ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Whats the going rate for a MAF these days then? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/931895-whats-the-going-rate-for-a-maf-these-days-then.html)

Marcuscooby 10 April 2012 06:32 PM

Whats the going rate for a MAF these days then?

I have just bought a 2001 classic UK turbo 2000 and think the MAF may be original. It has 87K and i always hear horror stories about MAF failures.
If its a reasonable price then I'll just get one.

Does it have to be a genuine one?

Is there a way of testing the sensor?

Cheers

rob84 10 April 2012 06:34 PM

circa £100 inc vat if I recall

L.J.F 10 April 2012 09:31 PM

Advanced automotive sell them for less than £80 mate;)

Bob Rawle 10 April 2012 09:38 PM

Not a new age maf he won't they are more like £250 plus

Even at that mileage the maf would probably be ok its the MY99-00 mafs that cause all the trouble not these.

They do fail but very rare, normally due to poor filtration when an induction kit or course filter panel is used.

cheers

bob

Marcuscooby 11 April 2012 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Rawle (Post 10572283)
Not a new age maf he won't they are more like £250 plus

Even at that mileage the maf would probably be ok its the MY99-00 mafs that cause all the trouble not these.

They do fail but very rare, normally due to poor filtration when an induction kit or course filter panel is used.

cheers

bob

So is this relevant to my car?

I have a 2001 CLASSIC on an X plate. Is this MAF the same as the 99-00 cars?

Its always had standard airbox and filter.

Surely there must be a way of testing these sensors?

Im paranoid about it now.

HELP

craiginsight 11 April 2012 02:53 PM

Mate I've got a classic on an X plate and a new MAF will set you back around £80-£100. My cars has done 71k and had a few flat spots on boost. The garage that I bought it from tried an old MAF (dusty one from their shelf) which was knackered and the engine was lumpy as hell. You'll know if the MAF goes but, I don't think it's much to worry about as there are lots of places to get them.

I asked if there was a way to test the MAF and there wasn't. Even hooking the diagnostics kit into the odb11 port showed no errors or warnings.

Mine turned out to be the turbo solenoid which again cost around £90.

If the car is running fine, I'd leave it.

Marcuscooby 11 April 2012 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by craiginsight (Post 10573199)
Mate I've got a classic on an X plate and a new MAF will set you back around £80-£100. My cars has done 71k and had a few flat spots on boost. The garage that I bought it from tried an old MAF (dusty one from their shelf) which was knackered and the engine was lumpy as hell. You'll know if the MAF goes but, I don't think it's much to worry about as there are lots of places to get them.

I asked if there was a way to test the MAF and there wasn't. Even hooking the diagnostics kit into the odb11 port showed no errors or warnings.

Mine turned out to be the turbo solenoid which again cost around £90.

If the car is running fine, I'd leave it.

Thanks for the input there. The car seems to pulse very slightly on part throttle boost so I was just guessing MAF but it sounds like it could be the boost solenoid now? Where's this located? A good clean may help it so I'll whip it off later if it's easy enough.

Anyway Subaru want £122 for a MAF. That silly money surely.

Cheers

Ray T 11 April 2012 03:57 PM

Is the pulsing not the original late classic ecu issue? I know I had my MY00 ecuteked to smooth it out. Is it on its original ecu?

Marcuscooby 11 April 2012 04:50 PM

Yes it's standard original ECU. The pulsing really is very very faint. Other people say they can't feel it.

craiginsight 11 April 2012 04:54 PM

Mine was the solenoid but, I have heard the of the later ECU problem. Now the solenoid has been replaced I can't feel any hesitation when my car is on boost.

The solenoid is on the same place as the bugeye and blob from what I can gather. Scroll down on this thread and there's a picture of the engine bay from a blob sti. The solenoid is in the same place: https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...-solenoid.html

A clean of the MAf may be worth a go. Not sure about the solenoid as it could be corroded. That's second hand information but, from a reliable source.

Just done a search for MAF sensors and you may struggle to get a new one for £80. Scooby World has one for £118. Maybe better off trying one from a classic that is running OK and see how it goes on yours.