ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   How easy are dishwashers to fix? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/931219-how-easy-are-dishwashers-to-fix.html)

Steve vRS 04 April 2012 08:01 PM

How easy are dishwashers to fix?

Cause ours is not emptying itself of the water.

I'm not averse to replacing bits and have fixed tumble driers before :D

I suppose it's either blocked, a dodgy pump or valve.

Steve

RobsyUK 04 April 2012 08:26 PM

google a parts list to see the break down of each section. It should be easy enough. Probably a switch not clicking over to empty.

ScoobyWon't 04 April 2012 08:27 PM

Before you start unbolting bits and pieces, try chucking some drain cleaner down the external drainage pipe in case it's just blocked with fatty deposits. Disconnect it from the dishwasher first though (to avoid damage as Ali suggests below).

I doubt they are that hard to fix, simply down to the amount of refurbished machines that are for sale.

ALi-B 04 April 2012 08:39 PM

Not much too them: pipes, wires, circuit boards, solonoids, softener unit and pumps.

If its not pumping out its probably one of a few issues; the drain pump isn't working or its jammed/seized/blocked. if you can hear it hum, the chances are it has power to it. If no signs of humming, then its burnt out (or needs new brushes) or has no power which could mean the PCB is kaput or the wiring to it is damaged - especially if the main PCB is within the door when opening/closing the door frays the wires (been there, had it happen :D ).

All the main gubbins are at the bottom of the machine.

You can drain the unit by placing the drain hose lower than the machine so it drains under gravity (assuming there isn't a blockage)...last I did that I just dragged it to the back door and let it drain outside down the steps (if your internal floor is lower than the outside ground level, this may pose a problem ;)

PS I wouldn't use drain cleaner as its quite caustic and could corrode any metal internals such as the pump shaft (both the drain pump and circulation pump), where if they rust they tear the seals, allowing water into the bearings and then you have a noisy pump which will eventually seize.

Steve vRS 04 April 2012 08:55 PM

I'll try looking for a blockage tomorrow morning. It's a built in appliance which will make things a little trickier with regards to draining. How many pumps are there as the spray bars are still spraying?

Steve

ALi-B 04 April 2012 09:55 PM

Usually two pumps. One to circulate one to drain. The small one is almost always the drain pump and usually need to tip the dishwasher on its side or back to get access to it

Beware even when drained it will still pour water out everywhere when tipped ...wet and dry vac is handy for situations like this to use to suck up the water with (and to unblock any pipes).

lordharding 04 April 2012 10:03 PM

Is the drainage pipe connected to he tap /sink overflow ?
If so take out the pipe and clean that section first normally get bunged up at the U bend
Mix vinager and caustic soda together with salt and that will help clear all the crap and grease that builds up in the pipe that's the main cause of dishwashers blocking
Take out all the filters at the bottom and give it a good clean out probably lots of food stuck in the bottom where the pipe goes into the base and then pour kettle of boiling water down the pipes to sort it out

albob 04 April 2012 10:33 PM

as is often asked in the technical forums, about cars, ------ what make/model????

on modern machines, if they come across a problem they 'abort' the program, often leaving the machine full of water, and the lights on the fascia flash in an 'error' sequence. -- more info needed :)

Steve vRS 04 April 2012 10:53 PM

Siemens SD13WT1S

albob 04 April 2012 10:58 PM

Ohhhhh..............

put that model into google and all the results are in 'foreign' !!

are any of the lights/neons flashing ??

How old is it ????

Steve vRS 04 April 2012 11:03 PM

No lights flashing. No idea how old as it was installed in the house when we moved in.

Steve

albob 04 April 2012 11:15 PM

Ok, when a dishwasher starts its program the first thing it does is a 'purge' (just pumps for 30 seconds or so) to clear any 'liquid' that might be in to bottom of the machine.
What I would do, is pour some water into the machine so u can see where the level of water comes to - start the program, it should make a sucking/pumping sound : open door (before it starts to fill!!) ; check water level - if it has gone down = proves pump/drain circuit is OK.

If it has gone down, your prob lies elsewhere...................................!

ALi-B 04 April 2012 11:17 PM

Does it have the following stamped anywhere: SF65T350EU/29

Usually somewhere around the edges of the door along with the serial number and rating plate.

If so its this one:

https://portal.bsh-partner.com/TCcus...so0pdmdb---tmD

https://portal.bsh-partner.com/TCcus...so0pdmdb---A1E

Looks pretty similar to my built-in Bosch (albeit narrower), so probably share some of the internal parts (Bosch, Neff and Siemens are all part of the same group).

albob 04 April 2012 11:24 PM

from Ali-b's link ----

"Residual water in the appliance -The programme has not yet ended"

'simples' ---- ;) :)

ALi-B 04 April 2012 11:26 PM

PS see page 22 about pump jamming - look like the impellar maybe accessible from inside (although its not clear if its the waste pump or circulation pump :rolleyes: )

albob 04 April 2012 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 10564217)
PS see page 22 about pump jamming - look like the impellar maybe accessible from inside (although its not clear if its the waste pump or circulation pump :rolleyes: )

I'm quite impressed with that manual - vastly better than some.

My first question (its late...) to steve should have been -- "If you reset the programme, does the machine pump out" - answer no = blocked drain circuit. answer - yes = prob elsewhere

Lee247 05 April 2012 12:24 AM

Mine needs a new pump. £80 plus labour £30. I may as well bin it and get a new one. It's only 2 years old too :mad:

Steve vRS 05 April 2012 11:36 AM

REset machine, water does not pump out.

Will get my marigolds on!

Steve

Steve vRS 05 April 2012 07:04 PM

Fixed :D

A kettle of nearly boiling water back flushed and a drained removed a large amount of congealed stuff. The cycle is running now and hopefully all will end well.

Steve