ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   how do you go about Re Taxing a car that's been tax Exempted? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/931297-how-do-you-go-about-re-taxing-a-car-thats-been-tax-exempted.html)

salsa-king 05 April 2012 04:05 PM

how do you go about Re Taxing a car that's been tax Exempted?

Looking at buying a car that's been tax exempted with the current owner (blue badge owner me thinks), so I would have to buy Tax.

Now, how would you tax it.. can you do it on line once I've bought it.

But would they have the code/tax number to allow you to buy the tax.

Do you follow me?? lol

steve ex vauxhall 05 April 2012 04:09 PM

I thought even tax exempt vehicles still had a tax disc issued, all be it with zero written where the cash amount goes?
Then it would just be a case of going to the post office as normal with insurance Mot and V5 just incase?

salsa-king 05 April 2012 04:11 PM

I think they do.. like classic car owners still have a tax disc in the screen.

John306 05 April 2012 04:13 PM

i just bought a disabled class car and had to get a form from post office, i cant remember what code but they should tell you that and take it to

Nottingham Business Park
Unit D
Orchard Place
Off Woodhouse Way
Nottingham
NG86PX

you pay for the tax and they give you the disc there and then and send you a new log book with the plg instead of disabled on it

steve ex vauxhall 05 April 2012 04:14 PM

Yeah thought so, so should still get a reminder through when it's due

Rescue Dude 05 April 2012 04:17 PM

Some info here.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Disabled...ce/DG_10028003

The V5 needs to go back to DVLA so they can put the car in the correct tax class.

"A change from disabled to another taxation class can only be carried out at a DVLA Local Office. Once the changes have been made you can tax online, by phone or at the Post OfficeŽ branch that issues tax discs next time".

500 05 April 2012 04:50 PM

You will need to change the taxation class on the v5 from disabled to plg.

You can do this by post or by going to your local office.

500 05 April 2012 04:51 PM

Bugger, wrote that about an hour ago and only just submitted it!

CrisPDuk 05 April 2012 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Rescue Dude (Post 10564845)
Some info here.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Disabled...ce/DG_10028003

The V5 needs to go back to DVLA so they can put the car in the correct tax class.

"A change from disabled to another taxation class can only be carried out at a DVLA Local Office. Once the changes have been made you can tax online, by phone or at the Post OfficeŽ branch that issues tax discs next time".

That's what I had to do with my old Micra, I had to go all the way over to Trafford Park, pay for an extortionate car parking space, sit and wait for nearly an hour, then hand over my hard earned to and collect a re-assigned tax disc :(

I don't know which DVLA office you'll use, but you can't just turn up at the Trafford Park (Salford) one, you have to pre-book by phone or internet.
I think they do it that way so they can calculate your waiting period to be just enough to really p!ss you off :mad:

hodgy0_2 05 April 2012 04:53 PM

i bought a car that was taxed exempt

I had to re-tax it at one of the DVLA Office, I could not do it at a PO

just don't go near the first of the month as it will be rammed

I seem to remember the previous owners had to take the tax disc off the car too

and I had to wait for the V5 to be sent back in my name, so I had to drive around without tax for a few weeks

Midlife...... 05 April 2012 08:29 PM

Didn't know disabled badge owners didn't pay road tax........learn something new every day.

Shaun

salsa-king 05 April 2012 08:56 PM

what happens.. I go to pick the car up.. 3hrs drive from where I live.. can I drive it back and sort out the form once I get home?

David Lock 05 April 2012 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by salsa-king (Post 10565227)
what happens.. I go to pick the car up.. 3hrs drive from where I live.. can I drive it back and sort out the form once I get home?

Just stick a wheelchair in the back - you'll be fine :)

dl

hodgy0_2 05 April 2012 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by salsa-king (Post 10565227)

no, you will not be taxed (i asked the question)

I drove anyway

salsa-king 05 April 2012 10:50 PM

so how do I tax it when i buy it, go straight to a PO and get it sorted.. or buy on line.

hodgy0_2 06 April 2012 04:48 AM

i am not sure, but I don't think you can change the taxation class at a PO

you have to do it at a DVLA office

GC8 06 April 2012 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by salsa-king (Post 10565409)
so how do I tax it when i buy it, go straight to a PO and get it sorted.. or buy on line.

Phil - buy the car and drive it to your local VRO. They will deal with the V5 and the disc. Take your proof of insurance (and MOT) and theyll sort it out, its straightforward.

No one is going to ask how the car got to Nottingham, nor will they care if youve taken a few days to get the necessary insurance documents together. Anyway, if they did you can dismiss the enquiry easily, as the vendor delivered.

salsa-king 06 April 2012 08:31 AM

what if the police pull me on the way home, after a ANPR stop.

As I had that last week on a TEST Drive from a dealer.. as the car came up with with no tax insurance.. But I was on trade plates lol

AJF 06 April 2012 08:50 AM

You need the seller to get the tax class changed before you pick it up only the legal owner can do this as your not a blue badge holder you can't be the legal owner
Also check if the car is supplied under mobility scheme normal takes a day to sort owner will need to go to a Dvla office

Adrian
Ps found out the hard way

ALi-B 06 April 2012 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by AJF (Post 10565713)
You need the seller to get the tax class changed before you pick it up only the legal owner can do this as your not a blue badge holder you can't be the legal owner
Also check if the car is supplied under mobility scheme normal takes a day to sort owner will need to go to a Dvla office

Adrian
Ps found out the hard way

This happened to my friend when he bought a car off a dealer

Previous owner was disbled and neither the old owner or dealer bothered to change the tax class...he only found out after when trying to tax it at the post office after getting it home (we drove it home on our company trade plates) had to go to the DVLA office to sort it out.

Technically speaking its the seller's responsibility to change the tax class BEFORE selling the car. So I'd give the seller some leathering over this inconvenience.

salsa-king 06 April 2012 10:03 AM

I'll speak to her and tell her to look into it, either way she needs to have it altered when she gets her new car as the tax will be swapped from one car to another. So she'll be sorting that out anyway.

So the V5 needs altering.. to a new one?

ALi-B 06 April 2012 10:11 AM

Yes, as it shows the taxation class.

Not sure if the DVLA can change the name /address of the keeper at the same time - would speed things along if they did.

The system is a pile of poop at teh moment...you can get it reclassed as disabled at the post office, but it appears that it cannot be reversed back to PLG and that has to be done by the DVLA :rolleyes: :cuckoo: (unless things have changed recently - worth a phone call to ask, I guess.)

kingofturds 06 April 2012 11:13 AM

I had to go to the dvla office to get tax a car that I had bought which was registered disabled and it was a right pain in the arse. I had to take a ticket and wait about an hour in line before I was seen by a clerk, and then because I had left my insurance document in the car I had to go get it and queue up again:brickwall.

ALi-B 06 April 2012 11:19 AM

DVLA offices are hit and miss in terms of waiting times. You have to pick your times.

For example; This/next week would be a bad time to go as many people are off work for easter. Same on weekends and also during the weeks when a new reg number is released.

(btw they'll be shut today and monday)

GC8 07 April 2012 03:21 AM

If the cars currently taxed then the chances of an ANPR stop are nil, Id have thought. Check the insurance database to ensure that either your new or their old insurance is still showing and youre away.

Leslie 07 April 2012 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Midlife...... (Post 10565198)
Didn't know disabled badge owners didn't pay road tax........learn something new every day.

Shaun

They are entitled to road tax exemption on one vehicle only if they are in receipt of the top rate of mobility allowance. That is if they have not applied for the free new car they are entitled to use under the same circumstances with the Motability Scheme.

Les