ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wheels, Tyres & Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/)
-   -   Views on Black Diamond (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/932136-views-on-black-diamond.html)

PHIL T WRX 12 April 2012 08:43 PM

Views on Black Diamond

Need some new discs and pads, just wondered what people thought of black diamond grooved & drilled discs and pads to go with them :)
Brembos, cheers Phil :thumb:

BAD BOY V 12 April 2012 08:56 PM

i wouldn't really use drilled discs personally just the fear of them cracking, im using Tarrox discs and Fereodo ds2500, very good bite, do squeak when not warmed up, but there very good, abit on the pricey side, what ever you decide to go for, do not go for kelvar pads or discs, had a bad 2 months experience with these, they were cheap at the time, but really S**T.

heres a review on the black diamond, have a look mate:

https://www.scoobynet.com/group-buys...and-lines.html

regards

VJ

scouser321 12 April 2012 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by BAD BOY V (Post 10575378)
i wouldn't really use drilled discs personally just the fear of them cracking, im using Tarrox discs and Fereodo ds2500, very good bite, do squeak when not warmed up, but there very good, abit on the pricey side, what ever you decide to go for, do not go for kelvar pads or discs, had a bad 2 months experience with these, they were cheap at the time, but really S**T.

heres a review on the black diamond, have a look mate:

https://www.scoobynet.com/group-buys...and-lines.html

regards

VJ

Disagree on the Kevlar pads.

I have Godspeed grooved discs and kevlar fast road pads. Love them :thumb:

johnlogie 12 April 2012 11:59 PM

I had Black diamond discs front and rear and the front ones cracked after 2 track days, although the rears have stood up well, really depends on your intended use, tbh id rather have standard fronts rather than black diamond ones, just my opinion btw ;)

PHIL T WRX 13 April 2012 06:26 AM

Thanks for the comments guys :thumb:

TheCake 16 April 2012 02:21 PM

Phil,

I've got Black Diamond Disks and Pads on my Wagon I bought on here in November. Back then, I thought they were good but a 1 hour fast A/B Road thrash has utterly ruined them and they're just useless now.

Bit disappointed to be honest. I'm going for Godspeed I think next time. See how they stack up. :)

ScoobyDoo69 16 April 2012 04:19 PM

My dad cracked two set of Black diamond discs :thumb:

TheCake 16 April 2012 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo69 (Post 10580868)
My dad cracked two set of Black diamond discs :thumb:

:eek: Definitely getting mine changed this week. The quote from the local garage for £140 all in to do the whole lot saves me getting the jacks and tools out in the cold. Get in.

Larky 17 May 2012 03:23 PM

I thought the pads (ft) were good when used with godspeed discs. Used them at the ring a few years ago and lasted fine with my over braking. No fading , smoking or anything after a few laps.

After a set now if anyone knows of a place doing a good price. I know revolution used to sell them for a good price but cant see them on there anymore.

Ryan@Indigo-GT 17 May 2012 04:51 PM

I've never been impressed with Black Diamond, if you want an awesome set of discs that will take a beating, I'd go with Performance Friction two piece discs in combination with their pads, alternatively if you literally want to stop on a penny, combine them with Carbotech pads, I've been used them for years and nothing has come close.

Godspeed Brakes 17 May 2012 04:58 PM

What does the car get used for , how hard do you drive , any track days planned , all these factors can make a huge difference in pad choice , no point in putting a mild pad in if you do track days , and no point having the ultimate set up if your popping down the shops and cruising back and forth to work.

I would also steer away from drilled discs , drilling through the grain structure in a disc will weaken it and can crack around the hole , which can end up cracking right through the disc.

I can offer you various setup depending on your driving style

Cheers Ian

alcazar 17 May 2012 04:59 PM

Have a look what Godspeed offers.

I've been using Ian's pads and discs for some years now and never a complaint.

bustaMOVEs 17 May 2012 05:04 PM

Depends on your budget and use but agree with indigo gt, top combination, and yes as others have said, avoid drilled as can crack when upto temp.
A good pad combination does the trick, go for grooved only discs IMO and decent pads like blue stuff, ds2500. Kevlar pads are ok but dependant on how you drive (Sunday driver).
I have 335 kit from Godspeed and they are pretty good with blue pads and also ds2500 which I think blue are good for fast road speeds and ds2500 are good when warmed up(track)
All the best

KrisBuc 18 May 2012 03:02 PM

Another Godspeed customer here :thumb: