ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Sti ppp or WR1 (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/931992-sti-ppp-or-wr1.html)

Jelly 11 April 2012 01:55 PM

Sti ppp or WR1

I have been a member here for a very long time but haven’t contributed a great deal because I haven’t had a Scooby yet. I have been entertaining the idea for a very long time and am now in a position to get one. I like a drivers car, a little rough round the edges. I have no concerns over quality of interior etc, I just don’t care. Have in the past had a Clio cup and Focus RS, both awesome cars “IMO”, both gave me what I was looking for.

So I am looking at either a 2.0l wrx/sti with ppp or a WR1. In reality is it really worth the extra money, only a couple £K really for the WR1. Worth considering that at the moment I have no intension of modifying and want to purchase a standard well looked after car. I do intend on a long weekend at the ring at some point. One of my things to do before die.

Cheers

tubbytommy 11 April 2012 02:05 PM

an early blobeye i.e. before my05 is the same as the wr1 apart from no dccd,
if its a later facelift blob sti then it will have the dccd fitted and have facelifted interior and wider track (you will see rear wheel arch extensions.)

the wr1 is not worth the extra money in my opinion and id rather have a blob sti mainly because i dont like the colour of the wr1.

the wr1 is basically a narrow track blob with a dccd fitted, the later sti widetrack is a better car, but id still have a narrow track one over a wr1 due to the colour being nasty and making them hard to sell on.

highlandflyer 11 April 2012 03:25 PM

You're in a good position

I bought an '05 WRX with ppp last year and it's great.
It all boils down to what you want out of it.
I agree about WR1 colour and if I was in the market just now would probably go for either a standard 265bhp '05 STI (same output as WRX ppp) or the ppp.
As you probably know STI's have stronger internals (good for 390ish bhp) and stronger six speed box. Also dccd though probably just a toy on road.
WRX is comparetively more comfortable on our roads and will keep up with any of above in sensible road driving. WRX is also a good bit cheaper and sounds great with ppp (not too loud as most aftermarket exhausts).
I have found insurance quotes for WRX and STI not too far apart suprisingly so would probably go STI ppp remapped to 340ish bhp. This would give you a pretty raw machine, also add whiteline ARB upgrade and you're there!!
So, sorry for longish post but it's a buyers market so be picky and you'll end up very happy.

BLOB EYE 11 April 2012 04:09 PM

from a WR1 owners perspective.

it depends on what you want to do with it. i bought a WR1 as the BHP/Torque was there already, the WR1 is 320 as standard where as the STi as indicated is 265 (as was the wr1 as it left subaru to go to prodrive)

i didnt want to mod right now and wanted something that was Ltd Edn as i am only in the UK for 6 weeks of the year. it has low mileage at only 36K and i did 700 miles last year, the way this car is it will hold its resale value.

if your looking to and enjoy modding then i would recommend the STi route and have fun doing it. im not against the STi and modding route, it just didnt suit my requirements at this time.

in a few years the 1 will probably be sold and i will join the masses of STi modding petrol heads.

FYI there is currently only around 370 of the original 500 left as they have been written off or simply broken due to the times where cars are worth more in bits than in whole.

people who look to buy a WR1 know what they are looking for and its the low mileage, highly serviced and well looked after example that are saught after.

dont be drawn in and pay the extra purely because its Ltd as if you use it as a daily car, the value will be shredded against a car that is in the position that mine is.

after a few years a daily running wr1 will be worth the same as an STi.

waffled a bit but i have a good view of both sides having owned only blobs, wrx, sti and wr1.

topman2180 11 April 2012 04:10 PM

buy a my05 uk blob or a jdm blob if you can find one.

B0DSKI 11 April 2012 04:48 PM

Buy my Blob then all the mods are already done for ya :)

B4D HK 11 April 2012 06:11 PM

Id say go for the WR1 (if money isnt such an issue)

I like the colour and it is a (worthwhile) ltd edition.

320 is decent power and this can be had by simply remapping a 'normal' newage sti for circa £300

All the best, go for it, both are great cars

H

Jelly 11 April 2012 06:47 PM

Thanks for all the help.

I am guessing I need a wide track dccd sti or sti-ppp. What year did the wide track dccd start?

HAGGY 11 April 2012 06:53 PM

i looked at lots of wr1 ,, all were overpriced ! and in bad condition , i bought a 06 last of the blobeyes with ppp , widetrack too ! i love it !

tubbytommy 11 April 2012 07:00 PM

there is a wr1 near me and is very poorly looked after and worse still has chav graphics all over it.
maybe this is what puts me off them
but if your after a uk car get a widetrack blob, once a 300 remap is on it it will be more powerful and wont be a colour you cant sell on.

BLOB EYE 11 April 2012 07:13 PM

tommy, what are you talking about mate, a 300 map is not going to be more powerful than 320 the numbers show it.

ok the colour is not to everyones liking but then again, i like the 1's colour as its not as common as clitorous blue (02C). and its not the colour that you cant sell on, its the fact that the owner believes that because its Ltd Edn it deserves the premium and over price them.

a WR1 is worth top money only if its been looked after and is a true good example. that said, the market the way it is, belongs to the buyer.

i appreciate your comments and understand its the internet but giving advice is different than ramming your opinions down peoples throats.

daz1968 11 April 2012 07:28 PM

Jdm widetrack blob is approx same power as wr1, slightly more after uk fuel map, great cars if you can find a good one for sale, that's the route I chose and I don't regret it, but I also think the wr1 looks good and I must say I like the colour as it stands out.

tubbytommy 11 April 2012 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by BLOB EYE (Post 10573577)
tommy, what are you talking about mate, a 300 map is not going to be more powerful than 320 the numbers show it.

ok the colour is not to everyones liking but then again, i like the 1's colour as its not as common as clitorous blue (02C). and its not the colour that you cant sell on, its the fact that the owner believes that because its Ltd Edn it deserves the premium and over price them.

a WR1 is worth top money only if its been looked after and is a true good example. that said, the market the way it is, belongs to the buyer.

i appreciate your comments and understand its the internet but giving advice is different than ramming your opinions down peoples throats.

a ecutek remap will see around 330bhp on a blob sti.

a widetrack blob sti is a better all round car.

in mine and most peoples opinion a wr1 is not worth the premium and is a harder car to sell on, i believe a wr1 owner has confirmed this in another thread.

but if you like the colour then go for it, as it is still an excellent car.

Jelly 11 April 2012 07:43 PM

Was the dccd an option or standard on cars of a certain age?

tubbytommy 11 April 2012 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jelly (Post 10573618)

on uk cars the sti 2003 and 2004 didnt have it, the 2004 wr1 did.

the 2005 sti i.e widetrack car had a dccd and has a revised interior, you can tell the difference as a widetrack car will have wheel arch extensions on the rear arches.

this is the blob to go for as the wider track improved the handling and it has other geometry tweeks and also a revised interior(same as a hawkeye)

the wr1 is a great car dont get me wrong,if you like the colour go for it as you probably wont tell the difference on the road to any other blob sti.

donny andi 11 April 2012 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by BLOB EYE (Post 10573577)

Mine was running just shy of the 400, when first up for sale I couldn't even get a viewing at £9500....I will always say it was the hardest car I've ever had to sell on , even the bloke I bought it off knocked a grand off via email then another £500 on the day I went for it as it had been for sale for 3 months

topman2180 12 April 2012 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by Jelly (Post 10573618)

My05

get an 05 plate or 55 plate and you also get the lower tax band . If its a 55 plate make sure its a blob 2.0 not a hawk 2.5 on uk model. Ive seen some 54 plates with the wide track also I believe but make sure you get the right one with updated interior.

MattyB1983 12 April 2012 08:31 AM

Just get a 2005 Widetrack blob. Wouldn't worry about it having PPP either as in reality, it's sh1te.
Save the extra few grand that you'd spend on a WR1 and put a grand into a STI. Nice exhaust, panel filter, 3 port and a mapping session will make a lovely and powerful car.

Billy 3 12 April 2012 11:15 AM

I got a 05 blob around 3 month ago,my first scooby.After listening
to the advice on here i am happy to say it is probably the best car
for the money that i have ever had.

Jelly 12 April 2012 01:21 PM

The 05 sti ppp's are obviously popular. Having a look around all I can find are 03 sti ppp's and hawkeyes.

chunkb 12 April 2012 04:09 PM

Get a good WR1,they are bloody great,and the colour is lovely too.....
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...0/IMG_9452.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...DSCF0001-1.jpg

MattyB1983 12 April 2012 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jelly (Post 10574742)
The 05 sti ppp's are obviously popular. Having a look around all I can find are 03 sti ppp's and hawkeyes.

Don't rush into a purchase, you will end up with something that your not 100% happy with. Nothing worse than buying something and thinking 'I wish I'd waited and got such and such'.
Take your time, do plenty of research and I'm certain the right car will come along.
I'd also consider a JDM 05 car, better all round car than the UK variant but are harder to find and demand a slightly higher price.

L.J.F 12 April 2012 04:32 PM

I would look at a car thats rare or a bit different from the norm. How many uk blob sti's do you see when out and about......

L.J.F 12 April 2012 04:36 PM

I would just like to add that I would also avoid the WR1 due to not being available in a male colour:D

B0DSKI 12 April 2012 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by L.J.F (Post 10574976)
I would just like to add that I would also avoid the WR1 due to not being available in a male colour:D

:lol:

MattyB1983 12 April 2012 09:21 PM

IMO the WR1 just isn't worth the extra £££ they command. They are not a patch on a JDM blob but cost similar money.

Jelly 12 April 2012 10:12 PM

Something a little special.

Worth the price? http://pistonheads.com/sales/3805077.htm

RRP1STI 13 April 2012 10:50 PM

Jelly,do what I did,I was in similar situation to you just over 3 years ago,was thinking of changing my P1 for a WR1,liked the colour and 320bhp out of the box,but came to conclusion that,at the time,they were overpriced for what they are-a pale blue STI with PPP.I bought a low mileage 55 plate STI (no PPP),and had Scoobyworld performance package fitted,exhaust,filter,fuel pump,re-map,cost less than 1k and gives 330bhp.That white blob does look v nice-got to be worth a look

Billy 3 14 April 2012 10:49 AM

Love it in white,but you will always pay over the odds from a garage.
Probably worth 10k private so you will lose a grand + as soon as you drive
it from the garage

tubbytommy 14 April 2012 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Jelly (Post 10575554)
Something a little special.

Worth the price? http://pistonheads.com/sales/3805077.htm

says one of 5 which i think is incorrect, but as its very rare in that colour i think its worth more than the other colours but perhaps not quite that much.