ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   FAO legal boffs, wills etc etc (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/935307-fao-legal-boffs-wills-etc-etc.html)

apples24 08 May 2012 05:41 PM

FAO legal boffs, wills etc etc

basicly this is a weird one, my mother owns a flat prob 5 years left on mortage, she was selling it to move in with a new fella but it ended and now shes doing the whole what if they split up and she had bought a house for them or what if she died basicly as im her only son she wants to protect my inheritance, she sees the flat as a problem she would rather start a fresh relationship with nothing, unless of course the new chap has moey to put in also then thats different, but she still wants to protect something for me

so she firrst said well cant i just sign the flat over to you and i live in it but really thats no good, i said well what about 50% to me that way no matter what bless you mum you have left me prob 60k. thing is though what about mortages and if she has to remortgage blah blah blah

long and the short of it if she moves on with a new life she wants me to be safe and secure with an inheritance

anyone any ideas?

cookstar 08 May 2012 11:55 PM

As long as she doesn't marry then if the worst happens her share of any future house will just go into her estate, which you will inherit.

Just make sure that if she does buy with someone else the house is recorded as "tenants in common", meaning she can "will" her predetermined share to whom she likes.

jef 09 May 2012 12:13 AM

could a will not include such details?

Lee247 09 May 2012 12:43 AM

I am in the process of Divorce and have had my half of the house changed to Tentants in Common. Basically, if I snuff it next week, before the Divorce is through, my half of the house goes to kids. His nibs gets nowt.
Sorry if that is not what you were asking :)

cookstar 09 May 2012 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by Lee247 (Post 10615007)
I am in the process of Divorce and have had my half of the house changed to Tentants in Common. Basically, if I snuff it next week, before the Divorce is through, my half of the house goes to kids. His nibs gets nowt.
Sorry if that is not what you were asking :)

Sorry to hear that. :(

Lee247 09 May 2012 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by cookstar (Post 10615010)

awww, thanks Cookie. It's been a long time coming. I'm quite looking forward to it, to be honest :):)

Leslie 09 May 2012 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by cookstar (Post 10615010)

So am I Lee.

Les

EddScott 09 May 2012 03:18 PM

Rent the flat and contribute a high proportion to the mortgage to offset the lack of equity she is bringing to the table.

That way, if things go south she can move back in to the flat.

She could quite easily end up with nothing - or at best an almighty bun-fight sorting out who owns what. She must retain some independence.

apples24 09 May 2012 04:07 PM

i tried and tried to tell her that she live with the last chap for a year and left her flat empty!!!! but up for sale

the tenants in common does sound ok but i just think she wants something in paper
that i get what i get.
normaly i used to think oh well what will b e will be but then selfeshly i thought .... hang on this is my inheritance and something happened to her and someone else walks with it id be quite upset

andy97 09 May 2012 07:08 PM

Apple's because there is still a mortgage, any alteration to the title will have to be agreed with the lender, the lender has a charge over the property. Shouldn't be a problem just get a solicitor to do it correctly.

apples24 09 May 2012 07:11 PM

i did presume that was the case as the house isnt hers yet i presume, think she still owes 25k on it.

wouldnt she surley have to remortgage? i really dont want her to have any complications or jeopardise anything.

andy97 09 May 2012 07:30 PM

Not necessarily, speak to a solicitor, they will probably initially answer most of your questions over the phone.

pimmo2000 10 May 2012 07:42 AM

I would say be careful of the tax, if she hands it over and dies within 5 years (I think) you'll get bummed for tax.

apples24 10 May 2012 08:29 AM

tax? her estate is well below the inheritance threshold

Bristol98 10 May 2012 09:21 AM

6 years for inheritance tax....

cookstar 10 May 2012 09:27 AM

If it's below the threshold then no tax is payable, unless she keeps it on and it's no longer her prime residence, she will be liable for cgt.

Maz 10 May 2012 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Lee247 (Post 10615125)
awww, thanks Cookie. It's been a long time coming. I'm quite looking forward to it, to be honest :):)

Yikes! Wasn't aware of this.
Hope it's all been amicable.:)

Apologies to the OP for going off topic.