ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   So who is defying the hosepipe ban tomorrow ? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/931166-so-who-is-defying-the-hosepipe-ban-tomorrow.html)

SwissTony 04 April 2012 12:44 PM

So who is defying the hosepipe ban tomorrow ?

It really get's my goat, the cheeky feekers Thames Water :razz:

They are going to spend all that money and effort sending out helicopters, vans and inspectors to check on us and enforce this ridiculous ban instead of spending the same time and effort into fixing the leaks

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/894896-t...e-hosepipe-ban

Anyway 8.8 million users, they might be busy getting round to all of us :D

tony de wonderful 04 April 2012 01:04 PM

I'll ask the butler to buy a few more cases of Evian for the lawn.

Leslie 04 April 2012 01:29 PM

If they really are short of water,surely it would be unfair on all those people who might run out completely if we were to deliberately over use the water which is left!

What is there to gain?

Les

GC8 04 April 2012 01:31 PM

All hosepipes currently frozen and under five inches of snow!

LSherratt 04 April 2012 01:51 PM

Borehole here with own water supply, suck on that. :hjtwofing:lol1:

I'll be leaving my water running just because I can! :lol1:

Turbohot 04 April 2012 01:53 PM

When the man spoke of it on the car radio, I thought he was insane for talking about the hose pipe ban in this weather. There's ample snow around to turn into water FFS. However, as the word "ban" itself is a torment, more so if it is on something like water which this country is surrounded by, I can see what the fuss is about. I am not bothered either way, as I neither wash my car on my drive nor do I water my garden. My car is still clean, and the grass doesn't seem any greener on the other side. Hence no regrets.

dpb 04 April 2012 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by LSherratt (Post 10563322)

Sell it to the plebs :D

Leslie 04 April 2012 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by LSherratt (Post 10563322)

Keep on jeering, until the ground water runs out!

Les

SwissTony 04 April 2012 03:29 PM

Its 25.7 per cent leak rate is five times higher than the five per cent that will be saved by the hosepipe ban.
Thames’ leaks would fill Wembley Stadium every 36 hours.

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/news/894896-t...#ixzz1r592aU88
Well I will be printing out this particular article and have it laminated ready when the van comes as I am out washing my cars.

They can then roll it up and use it to plug up some of the leaks...always helpful me

:thumb:

ALi-B 04 April 2012 03:49 PM

Suggest you move to an area that isn't so overpopulated. Becuase there is obvioudly too many people/houses/industry than the infrastructure can support.

No bans for me: Plenty of water here although reserves are about 10% lower than normal.

Anyhoo, why can Local water boards "buy-in" water from other parts of the country....thats what they do in Spain.

tony de wonderful 04 April 2012 03:54 PM

Immigration is partly to blame for this.

You wouldn't believe how many 'fresh of the boat' - can't barely speak English - types around where I live now. It's changing the character of the place for the worse. Making it more like Kabul.

ALi-B 04 April 2012 03:57 PM

Yes, our lack of water is totally because of all those hand car washes and nothing to do with the lack of investment, blinkered planning authorities and governments obsessed with creating new housing.

:lol1:;)

SwissTony 04 April 2012 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 10563437)
Suggest you move to an area that isn't so overpopulated. Becuase there is obvioudly too many people/houses/industry than the infrastructure can support.

Live on a road that has 40 houses on one side and a small farm on the other with nothing else but fields. Yup really overpopulated :lol1:

Gear Head 04 April 2012 04:50 PM

No frozen pipes down here in Kent.

The sun is shining and I have just had to out the office air-con on. F&ck global warming! :D

David Lock 04 April 2012 04:54 PM

And whee do you think the water from leaks goes?

Back down into the water table where the stuff came from in the first place :rolleyes:

dl

Tidgy 04 April 2012 05:07 PM

love the lack of knowledge and understanding that press have lol

chocolate_o_brian 04 April 2012 05:10 PM

Are the hosepipe bans everywhere?

What about pressure washers? They use less :D

I'm tempted to tell them to fück after the amount of pissing rain we've had today.

Tidgy 04 April 2012 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian (Post 10563569)
Are the hosepipe bans everywhere?

What about pressure washers? They use less :D

I'm tempted to tell them to fück after the amount of pissing rain we've had today.

not everywhere.

problem is volumes, a day or so of rain doesnt make up for 6 months of low rainfall

Kirstiestar 04 April 2012 06:36 PM

Better go wash the car for the last time this summer then!

jods 04 April 2012 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful (Post 10563251)
I'll ask the butler to buy a few more cases of Evian for the lawn.

I say, old chap! Evian is so passe. We use Badoit as it has a far superior mineral content, what what! :D

jods 04 April 2012 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful (Post 10563446)
Immigration is partly to blame for this.

Not for taking a shower or bath though! :nono:

Turbohot 04 April 2012 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by jods (Post 10563753)

They are, really.

Seeing them knocking about causes anger, stress, depression and all sorts of "It gets me down" reactions. This can lead to the lack of hygiene, as one is mentally occupied with the thought of the immigrants incurring extra costs to everyone's lives.
Result- Procrastinated, unawarely delayed or no showers/baths at all.
Conclusion- Immigration is partly or wholly responsible for everything going wrong; one way or another.

ScoobySteve69 04 April 2012 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by jods (Post 10563753)

Beat me to it...smelly feckers.

ScoobySteve69 04 April 2012 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Gear Head (Post 10563541)
No frozen pipes down here in Kent.

The sun is shining and I have just had to out the office air-con on. F&ck global warming! :D

That`s why you have no water though :thumb:

RobsyUK 04 April 2012 08:32 PM

They won't have helicopers checking on everyone they just hope people are sensible.

And I get what that other person said about polish car washes.. there are three here in MK where the water is continuously running even with no cars in them. And then they have hose pipes continously rinsing the chamos.

scooby red 04 April 2012 08:40 PM

Going to move to poland. No longer overpopulated there. Bath in vodka!

tony de wonderful 04 April 2012 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Turbohot (Post 10563799)
They are, really.

Seeing them knocking about causes anger, stress, depression and all sorts of "It gets me down" reactions. This can lead to the lack of hygiene, as one is mentally occupied with the thought of the immigrants incurring extra costs to everyone's lives.
Result- Procrastinated, unawarely delayed or no showers/baths at all.
Conclusion- Immigration is partly or wholly responsible for everything going wrong; one way or another.

I was being somewhat facetious, but my point is we let the population swell through immigration then seem to be puzzled that our natural resources (of which water is one) are becoming less and less adequate.

We've got conflicting aims. On one hand you have the crushing logic of Capitalism which demands more consumption and this goes hand in hand with the crushing logic of our fiscal problems which demands more tax payers. OTOH we have the 'save the world' climate change agenda as government policy which is totally diametrically opposed to the needs of Capitalism and anyone who says otherwise is a liar.

Terminator X 04 April 2012 09:14 PM

Driest 12 months since 76 apparently :thumb:

TX.

dpb 04 April 2012 10:10 PM

turn the water OFF for several hours a day , without notice , that would save a bit :lol1:

jameswrx 04 April 2012 10:19 PM

I don't get why it's a hose pipe ban only?

As far as I've heard you're not allowed to (after washing your car down with soapy water in a bucket) quickly rinse off your car with a hose pipe which could be fitted with a trigger gun. But you can wash your car down and throw dozens of buckets of water over it? Which one is more wasteful?