A

Originally Posted by Baz82 (Post 10642394)
Have you read any of the posts from Harvey in this thread, its the unequal length type of exhaust manifold that gives the burble the type of cat back you have will only determine how loud it is

He hasnt said anything about his spec, so you can only assume he has a uk car with a standard exhaust!?!?

You cannot/hardly hear the burble with a standard exhaust, so by changing the back box should give him the desired noise, but could potential cause a little over boost without a remap :Suspiciou

The Burble is created by UEL headers, how loud it is would be created by the exhaust post Turbo, and more so for the back box.

The Flatter (evo/big bike) sound is created by EL hearders.

joz8968 29 May 2012 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by 53 (Post 10633746)

Is that that 'tuner'/RR place that used to be in Witham, Essex?

53 29 May 2012 01:42 PM

Yes mate went to the wall a few years ago :)

joz8968 29 May 2012 02:29 PM

Yeah, that's what I heard.

But you could easily see that occurring TBH.

wagon1 29 May 2012 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Rob Day (Post 10642360)
Are you going to have the car remapped?

Rob

I hadn't planned on it, looking to keep the rest standard as it's my sensible daily driver.

As Rob guessed it's a UK (WRX) and completely standard, so no issues with regards to headers. The car does have a little of the 'subaru' sound, but only if you go and sit with your head next to the exhaust and only really on initial start up, so just need the volume turning up a few notches for my own amusement.

Hadn't really thought about changing out the cat to bb pipe until today as not fussed about any potential power gains in the future, but if i'm going to be under the car anyway. But if you don't think i'll need it for desired effect i'll not bother, no point wasting pennies.

Cheers for the info and opinions.

Rob Day 29 May 2012 07:01 PM

Just change the back box then, and watch it for over boosting!

Rob

wagon1 29 May 2012 07:03 PM

Excellent, cheers Rob

:)

gaz12290 04 June 2012 02:04 PM

Does the hawkeye sti have two cats?
Where?
Will hawk it still pass MOT if you remove the second cat