ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Is there an app that will tell you how much data is being eaten into my allowance (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/933682-is-there-an-app-that-will-tell-you-how-much-data-is-being-eaten-into-my-allowance.html)

timmy2take 24 April 2012 10:44 PM

Is there an app that will tell you how much data is being eaten into my allowance

I've downloaded an app that I get a warning when I'm close to my 500mb allowance. I only got it today, so I closed all apps on my iphone and looked at it a few times. Sitting in a 3g area within an hour I'd accumulated 1mb of data and I hadn't even used it to go online and I don't think I'd received any emails in that time either.

bustaMOVEs 24 April 2012 11:00 PM

Sounds like the app youve downloded eats data itself, if your on o2 you can check online, and also get a txt when your close to your limit

myblackwrx 25 April 2012 12:35 AM

I use 3G watchdog on my Galaxy S2 but also check online with my supplier (Tesco) and they also send me a text when I'm within 50meg of max usage.

I do normally have my datanetwork turned off as did find that leaving it on it would go through my allowance quite quickly.

GazTheHat 25 April 2012 12:45 AM

3G Watchdog

timmy2take 25 April 2012 02:56 PM

Its for my iphone and they don't seem to do it or an equivalent. I've upgraded my contract to 1gb allowance, bit of a bummer really as it costs more, but hopefully less than the extra £20 or so I've been charged for the last two months running for an extra 250mb!

stevebt 25 April 2012 06:49 PM

Remember apps like that will take into account data used on wifi as well.

timmy2take 25 April 2012 07:06 PM

There's 2 different sections. 3g and wifi, it was def. the 3g section going up. Talk talk weren't able to help either, they just said they could see something going online approx. every 2 hours.

T20Driver 25 April 2012 10:17 PM

I use Onavo .. which also compresses the data I believe so you use less of your allowance

Coffin Dodger 26 April 2012 09:45 AM

Just updated my Galaxy S2 to Android 4 (Ice Cream Sandwich), it has a data monitor built in, not that I really bothered as I'm on an "unlimited" plan with T-Mobile :)

Suprised the iPhone doesn't have something to do this built into the OS, more fuel to the fire for the Android vs iPhone debate I guess :lol1:

JackClark 26 April 2012 11:34 AM

It does and always has.

DonNedly 26 April 2012 11:58 AM

i use 3g watchdog and juice defender which stops my phone going online when the screen is locked.
This is all on android tho.

TonyBurns 26 April 2012 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by T20Driver (Post 10595779)
I use Onavo .. which also compresses the data I believe so you use less of your allowance

Yep use this also, you can also put in a limit where it will warn you when you hit it, quite handy really :D
Best of the ones ive used to date.

Tony:)