ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   a lot of Super Unleaded (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/931701-a-lot-of-super-unleaded.html)

bigsinky 09 April 2012 08:08 AM

a lot of Super Unleaded

ok so my subaru has been off the road for a long time. the fuel tank was so full of crap from the last time i raced it. SUL and methanol seem to produce a kind of toxic sludge that clogs up the gauzes in the fuel pumps and makes them whine like a b1tch.

Anyhoo we get a second hand tank that's in a pretty pristine condition. its been cleaned out and all is good. OMG the work involved in replacing a 95 WRX petrol tank is unreal. the whole back end of the car literally has to come apart.

so the moment of truth. car is back together again. i have been and filled a 20 litre gerry can (£30). we fire the car up first time. we drive it to a garage for more petrol because we need to put a run in map in the car. bearing in mind i have already put £30 in the car, i managed to stick another £60 of SUL in the tank. I chickened out when the pump choked and as everyone knows there is another £5 of SUL that can go in after the pump chokes.

so £91 of SUL to fill a 95 WRX tank. i was shocked but i suppose not surprised. it's been a long time since my race car has any SUL in its tank.

kingofturds 09 April 2012 08:45 AM

:Dhttp://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...EeXIcHTYbP3d0A

dpb 09 April 2012 08:51 AM

Sounds like a nice weekend big boy :thumb:

Ant 09 April 2012 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by kingofturds (Post 10569589)

:lol1:

Leslie 09 April 2012 12:08 PM

If you can't take a joke!

Les :eek:

Ray T 09 April 2012 02:19 PM

Sounds like you put in a 60 litre tank from a later car, at least you be able to go a little bit further at full throttle;)

Jamz3k 09 April 2012 02:27 PM

chav.

prodriverules 09 April 2012 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by bigsinky (Post 10569565)
ok so my subaru has been off the road for a long time. the fuel tank was so full of crap from the last time i raced it. SUL and methanol seem to produce a kind of toxic sludge that clogs up the gauzes in the fuel pumps and makes them whine like a b1tch.

Anyhoo we get a second hand tank that's in a pretty pristine condition. its been cleaned out and all is good. OMG the work involved in replacing a 95 WRX petrol tank is unreal. the whole back end of the car literally has to come apart.

so the moment of truth. car is back together again. i have been and filled a 20 litre gerry can (£30). we fire the car up first time. we drive it to a garage for more petrol because we need to put a run in map in the car. bearing in mind i have already put £30 in the car, i managed to stick another £60 of SUL in the tank. I chickened out when the pump choked and as everyone knows there is another £5 of SUL that can go in after the pump chokes.

so £91 of SUL to fill a 95 WRX tank. i was shocked but i suppose not surprised. it's been a long time since my race car has any SUL in its tank.

How long was it off the road for?

bigsinky 09 April 2012 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by prodriverules (Post 10569970)
How long was it off the road for?

Too long. 6 years at the end of june

bigsinky 09 April 2012 06:08 PM

well that didn't last long. 3/4 of a tank used 180 miles. good to be out in my subaru again. :D

Leslie 10 April 2012 01:40 PM

I certainly miss mine!

Les

fivetide 10 April 2012 02:02 PM

I think the issue is unleaded generally.

Tends to turn to a sort of sludge if it is just left and it can varnish various bits of the fuel system.

If you lay it up again, do it right and drain the bloomin tank! :)

5t.

tarmac terror 10 April 2012 07:20 PM

Must keep an eye out for ya, haven't seen that motor about the roads for years!!!!!

bigsinky 11 April 2012 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by tarmac terror (Post 10571943)
Must keep an eye out for ya, haven't seen that motor about the roads for years!!!!!

all over the place at the moment. even went to Bangor today.

bigsinky 11 April 2012 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by fivetide (Post 10571478)
I think the issue is unleaded generally.

Tends to turn to a sort of sludge if it is just left and it can varnish various bits of the fuel system.

If you lay it up again, do it right and drain the bloomin tank! :)

5t.

10-4. finger crossed it won't be laid up again.

urban 11 April 2012 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by bigsinky (Post 10572575)
all over the place at the moment. even went to Bangor today.

Probably wasn't such a good idea with the parades being on.
I got caught up because of it when trying to go to a shop

ALi-B 11 April 2012 09:54 AM

You sure the sludge wasn't degraded/disolved rubber and rust from comming back through on the return lines.

But then again, I've seen the shyte that collects in the fuel tank on a car driven on normal fuel. which is why I always mandate regular fuel filter changes.

bigsinky 12 April 2012 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 10572749)
You sure the sludge wasn't degraded/disolved rubber and rust from comming back through on the return lines.

But then again, I've seen the shyte that collects in the fuel tank on a car driven on normal fuel. which is why I always mandate regular fuel filter changes.

I had a look at the petrol in the tank. it was a dark brown colour. not good. tank emptied and there is a brown sludge on the bottom of the tank. i thought i had the most of it out but having seen the tank with its two sides and a big hump up the middle there was no way on gods green earth i got all the contents out first time around.

anyway fresh tank is in and she is running sweet. nearly 400 miles on her now.