ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Singles (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/930106-singles.html)

dpb 26 March 2012 09:22 AM

Singles

that is without children . Do you ever worry about getting old , i mean quite old

inc where you going to leave your cash etc

caught mysel this morning

Miniman 26 March 2012 09:23 AM

Leave it to my kids? They are fecking expensive

gpssti4 26 March 2012 09:25 AM

Leave my cash! I'm spending it on the car!

Carlh 26 March 2012 10:01 AM

well, when i was single and had no dependencies, everything would have gone to my parents. i wasnt worried about critical death insurance, just plain 'ol "if im dead pay em" insurance.

Now im going to be a dad, everything has changed.

You wont be single forever!

Gear Head 26 March 2012 10:09 AM

This thread reads:

1) I am single
2) I have lots of cash
3) I have no kids
4) I want to show about the above!

:D

zs_phil 26 March 2012 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Gear Head (Post 10550336)
This thread reads:

1) I am single
2) I have lots of cash
3) I have no kids
4) I want to show about the above!

:D

I dont think thats it to be fair ;how is anyone happy going through life without kids ;to me thats a wasted life id rather be a billion in debt than have no kids

Gear Head 26 March 2012 10:27 AM

I know I was being sarcastic. :thumb:

Kids are very special and it is not something you can fully understand until you are a parent.
I thought I understood before our little boy came along, but I didn't, not in the slightest.

Ant 26 March 2012 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Gear Head (Post 10550354)

Kids are very special and it is not something you can fully understand until you are a parent.
I thought I understood before our little boy came along, but I didn't, not in the slightest.

+1

Beef 26 March 2012 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by zs_phil (Post 10550341)
I dont think thats it to be fair ;how is anyone happy going through life without kids ;to me thats a wasted life id rather be a billion in debt than have no kids

Originally Posted by Gear Head (Post 10550354)

Originally Posted by Ant (Post 10550358)
+1

:barf:

My wife (of nearly 8 years) and I have always liked this - sums up our opinion quite well:

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/family_decals.png

andys 26 March 2012 11:00 AM

+1 for beef, been married for 12 years and neither of us has ever shown any intrest in having kids

Ant 26 March 2012 11:06 AM

I read somewhere that people who don't want kids tend to have had a bad childhood themselves.

ScoobySteve69 26 March 2012 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Ant (Post 10550408)
I read somewhere that people who don't want kids tend to have had a bad childhood themselves.

Nope.

andys 26 March 2012 11:09 AM

Well not the case for us great family up bringing with lots of friends who we are still in contact with nealy 30 year later

Beef 26 March 2012 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Ant (Post 10550408)

Just goes to show you shouldn't believe everything you read! :lol:

Some people call it childless.

I call it child free.

Ant 26 March 2012 11:16 AM

Didn't say it was true

Gear Head 26 March 2012 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Beef (Post 10550412)
Just goes to show you shouldn't believe everything you read! :lol:

Some people call it childless.

I call it child free.

I thought I would miss my freedom. I really thought that I might feel some resentment towards our new addition, but nothing could be further from the truth.

When he holds his arms out (only 10 month old) for a cuddle and then nestles into your chest, it chokes me up every time.

(I admit, the early mornings are not nice, but that is what wives are for!) :D

tubbytommy 26 March 2012 11:38 AM

surely its personal choice i have friends that have no kids and they have a different lifestyle but love it, not everyone wants kids and good luck to them if they make the decision not to have them, surely better than having them and regretting it.

and before anyone says i have 2 girls 4 and 5 years old.

ScooByer Trade 26 March 2012 12:13 PM

I am single at the moment, however i think i like the idea of having kids.With having a few health probs such as mental exhuastion and stress etc, i'd still like to have kids.

Nath.

Coffin Dodger 26 March 2012 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Gear Head (Post 10550429)
When he holds his arms out (only 10 month old) for a cuddle and then nestles into your chest, it chokes me up every time.

:thumb: Although most of the time our eleven month old just tries to bite me, and he has very sharp teeth. Think he is going to be quite mischivous as he grows up.

I used to think that when I was single, was really worried that I'd grow old and die alone. So from a purely selfish point a view I found a woman who was willing to spend the rest of her life with me and bear my children purely so they can push my wheelchair around when I'm a dribbling wreck :lol1:

Coffin Dodger 26 March 2012 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by ScooByer Trade (Post 10550488)
I am single at the moment, however i think i like the idea of having kids.With having a few health probs such as mental exhuastion and stress etc, i'd still like to have kids.

Nath.

It will all pale into insignificance when you have to deal with the true exhaustion (mental and physical) that comes with young children :D

(I've been awake since 5am today :freak3:)

jonc 26 March 2012 12:18 PM

In any case, whether married or single or with or without dependencies or other living relatives, get a will drawn up, otherwise all assets/estate will all go to the Government or in accordance to intestacy rules!!

boxst 26 March 2012 12:34 PM

I had the most depressing taxi ride to the airport last week -- I thought the driver was going to commit suicide with me in the car.

The reason I mention it is that the depressing talk was about getting old and how his Mother is in a home, it costs £1K/a week has appalling care, the government pays but when you die they will claim back the £1k/week from the estate.

So to answer the original question, unless you have LOTS of cash, you will have no-one to help look after you and if anything goes wrong and you are required to go to a home that cash will go for paying your way...

dpb 26 March 2012 12:44 PM

I suppose i havnt actually travelled a huge amount ( iv been americas, africa,europe ) but actually despite being mad pc junkies i reckon we probably live in one of the best places in the world so i wouldnt mind letting it go to the country , lining lawyers pockets however probably not lol

P1Fanatic 26 March 2012 01:00 PM

Each to their own. Many people seem to have children as it is just "the done thing". Then they moan they cant do x, y & z due to lack of time, money or usually both.

Mobility kart and seeing out my years in a nice warm country here I come :)

tubbytommy 26 March 2012 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic (Post 10550545)
Each to their own. Many people seem to have children as it is just "the done thing". Then they moan they cant do x, y & z due to lack of time, money or usually both.

Mobility kart and seeing out my years in a nice warm country here I come :)

this is so true, i have a lot of respect for the people who decide they just dont want kids, rather than follow the crowd.

stilover 26 March 2012 01:17 PM

Each to their own. Personally I don't want any children of my own. I have no desire to do so at any time. Not now and not in the future.

I'm seeing someone who has children to a previous marriage, and although I get on with them fine, I can only take a few hours of them before they start getting on my nerves.

Luckily, I can go back to the seclusion of my flat for peace and quite.

There are enough bl00dy kids around anyway. The world won't miss any I might have had.

Will I look back when I'm 70 and wish I'd have had children? No.

john banks 26 March 2012 01:17 PM

Many people have kids without realising what they're getting themselves into. Once they have them, they undoubtedly enjoy some of it, but parental instincts and post-hoc rationalisation kick in.

There is hardly a population shortage, and in many ways a reverse of natural selection.

A cat is enough for us. My wife was getting a bit bored and thought that life was too easy. Four lots of redundancy, a house with lots to do and a new business to start have her on her toes again :)

Seeing stilover's post, I wholeheartedly agree!

pimmo2000 26 March 2012 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by stilover (Post 10550567)
Each to their own. Personally I don't want any children of my own. I have no desire to do so at any time. Not now and not in the future.

I'm seeing someone who has children to a previous marriage, and although I get on with them fine, I can only take a few hours of them before they start getting on my nerves.

Luckily, I can go back to the seclusion of my flat for peace and quite.

There are enough bl00dy kids around anyway. The world won't miss any I might have had.

Will I look back when I'm 70 and wish I'd have had children? No.

and I hope you don't mate, but you never know how you'll feel in the future.

tubbytommy 26 March 2012 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by pimmo2000 (Post 10550571)
and I hope you don't mate, but you never know how you'll feel in the future.

but he might be glad he didn't or so regret he did, who knows but not a reason to have them.

davyboy 26 March 2012 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by john banks (Post 10550568)
There is hardly a population shortage, and in many ways a reverse of natural selection

Unfortunately the folk choosing not to have kids, are the ones we most want to be parents! At this rate there will be a lot of kids expecting a living without actually doing anything.