ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Big screen tv (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/931433-big-screen-tv.html)

stevebt 06 April 2012 06:53 PM

Big screen tv

Finally there is a proper sized tv so you can remove any doubt of buying a projector and its at a great price which will only go cheaper, I'll be looking at what these are priced at next year :)

http://www.powerdirect.co.uk/product...ady-LC70LE741E

Ant 06 April 2012 07:00 PM

100hz? The 3d would be poor at that rate surely?

stevebt 06 April 2012 07:18 PM

Who cares about the gimicky 3d its a 70" 1080p led tv :D It was only a couple of years ago when a 40" LEd was £2k

ALi-B 06 April 2012 07:21 PM

70 inches...is that all:

http://gizmodo.com/5442012/panasonic...biggest-tv-yet

I walked past one of these in the entrance of a Spanish electrical retailer...it was like walking past a giant space heater :D Price was around €40,000 :eek:

And forget 1080p...this 'baby' has 2160 lines :cool:

Jamz3k 06 April 2012 07:36 PM

Its a Sharp, it will be **** picture wise.

Ant 06 April 2012 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jamz3k (Post 10566390)
Its a Sharp, it will be **** picture wise.

This

JohnSmith 06 April 2012 08:18 PM

I would have thought that 1080p at 70 inches wouldn't be that impressive really

50 inch yes but 70 inch is just making the pixels bigger

But then I havent seen a projector running full HD 1080p on a large screen so can't really comment

stevebt 06 April 2012 08:23 PM

My friend has a 1080p projector on a 10ft screen and its pretty darned good but they sit 3m away from it so you have to move your head alot to watch something :)

I have an 8ft screen and a 720p 3d projector and that looks amazing, its the reason why I never bought a 60" plasma

dpb 06 April 2012 08:44 PM

I guess it works if youve your own cinema room

having said that you dont have to move your head much at the flicks ?

Jamz3k 06 April 2012 08:53 PM

4K HD Tv's and projectors will be out soon, you'll beable to buy that 70" for 400quid when they do.

JohnSmith 06 April 2012 09:24 PM

Cheers Steve

I've always preferred projectors but the quality of mine is really bad compared to TV's these days, I actually ripped out my projector and screen a year or so ago in favour of a 50 inch plasma

stevebt 06 April 2012 09:51 PM

John have a look at the Optoma range, they might be cheap but the image quality is as good as any tv. I was sceptical as i moved from a top of the range older model Sony projector but the difference was night and day.

Dingdongler 06 April 2012 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by stevebt (Post 10566323)
Finally there is a proper sized tv so you can remove any doubt of buying a projector and its at a great price which will only go cheaper, I'll be looking at what these are priced at next year :)

http://www.powerdirect.co.uk/product...ady-LC70LE741E

Not really, depends on your requirements. I have a 65 inch and I still wouldn't watch a film on it, for that I'll always use my pj.

A 70 inch still wouldn't be big enough to enjoy a proper film on. My viewing distance is about 6m so not huge.

JackTorrence 07 April 2012 09:14 AM

Sharp are crap end of. Why waste your money on a rubbish make like Sharp. When someone sees it they will be like...Wow...then they will see the brand and it will be like...oh its a sharp. Its like when you see a nice set of LED's coming your way when your driving, only to realise they are from a Kia and you lose interest immediately.

GlesgaKiss 07 April 2012 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by JackTorrence (Post 10566995)
Sharp are crap end of. Why waste your money on a rubbish make like Sharp. When someone sees it they will be like...Wow...then they will see the brand and it will be like...oh its a sharp. Its like when you see a nice set of LED's coming your way when your driving, only to realise they are from a Kia and you lose interest immediately.

This. ^^^^

ALi-B 07 April 2012 11:27 AM

Sharp used to be pretty damn good, there were at one point the biggest selling TV manufacturer and LCD producer in Japan, and one of the biggest innovators of the new technology compared to the other big brands.. Its only in the recent decade or so they started going off track with investing heavily in the research of technologies in other sectors (i.e photovoltaics) and giving less focus to A/V stuff (as its a saturated industry - hence their conjoining with Foxconn)....at the loss of the fact other makers come along and borrow their handy work (cough, Samsung).

However the conjoining of Sony Hitachi and Toshiba (S-Hi-T :D ) in a joint venture for the LCD market will probably mean the end of investment in the LCD TV technology for other Japan based makers with a decreasing global market share- meaining that future TVs will be either be S-Hi-T, Panasonic or a Korean/Chinese knock-off (the latter being immitators not innovators). ;):D

Jamz3k 07 April 2012 11:38 AM

Korean/chinese knock offs? In your dreams sonny Jim, most ****e comes from Turkey especially Hitachi. Now that is ****!

ALi-B 07 April 2012 11:48 AM

I think we need a history lesson: Look at how LG grew from nothing...

They bought production licencing from market innovators in Japan (Hitachi included). Assimilated (i.e immitate) the technology and methodologies and then used that as a step to indepedantly make their own products.

In fact Hitachi was one of the original companies that sold LG the licensing rights to their televisions (inlcuding training, product specs and production methodologies) that allowed LG to mass-manufacture their own TVs! Without Hitachi selling them the license to their technology LG would not be what it is today. It certainly bit Hitachi in the arse.

Dingdongler 07 April 2012 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by JackTorrence (Post 10566995)

:wonder::wonder:

JackTorrence 07 April 2012 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Dingdongler (Post 10568043)
:wonder::wonder:

Its good to see so many people agree with me

ronjeramy 08 April 2012 12:02 AM

I think we need to consult Bubba's UPI :D

Originally Posted by Bubba po (Post 8812874)
There is a relevant number, I believe - let's call it the UPI (Urban Pikey Index). It is the ratio of room size in square feet divided by the size of the HD screen in inches.

Hence, a 37" telly in a room of 140 square feet, gives a UPI of 140/37 = 3.78.

A 50" telly in a 100 sq. ft. room gives 100/50 = 2. The lower the UPI, the more of a chav the subject is.

I wonder what everyone's UPI is. :D

Mine's 7.03.

:lol1:

JackTorrence 08 April 2012 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by ronjeramy (Post 10568101)
I think we need to consult Bubba's UPI :D

:lol1:

Mine is 6.6 and my lounge is over 300sqft. I wanted a bigger tv but the wife put her foot down!

joey_turbo 08 April 2012 12:14 AM

Just bought a Sharp LED 3d 40 inch. I was initially worried about it being a Sharp, and thought the same about them as most people. I bought it because it was 360 quid on offer. I'm not disappointed at all one bit. Picture was a massive improvement on my series 4 samsung LCD, 40 inch. Says its made in Japan on the back, which apparently is good from them, as their crap stuff was made in Poland, apparently.

DYK 08 April 2012 07:31 AM

Just take away the S from sharp so it becomes harp.That will keep visitors guessing,they will go away with curiosity looking on the net for a harp tv that don't really exist.

This alien landed in my back yard and gave me a tv made from alien technology,its called a HARP.... :Suspiciou

hodgy0_2 08 April 2012 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 10567171)
I think we need a history lesson: Look at how LG grew from nothing...

you quite right, people have amazingly short memories - in the 60's and 70's anything made in Japan was considered cheap crap

in the 80's it was Korea, soon (if it hasn't already) China will move away from the "crap" label

stevebt 08 April 2012 09:23 AM

I think they can't be that bad as there is good and bad in all tv brands and when the price starts to drop to todays modern tv levels I think I will have one :)

This one has already dropped 80 quid in the last few days so won't be long :D

http://www.powerdirect.co.uk/product...ady-LC80LE646E

Dingdongler 08 April 2012 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by JackTorrence (Post 10568067)
Its good to see so many people agree with me

I never look at the brand of TV somebody has when I visit their house.

I don't get a semi when I see a 'nice set of LEDs' coming down the road, only to get flaccid again when it is a Kia

:lol1::lol1:

Leslie 08 April 2012 11:19 AM

I think the UBI post is the best one.

Lot of "mine's bigger" about all this!

Les