ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Spitting oil out of breather (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/929892-spitting-oil-out-of-breather.html)

Turbo Tez 24 March 2012 11:04 AM

Spitting oil out of breather

Morning.

Found oil on the top of my engine this morning. After a bit of investigating I've found it to be coming from the pcv breather. When I fitted a catch can I teed this to the crankcase breather, the pipe has got hot and no loger has a tight seal. If I pull the pipe off it spits oil in my face.
I presume this is not good.
Anyone else had this? Or am I just being a Mong?

Turbo Tez 24 March 2012 05:57 PM

Looks like build time.

Perhaps blanking the dump valve and running 500 contributed.

Heyho lol.

Ginge ! 24 March 2012 06:12 PM

Blank the PCV with a bolt and vent to atmosphere and see what happens, could be faulty PCV

Turbo Tez 24 March 2012 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Ginge ! (Post 10548272)
Blank the PCV with a bolt and vent to atmosphere and see what happens, could be faulty PCV

Already bypassed pcv. Manifold side blanked off, crank end teed into crank breather to catch can.

tweaks 24 March 2012 10:52 PM

Alright Tez are you saying your getting oil up through the crankcase pipe up to the catch can ? As in pcv valve is exempt now and not used.
If so and the catch can is filling with oil rather than just misting then I think you already know what's happening mate.

Tim

Turbo Tez 24 March 2012 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by tweaks (Post 10548715)
Alright Tez are you saying your getting oil up through the crankcase pipe up to the catch can ? As in pcv valve is exempt now and not used.
If so and the catch can is filling with oil rather than just misting then I think you already know what's happening mate.

Tim

Yes I do. Was hoping for a simple breather re-route. Never mind. Looks like engine tuner time.

Baz82 25 March 2012 12:22 AM

What engine 2.0, 2.5?

tweaks 25 March 2012 10:07 AM

Tez is running a standard 2.0 and about 500 horse
Sorry to here that Tez mate seen as you've just got it all together.

Tim

Turbo Tez 25 March 2012 10:27 AM

Yep, as tweaks says. It's a standard jdm bugeye.
Got a couple of things left to check this morning. It's a strange one because the car is running perfectly, apart from ouzing oil onto the top of the block.

merlin24 25 March 2012 10:53 AM

What sort of blow by do you get when you take the oil filler cap off with the engine running ??

Mick

Turbo Tez 25 March 2012 11:16 AM

Not checked yet. Just having my shreddies then I'm going out to have a proper look.

tweaks 25 March 2012 06:50 PM

Any news Tez ?

Tim

Turbo Tez 25 March 2012 08:09 PM

Blanked the hole off. All seems fine. Starting to think its probably been doing it since I fitted the catch can. Breathing seems normal from the oil filler.