ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   'Clicking' steering (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/934077-clicking-steering.html)

Truss 28 April 2012 04:33 PM

'Clicking' steering

Hope someone has experience of this! Ive got ain intermitant clicking noise that sounds like it's in my steering wheel.
It only seems to happen when the cars moving and im turning either way. not when i'm stationary - or not yet anyway.
A fast clicking is the best way i can describe it, its only intermitant and whenever i try and get it on video, its never there!
Any ideas?

lamby2k12 28 April 2012 08:35 PM

Mine has started doing it soni jacked it up and it was the cv joint as the rubber is ripped

DonNedly 29 April 2012 09:39 AM

sounds like cv joint

Truss 29 April 2012 12:33 PM

sorry for being thick, do i literally just have to jack the car up and look at the rubber? no removing anything?
Its not long had an MOT and nothing was mentioned.

P600wrx 29 April 2012 12:45 PM

Sounds like cv joints to me, my drivers side was clicking, so got a pair of 2nd hand driveshafts for £40 of a mate who breaks scoobs, do buy a cv joint its messy and will do ur head in, only other thing causing a click will be steering rack but I have never heard of it on a scoob, just the cv joints

Truss 29 April 2012 12:49 PM

Thanks. i wasnt sure if it was a bush somewhere along the steering side of things. Its just that i cant hear it when im turning when stationary.
Ill get under when the weather isnt so wet and get it booked in!

lamby2k12 29 April 2012 12:57 PM

Well I took my wheels off noticed the inside was covers in crease and it was the outter cv joints cost me £55 pair side that will give u a ruff price

DonNedly 29 April 2012 01:47 PM

The symptoms you have described are the most obvious sign there is a cv joint problem. You may find the cv boot is damaged or that there is play in the driveshaft but you may not see/feel anything. The clicking is the first sign of a problem.

btw
j and r cv joints will supply oe spec cv joints for the scoob for £19 each

P600wrx 29 April 2012 01:50 PM

Did u pay £55 per side for what, as I said I got a complete pair of shafts for £40

lamby2k12 29 April 2012 06:31 PM

I had the boots replaced not the shafts

Truss 29 April 2012 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by DonNedly (Post 10600595)
The symptoms you have described are the most obvious sign there is a cv joint problem. You may find the cv boot is damaged or that there is play in the driveshaft but you may not see/feel anything. The clicking is the first sign of a problem.

btw
j and r cv joints will supply oe spec cv joints for the scoob for £19 each

Thanks for the info. should i do both sides at that price?

DonNedly 29 April 2012 08:41 PM

might as well, i have the same thing, clicking when turning right.
I have 2 new cv joints sat here waiting to go on.
The j&r ones include new boots too. Great price, i originally ordered them from import car parts for £99 for the pair but when they turned up they were j&r ones so i sent them back and ordered them direct from j&r for £19 each. I think Subaru wanted £300 a side IIRC.

Truss 30 April 2012 07:08 PM

Cheers Don that's great info.
Will be booked tomorow.

lamby2k12 30 April 2012 07:31 PM

Mine was 55 quid per side to do the cv boots